The metal thread \m/

I remember listening to them in high school around 1999 or so after finding one of their songs on napster of all places. I came across them again a few months ago and realized just how generic they are.

I've been on a Mastodon kick lately. Heard about the band a long time ago but never really gave them a listen until 2009 when Crack The Skye was released. Upon hearing that album I fell in love with the band.

I wouldn't call PR generic, not too many metal bands that arranged their songs the way they did. There's a uniqueness to the way they use their riffs imo.

Their 'sound' wasn't anything new, but when they came out there wasn't too many bands that played the way they did.

I wouldn't call PR generic, not too many metal bands that arranged their songs the way they did. There's a uniqueness to the way they use their riffs imo.

Their 'sound' wasn't anything new, but when they came out there wasn't too many bands that played the way they did.
Maybe I should stop comparing them to Pantera. For me they feel like Pantera lite.

Maybe I should stop comparing them to Pantera. For me they feel like Pantera lite.

There's elements that are similar for sure. Both are 'groove metal'. Tbh, I always felt PR were a little heavier than Pantera as weird as that may sound. I believe they use lower tunings too.

Now if you want to hear a band that sounds damn near Pantera check out 'Throwdown' on 'Venom and Tears'

In any event, Panteras not a bad band to sound like if you're going to play some metal.

There's elements that are similar for sure. Both are 'groove metal'. Tbh, I always felt PR were a little heavier than Pantera as weird as that may sound. I believe they use lower tunings too.

Now if you want to hear a band that sounds damn near Pantera check out 'Throwdown' on 'Venom and Tears'

In any event, Panteras not a bad band to sound like if you're going to play some metal.
I agree with your statement. Was listening to Vulgar Display Of Power the other day and what a freaking killer album. That album was released 25 years ago on February 25th which is the same day as my birthday. My opinion on Pantera is that during their height in the mid to late 90's there were no bands producing the type of music they were writing. Nowadays everyone has copied Pantera's sound and style but when they switched from being this glam band with the release of Cowboys From Hell in 1990 it was something new and different. I was a child when Pantera was at their height but looking back I've come to realize they were hugely influential to a ton of bands who would form in the late 90's and beyond.

Wish I was as cool as mike patton..

Here's a couple of crackers from mine boys from deutschland..

@Satanical Eve You might like Exhorder, both thier albums were released near enough the same times as Cowboys and Vulgar. Second albums more groove orientated

Last edited:
@Satanical Eve You might like Exhorder, both thier albums were released near enough the same times as Cowboys and Vulgar. Second albums more groove orientated

Fuckin' A. I love Exhorder. Their rendition of Into The Void is one of the best Sabbath covers in existence.

I was so bummed that they didn't release another album after Kyle Thomas came back sometime in 2008-2009. Then he joined Trouble to replace Eric Wagner and came out with a fucking awesome album called Distortion Field.

It doesn't matter how you wear your hair, it's what's inside your brain!

Billy Milano + Exhorder:

Back