The metal thread \m/

Has anyone on here heard of a Doom Metal band called Bongripper? I seen them on my Spotify as a suggested band after a session of Megasus. I was surprised how fucking epic they are. I thought with a name like Bongripper they were a joke band. I wanted to share that they are out there and exist if they aren't well known on here. Here are a few tracks I heard by 'em that kind of blew me away.

Sounds a bit like Epica's latest. Nothing wrong with it as such, it just sounds like an Epica album. Given they likely had to make it under lockdown, they did a good job, but I was just hoping for more.
I was hoping for more myself. I've noticed CC albums lately tend to sound the same with slight variations but that is to be expected from them at this point. I just wish they would step out of their comfort zone every now and again.

Also the third Liquid Tension Experiment album was released yesterday. I finally got to listen to it and I have to say the musicianship of Petrucci, Levin, Rudess and Portnoy is as always top notch. The album is pretty good but doesn't have the same feeling that their debut did back in 1998.

Also one of my favorite bands as of this moment King Buffalo is releasing 3 new albums this year.

This is the first single "Hebetation" off of the first album "The Burden of Restlessness" set for release on June 4th. I preordered the deluxe edition limited to 300 when preorders dropped on April 2nd.

Anyone who is a fan of Heavy Psych will enjoy King Buffalo. They are a 3 piece band formed in 2013 from Rochester in my home state of New York. This is from their 2019 set at Freak Valley Festival.

Also, Bongzilla is set to release their latest album Weedsconsin due out on April 20th. This is the third single. The band did a live version of it a couple weeks back. It has been a little less than 16 years since the band has released a new record and I am stoked.

The band Dvne released their latest album earlier this year Etemen Ænka and it is downright amazing from start to finish. In contention for album of the year and there is still a lot of other albums that haven't been released yet

Sounds a bit like Epica's latest. Nothing wrong with it as such, it just sounds like an Epica album. Given they likely had to make it under lockdown, they did a good job, but I was just hoping for more.
I had to make sure there wasn't another band called Epica

tenor.gif

7 Long Years! Finally gave us a taste and a release date.

Sick as expected but kinda wished the guitars were mixed better(a bit low). Still can't wait for the full album.

Some old shit. Classic...

Lombardo dat animal. Jeff rockin like nothing

Lombardo is probably the GOAT when it comes to metal drummers

Jamming the new Cannibal and I think it's pretty great. I mostly came for Rutan joining. I love that guy.

I've been on a huge black metal kick lately. I was a massive black metalhead back in high school, but I was such a purist that I missed out on so much great shit. Literally, (with the exception of 1st wave bands like Bathory, which I considered more "proto" BM) if it wasn't Norwegian I couldn't be bothered to give it an honest try at first. Eventually I did get into some French BM (albeit, pretty much strictly LLN stuff), and a handful of Ukrainian acts (particularly Drudkh), but I still couldn't get over that "purist" mindset.

Lately, however, I've been practically kicking myself for not taking American acts like Xasthur seriously.

Also, I've been seriously loving Panopticon

I love that, not only is it a great act from my neck of the woods (Kentucky), and not only do they put in a shit ton of bluegrass influences, but I really love that it's one of the few left-wing (specifically anarchist) BM acts out there, as opposed to all the NSBM bullshit. All the fucking cringy fascist BM out there makes me a bit embarrassed to be a fan of the genre, so it's nice to find something contrary to that.

Back