The most protected guy in boxing history?

I would not want to have to go twelve with Vasilly Jirov. Repeated sharp, but not heavy shots, lumped together 5-8 at a time? Fuck that punch drunk nonsense.

Jirov was such a pitbull! Even shot and kicked half dead he would come back and continue the onslaught. Had to be very taxing on the mental side to fight someone you just cant put away.

Very unhealthy style also for Jirov but he really was a no fucks given type of boxer.

Most of the couch potatoes here would get knocked out by these guys they're belittling though.

Well if thats the criteria we really cant critic any boxer.
I agree about the belittling part thats unnecessary but f.e. Furys opponents as of late are just a joke when even still they are quite good on a regional / national level like Otto Wallin and would bomb us out of sherdog in seconds. :D

Jirov was such a pitbull! Even shot and kicked half dead he would come back and continue the onslaught. Had to be very taxing on the mental side to fight someone you just cant put away.

Very unhealthy style also for Jirov but he really was a no fucks given type of boxer.

Well if thats the criteria we really cant critic any boxer.
I agree about the belittling part thats unnecessary but f.e. Furys opponents as of late are just a joke when even still they are quite good on a regional / national level like Otto Wallin and would bomb us out of sherdog in seconds. :D

I remember having my jaw agape during the 12th round of Toney-Jirov. Toney battered him for like the last 40 seconds of action, wilted him with a heavy liver shot then a massive left to the head followed by two more heavy lefts and rights before dropping him. He went down hard on his side and just got right back up. Insanity.

I remember having my jaw agape during the 12th round of Toney-Jirov. Toney battered him for like the last 40 seconds of action, wilted him with a heavy liver shot then a massive left to the head followed by two more heavy lefts and rights before dropping him. He went down hard on his side and just got right back up. Insanity.

Absolutely and combined with Roachs corner speak a minute earlier it makes this such an epic moment. "You have to put him on his ASS JT!!!! YOU HAVE TO!!"" Toney: "Fuck That". And then goes on to do exactly that. A very memorable moment of boxing history.

Imo you could see when Jirov got up that he was heavily concussed.

I think his training turned him into that kind of fighter, I remember reading years ago that his coach liked to take his fighters out on a boat miles out into the ocean, drop them off and make them swim back to shore.

Toney never gives Jirov credit when he talks about his toughest opponents

Gotta be Sam Langford. That Nova Scotian got nothing but protection from the real names in the fight game.

Back