The Official "Show your Stuff" Thread:

edit

Last edited:
Some hand files. Small ones. I think the ones I have are from harbor freight for like $4. I spent about 10 min on each frame with the files.
My dad has a whole massive tool box that I am sure I can find a file in when I do this.

I figure I'm going to buy an already completed upper from like Lone Wolf and just put in a threaded barrel so I can put a comp on it if I want to.

Just realized I need to take a pic of my new AR.

image1 (4).jpg

Glock 34, J-point, mod trigger, mod mag well.
PredatOBR 16in .308, 22in .260 w/ Bushnell HDMR H-59
AE MK III (Accuracy Intl) 22in 6.5 Creed w/ NightForce ATCR 5-25 Tremor 3

Then the trusty Kestral with Applied Ballistics.

Doing some range work today with the .308 & pistol. The 6.5 was a project I brought up a while back finally getting pictures of it. I compete with both the Pred and 6.5, the AI is bulky and doing it over I'd go for a different chassis - but I bought the AI back in '13, shot through the .308 barrel so I just rebarreled it.

View attachment 492277

Doing some range work today with the .308 & pistol. The 6.5 was a project I brought up a while back finally getting pictures of it. I compete with both the Pred and 6.5, the AI is bulky and doing it over I'd go for a different chassis - but I bought the AI back in '13, shot through the .308 barrel so I just rebarreled it.

ah i used to use an AI and bought one when i was a civilian in california....had to sell it cos of life lol...nice gear you have

ah i used to use an AI and bought one when i was a civilian in california....had to sell it cos of life lol...nice gear you have
Thanks man, I've been in on a few deals offered my way. I just seem to acquire guns - and they're never the cheap ones.

I really like the AI chassis. Prior to buying my own. We used to have an AI chassis, w/ Remington long action 300wms (Mk13) in our inventory. I loved it, carrying it, even low crawling with it, wasn't too bad. The Army upgraded though in favor of an all Remington setup (2010), it's a .3moa gat in some cases and .5 all day long. It's great but it's cumbersome. Add a 25x schmit scope, and an NVD, which I'd have on at night of course, made it a beast to lug around. But, when it was time, it'll get the job done.

mk-13-mod5.jpg

m2010-lrg.jpg

Thanks man, I've been in on a few deals offered my way. I just seem to acquire guns - and they're never the cheap ones.

I really like the AI chassis. Prior to buying my own. We used to have an AI chassis, w/ Remington long action 300wms (Mk13) in our inventory. I loved it, carrying it, even low crawling with it, wasn't too bad. The Army upgraded though in favor of an all Remington setup (2010), it's a .3moa gat in some cases and .5 all day long. It's great but it's cumbersome. Add a 25x schmit scope, and an NVD, which I'd have on at night of course, made it a beast to lug around. But, when it was time, it'll get the job done.

mk-13-mod5.jpg

m2010-lrg.jpg

Our sniper teams used the AWM version but quickly decided against bringing them on tasks unless they KNEW they'd be spending the day/night on the same rooftop. Beautiful weapon and chassis though!

What AR do you have at home? I'm familiar with C7 diemacos and M4s but not sure of what is a good 'build' for the civilian version and would be interested in a recommendation from you?

Last edited:
Our sniper teams used the AWM version but quickly decided against bringing them on tasks unless they KNEW they'd be spending the day/night on the same rooftop. Beautiful weapon and chassis though!

What AR do you have at home? I'm familiar with C7 diemacos and M4s but not sure of what is a good 'build' for the civilian version and would be interested in a recommendation from you?
With the AR there are so many options and so many quality parts manufacturers out there, it comes down to what you want to do with it. You can piece one together in various ways, matching upper and lower, which there’s options there too. forged or milled.

Then there’s always the option to buy a complete build from a manufacturer.

What do you plan on doing with it? And how much would you budget for it? With a few simple tools (barrel wrench, vice, and vice block) you can build it yourself.

My ARs, I have a complete junker with a giessle 3 gun trigger, krieger barrel, and trijicon MRO. The bolt, upper and lower do not match and were scored in trades, its a ~1moa gun with junk ammo. So 50 and in its not a problem. My other AR for 3 gun is a S&W MP 15, Daniel defense slim rails and a giessle trigger, vortex razor, mag pull butt stock.

I don't use a forgrip at all any more on any gun.

My general thought on ARs is I cut costs on the upper lower rails and sink that money into good triggers, barrel and optics. There's some cats on here that definitely know the AR realm better than I. Like @RerouteToRemain and @Cubo de Sangre

Last edited:
My general right on ARs is I cut costs on the upper lower rails and sink that money into good triggers, barrel and optics. There's some cats on here that definitely know the AR realm better than I. Like @RerouteToRemain and @Cubo de Sangre

Agreed on the trigger, barrel, and optic being where one's money is best spent.

Anymore though you can get a quality 2-stage trigger for under $100. Rock River's can be found on sale for like $75 or less and LaRue has been selling their MBT for $87. People can say what they want about the Rock Rivers, but I had my picky buddy try one out next to a Geissele SSA-E and he was shocked. Geissele prices seem to have fallen quite a bit in the last couple years. My guess would be it's the price and popularity of the MBT and a lot of dudes buying binary triggers. I could be wrong though.

Agreed on the trigger, barrel, and optic being where one's money is best spent.

Anymore though you can get a quality 2-stage trigger for under $100. Rock River's can be found on sale for like $75 or less and LaRue has been selling their MBT for $87. People can say what they want about the Rock Rivers, but I had my picky buddy try one out next to a Geissele SSA-E and he was shocked. Geissele prices seem to have fallen quite a bit in the last couple years. My guess would be it's the price and popularity of the MBT and a lot of dudes buying binary triggers. I could be wrong though.
My OBR has the MBT, I am happy with it. Aside from normal clean break and smooth movement to the wall of the 2 stage, I like how wide the trigger is. It's not likely not going to be replaced I feel confident in it. Which above all is the hall mark of a trigger.

My OBR has the MBT, I am happy with it. Aside from normal clean break and smooth movement to the wall of the 2 stage, I like how wide the trigger is. It's not likely not going to be replaced I feel confident in it. Which above all is the hall mark of a trigger.

This is a good example of why recommendations can be tricky. I don't like the MBT at all and it's because of the wide trigger. :D

I was thinking of a generic bastard build, something of decent enough quality to take into the bush and not fail; would not be using for real precision at distance. Budget maybe <$1000 without optic/trigger replacements etc

in addition to Geissele triggers, Rise makes some pretty good triggers for a pretty good price. I've started tossing RA-434's into my 'semi custom' builds because you can put one in a 600 dollar build and make folks think they are walking out the door with a Daniel Defense.

Forging an axe soon. Will post pics when done,

Camp Axe 4140 Steel.
edit: somehow they got rotated during upload to the dog. I apologize.

Getting up to temperature
qq1npv.jpg

Cheeks done
xnuibk.jpg

Fullering it out
4vnxag.jpg

3 cycles of normalizing before 4th cycle and quench
15wnwis.jpg

Getting to Straw Color for final hardening of edge
2rm1v75.jpg

Campe Axe
2qsp45h.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 492277

How much was that chassis? Looking into them to finish my 6.5 R700 build.

How much was that chassis? Looking into them to finish my 6.5 R700 build.
Those AI chassis are steep. That was about 1g in '12 if I remember correctly. The newer AI chassis start at 1g and go up. They're great but I think for the price there's options that more than get the job done at a lower price.

Back