The Powerlifting Thread

You want your shoulders behind the bar and knees locked out. You might want to start filming from the side to make sure you're executing a complete lift.
I can tell I'm letting my upper back round a bit, enough to where my shoulders arent behind the bar. Knees don't look locked either.

Thanks for the feedback

Looking for form advice here. This felt shittier than it looks but it still looks shitty. Lockout is soft/non existent and bar could be closer at the start I think. Then again I'm shit at these so my own critique is meaningless.

@spdrew2143 @ASUThermo

Did you get the weight too far in front of you? I have th at issue when I do that, can’t lock out.

Did you get the weight too far in front of you? I have th at issue when I do that, can’t lock out.
Its possible. The bar was crooked in front of me so I did the fat guy roll to get it closer and might have initiated the pull too early.

here's 605# filmed today from the side, focusing on standing upright at the top instead of slouched.

That was better.

You need to do that for every rep.

@ASUThermo are there universal standards that are held by every fed? I'd like to start there. Time to make the lifts look pretty.
Knees locked out, hips through, shoulders back. Usapl and uspa both have pretty strict judging though usapl is generally more nit picky. The most common thing lifters are redlighted for are ramping/hitching and soft knees.

Your second video looked pretty good. If you're planning on competing I would practice holding the lockout a little longer one in awhile. Most judges will wait about a second before giving you the down command.

Last edited:
Knees locked out, hips through, shoulders back. Usapl and uspa both have pretty strict judging though usapl is generally more nit picky. The most common thing lifters are redlighted for are ramping/hitching and soft knees.

Your second video looked pretty good. If you're planning on competing I would practice holding the lockout a little longer one in awhile. Most judges will wait about a second before giving you the down command.
Alright, thanks for the input.

405# Larsen press for a double, PR. Got 315 for 15 and wanted to see how 405 felt. It felt heavy lol. Today was dynamic upper so did the Larsens after some banded bench press.

Alright squat and deadlift are going okay but my bench has stalled completely. What do you guys do for bench workouts? Looking for some stuff to shake it up a bit.

Alright squat and deadlift are going okay but my bench has stalled completely. What do you guys do for bench workouts? Looking for some stuff to shake it up a bit.

Try increasing volume and maybe frequency. Going to 3 days has helped me a ton, on both squat and bench.

Edit: I can usually get 8+ hours of sleep, we don't have kids and I have a low stress job.

Last edited:
Try increasing volume and maybe frequency. Going to 3 days has helped me a ton, on both squat and bench.

Edit: I can usually get 8+ hours of sleep, we don't have kids and I have a low stress job.
Do you think a shorter bench that allows better foot placement is better than a wider, grippier bench that allows you to really set the upper back in place and keep the scapula locked? I swapped from the fat pad so I could get more leg drive and I notice no difference

Pulled 675 on a squat bar today with more left in the tank. Not a pr, but was happy with it considering how little ive been training.

Pulled 675 on a squat bar today with more left in the tank. Not a pr, but was happy with it considering how little ive been training.
You're a beast! Any advice for deadlifting? Also there's a deadlift comp on YT right now and subscribers can compete for a prize pool. Theyre scoring it by how much your deadlift is over your bodyweight. You could probably snipe it.

You're a beast! Any advice for deadlifting? Also there's a deadlift comp on YT right now and subscribers can compete for a prize pool. Theyre scoring it by how much your deadlift is over your bodyweight. You could probably snipe it.
I have zero interest in doing those social media type comps. What sort of deadlifting advice?

Whats your frequency and volume like for deadlift training?
Right now im only training once a week. But for the last 5 years it has been 2x a week. I've found I recover ok from high intensity, but not so well from high volume. When im getting ready for a meet i run a linear periodization sort of program. Heavy deadlift day that starts with 6's and ends with a single at the end of the cycle. My lighter day is some sort of deadlift variation sldl, deficit, block pulls, or pauses.

Rack pulled from mid shin 605x5 on Saturday and today could barely break 605 off the floor. Is this cumulative fatigue? Also did max effort upper yesterday. And speed benching Friday, so this is day 4 in a row.

Rack pulled from mid shin 605x5 on Saturday and today could barely break 605 off the floor. Is this cumulative fatigue? Also did max effort upper yesterday. And speed benching Friday, so this is day 4 in a row.
Why did you lift 4 days straight?
Sounds like fatigue is likely the problem. Could be that you're significantly weaker off the floor but I haven't read the earlier posts.

Back