The Powerlifting Thread

I'm curious as well. I recently switched to flats for squatting. Was using my old wrestling shoes, but didn't like it. Tried to get a pair of Notorious LIft slippers, but it would always sell out way too quick. I ended up getting water shoes that are almost the same as the NL slippers (same exact dimensions and sole) that was only $8.50 on Amazon. I've been squatting in them, but not completely sold. For deadlift it's awesome though. I wouldn't mind a pair of Sabo's, but don't want to spend that much. I might try the Asics matflex or Adidas box hogs

I switched to flats in November, I am in the same boat with the wrestling shoes. I am currently borrowing a pair of Sabo Deadlift shoes and they work better than my wrestling shoes, I usually stick to my addidas casual shoes for squats though. I am going to use the Sabos to squat in tonight, I'll give it some thought and let you know how it goes. I want to try the Notorious slippers, I tried the A7s for squat and they did not work for me at all.

I switched to flats in November, I am in the same boat with the wrestling shoes. I am currently borrowing a pair of Sabo Deadlift shoes and they work better than my wrestling shoes, I usually stick to my addidas casual shoes for squats though. I am going to use the Sabos to squat in tonight, I'll give it some thought and let you know how it goes. I want to try the Notorious slippers, I tried the A7s for squat and they did not work for me at all.
These are the ones I got from Amazon. I wanted the all black, but didn't have any sizes from the seller that has them for $8.50, so got this color instead. Another seller has these, but double the price. Although they have all sizes/colors. If you find a pic of the bottom of the Notorious slippers it has the same sole design as the Cheston pair. The insole is a little squishy so I can't compare how Notorious modified theres, but you can take them off, which will also bring you lower to the ground for deads. Nowhere as pretty as Notorious, but likely same functionality.

Here are the links

upload_2020-2-13_9-30-16.png

I can't see how the Sabos are any better than the Asics Matflex (or any similar wrestling shoe) for deadlifting. It's about as perfect a shoe for that task- essentially barefoot with rubber traction soles. I've tried deadlift slippers and Vibram Five Fingers and neither offer any advantages over the Matflex. I'd say just get whatever's cheapest out of these.

I pull conventional though, so a sumo puller might need the additional lateral support from Sabos.

I can't see how the Sabos are any better than the Asics Matflex (or any similar wrestling shoe) for deadlifting. It's about as perfect a shoe for that task- essentially barefoot with rubber traction soles. I've tried deadlift slippers and Vibram Five Fingers and neither offer any advantages over the Matflex. I'd say just get whatever's cheapest out of these.

I pull conventional though, so a sumo puller might need the additional lateral support from Sabos.

I pull conventional too, so for deadlift there's no issues. The rolling issue I get with certain shoes only happens on squat for me.

@deadshot138 how do you like the JBs for squats? I felt like my feet wanted to roll outward in them.
I like them. They are the best shoes I've lifted in and didnt cost much. Wanted some power lite mids from Reebok but the scheme they made are too ugly to spend $120 on.

if I were wanting to gain weight I would add waxey maize to my diet

I drink a lot of cokes, tea, gatorade, lemonade as well
Waxy maize has been debunked as a really effective supplement hasn't it? I don't know anybody that uses it. Srs question

Yeah, weird thing to spend money for the purpose of trying to bulk, but I wasn't going to say anything.

I use black Chuck Taylor All Stars. As far as stability goes, I really can't say anything bad about them.

Squats feel great, the shoe grips to just about any flooring so I feel secure and planted.
Deadlifts also feel great...trap bar/conventional/sumo...I feel very stable and comfortable in all positions. I also feel very close to the floor, there is barely anything between my feet and the ground. Also no rolling feeling when doing sumo.

The only cons about it are...
The high top isn't high enough for just that little added support.
The toe box starts out tight, but eventually stretches out.
Needs a strap around the ankle and the forefoot to be completely stable...Like Sabo shoes.

Right now they'll do until Reebok gets their shit together with the ugly ass power mid lite. Whoever chose the color scheme for the new model needs to be brought out into the street and shot.

cons_hi_black_laces_side-edit.jpg

@boingyman last night the Sabo's felt stable for me on squat, will most likely rotate between those and a few others until I finally commit to one. @WARinsertname I'm gonna throw the Chucks into the mix too, I have a couple old pairs that are barely used somewhere.

I tore the sole of my chuck Taylor's with external rotation and outward foot pressure. Before that, they were my favorite. That's when I bought the wrasslin shoes.

DBS day today. Most likely going to train in the gym at work and they have a Rogue ODB. Might use it if no one else is. Top single @ 8 is on the menu. I know a deadlift bar can make a significant difference when you're strong, but when you have a trash deadlift like me probably not, lol... Need to try to get it all in within 1.5 hours so need to keep the rest periods efficient.

When did deadlift bars start showing up anyways?

DBS day today. Most likely going to train in the gym at work and they have a Rogue ODB. Might use it if no one else is. Top single @ 8 is on the menu. I know a deadlift bar can make a significant difference when you're strong, but when you have a trash deadlift like me probably not, lol... Need to try to get it all in within 1.5 hours so need to keep the rest periods efficient.

When did deadlift bars start showing up anyways?

Okie bars in the 80s...Unless there were some before that that I am unaware of.

Okie bars in the 80s...Unless there were some before that that I am unaware of.
Now I remember hearing about that bar in the past. It's the one by RDC. I don't think I ever used it before. Definitely never competed in a meet that used it. I did mostly USAPL and USPF in the mid 2000s. Was it the multiply feds that used it? or WABDL?

Now I remember hearing about that bar in the past. It's the one by RDC. I don't think I ever used it before. Definitely never competed in a meet that used it. I did mostly USAPL and USPF in the mid 2000s. Was it the multiply feds that used it? or WABDL?

I'm not much of a history buff about it, all I know is it came about in the 80s...84 or 85. I probably wasn't born yet.lol

430lbs bench. Lifetime PR. True RPE 10 tho. First time going from 315 to 405 without throwing on a quarter in between. Think that's bad practice with a max so close to 405.

430lbs bench. Lifetime PR. True RPE 10 tho. First time going from 315 to 405 without throwing on a quarter in between. Think that's bad practice with a max so close to 405.

Congrats

Anyone have total shit days. Last night squats felt so damn heavy. Top single at same RPE was 45 pounds less then last week, however towards my last several back off sets it's like I started to feel ready to squat and started to feel stronger. I almost wanted to retake a heavy single. I know sometimes you have bad days, but also sometimes I guess I need to be more patient and work slowly if warm ups feel like trash. I tend to always rush since time is always a factor for me.

Just curious what some of you guys do on your warm up sets leading up to your work sets? Does it change depending on how you feel?

If I am feeling good and loose I usually take bigger jumps to get to the work weights. If I feel crappy or stiff I will make smaller jumps.

Back