The Road to Wing Chun applied in Combat Sports

Another fight in MMA rules

Aside from the awful commentary, nice to see a bit more live WC.
Sparring and testing is what counts

i did jeet kune do for a year before getting into bjj/mmaiw as gung ho for it but theirs a reason you dont see it the number 1 wing chun guy of china got koed by a average amateur mma fighter who was only allowed to punch and knee him no grappling dude beat him with bombs and being tough the trapping and back fist stuff especially with gloves just does not work vs a good guy

i use to love hand trapping stuff but vs a tough guy who wants to really do you harm it just isnt gonna stop him even if you do a perfect pac sao to back fist and again adding gloves to the mix you could at times use some of the blocking techniques but offensively it just isnt gonna work

people seem to forget that ufc 1-20 happened when it was nhb and guys were trying to figure out what styles were good ad every martial art was used basically and theirs a reason we came to the conclusion of boxing/kick boxing/bjj/wresling being the holy 4

For the record, complete Wing Chun is not designed for sports and contains many elements not compatible with a sporting context.
This has become a phobia @ TSF. You have TSF kung fu lovers who feel real kung fu martial arts is taking a punch in the face... "like a boss."<WhatIsThis>

A search to write content for sure... but the continuing message how Wing chun melts in MMA. Need the SBG-like special sauce. Well, you have the SBG 'functionally' trained striker, champion Conor McGregor, who got cold cocked by a wrestler ,,, one commented on by MMA as mediocre.

When will people drop the b.s. and agree basic boxing is the ticket... and how many MMA competitors can pass muster?

Last edited:
Another fight in MMA rules

Aside from the awful commentary, nice to see a bit more live WC.
Sparring and testing is what counts....
Agree on the commentary... again described in boxing lingo. Hard to tell the quality of the background... makes entertaining viewing.

i did jeet kune do for a year before getting into bjj/mmaiw as gung ho for it but theirs a reason you dont see it the number 1 wing chun guy of china got koed by a average amateur mma fighter who was only allowed to punch and knee him no grappling dude beat him with bombs and being tough the trapping and back fist stuff especially with gloves just does not work vs a good guy

i use to love hand trapping stuff but vs a tough guy who wants to really do you harm it just isnt gonna stop him even if you do a perfect pac sao to back fist and again adding gloves to the mix you could at times use some of the blocking techniques but offensively it just isnt gonna work

people seem to forget that ufc 1-20 happened when it was nhb and guys were trying to figure out what styles were good ad every martial art was used basically and theirs a reason we came to the conclusion of boxing/kick boxing/bjj/wresling being the holy 4
No question on the observable conclusion. It's how you arrived. The thesis falls apart when one considers the caliber of that populated by MMA competitors.

And sure thing,,, it's real skills to down a significantly out sized opponent by natural physique. We see the same discussion of BJJ over Judo. The wiser know the score.<GOT2>

Agree on the commentary... again described in boxing lingo. Hard to tell the quality of the background... makes entertaining viewing.

No question on the observable conclusion. It's how you arrived. The thesis falls apart when one considers the caliber of that populated by MMA competitors.

And sure thing,,, it's real skills to down a significantly out sized opponent by natural physique. We see the same discussion of BJJ over Judo. The wiser know the score.<GOT2>
experience is everything youve trained not even a year i turned pro in 2012 at 20 the shit doesnt work on average just a fact which is why i love mma is show what really works vs trained people natural selection at its finest

This has become a phobia @ TSF. You have TSF kung fu lovers who feel real kung fu martial arts is taking a punch in the face... "like a boss."<WhatIsThis>

A search to write content for sure... but the continuing message how Wing chun melts in MMA. Need the SBG-like special sauce. Well, you have the SBG 'functionally' trained striker, champion Conor McGregor, who got cold cocked by a wrestler ,,, one commented on by MMA as mediocre.

When will people drop the b.s. and agree basic boxing is the ticket... and how many MMA competitors can pass muster?
because people hate boxing for some reason mostly cause its hard been boxing since 2005 when was early teen most people dont stick to it tbh like other combat sports either guys train a year or 2 or they stick with it for the long haul and train to be a pro u hardly have just gym rats who just do it for the exercise in fighters gyms

it takes a veyr long time to get technique and flow down takes so long to even get down a proper lead hook

The more you pressure test kung fu styles, the more they ultimately turn into sanda. The over complicated demonstration moves don't work, and the logical principles of wing chun like hand trapping and attacking the centreline, when performed at their most efficient are the same techniques you see in boxing and Muay Thai.

The more you pressure test a style like kung fu and iron out the fluff and the flash, the more it loses it's visual identity as a martial art, and the more it starts to resemble what we know is tried, trie and works.

The more you pressure test kung fu styles, the more they ultimately turn into sanda. The over complicated demonstration moves don't work, and the logical principles of wing chun like hand trapping and attacking the centreline, when performed at their most efficient are the same techniques you see in boxing and Muay Thai.

The more you pressure test a style like kung fu and iron out the fluff and the flash, the more it loses it's visual identity as a martial art, and the more it starts to resemble what we know is tried, trie and works.
How could they be tested if they are forced to wear gloves, mouthpiece, a cup, and the banning of lethal techniques ;)?

experience is everything youve trained not even a year i turned pro in 2012 at 20 the shit doesnt work on average just a fact which is why i love mma is show what really works vs trained people natural selection at its finest
<HanaKimura01>Hey,,, I said it doesn't work... look who's working IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys or guy... had this posted to my attention somewhere throughout the universe....

How could they be tested if they are forced to wear gloves, mouthpiece, a cup, and the banning of lethal techniques ;)?

Why Martial Arts Are Suddenly Being Exposed as Fake
•Apr 29, 2020

Thoughty2
2.8M subscribers

yA'LL couldn't have a better spokesman.... see, I am a good sport!<HanaKimura01>

the shit doesnt work on average just a fact which is why i love mma is show what really works vs trained people natural selection at its finest

The more you pressure test boxing and kickboxing at close range, the more its been proven to fail miserably and had to evolve to incorporate 'dirty boxing'/clinch fighting and modified MT.

So great, MMA rediscovered large parts of Wing Chun in a sport context and proved that the principles and methods work at that range.

I love how anyone could think MMA validated pure boxing. That shit has to be modified into basically a different style to have any chance to work. They even get pieced up in BK boxing.

Yes, WC in MMA will look more like fighting in MMA, just as every style adapts. Show me a pure textbook MT fighter in MMA.

If you want pure cultural form WC you get the neck chops and everything else, then the "too deadly" brigade comes out even tho that stuff works if u need it. You seesaw between these views.

If I fight MMA, yes WC will have overlap with dirty boxing and MT in close range and is as good as either to get you profficient there with some other differences.

WC no rules and fighting in general no rules is a moot point that no one here is qualified to form a valid opinion on and don't reference UFC 1-4 it proves very little other than yes strikers need takedown defence.

The more you pressure test boxing and kickboxing at close range, the more its been proven to fail miserably and had to evolve to incorporate 'dirty boxing'/clinch fighting and modified MT.

So great, MMA rediscovered large parts of Wing Chun in a sport context and proved that the principles and methods work at that range.

I love how anyone could think MMA validated pure boxing. That shit has to be modified into basically a different style to have any chance to work. They even get pieced up in BK boxing.

Yes, WC in MMA will look more like fighting in MMA, just as every style adapts. Show me a pure textbook MT fighter in MMA.

If you want pure cultural form WC you get the neck chops and everything else, then the "too deadly" brigade comes out even tho that stuff works if u need it. You seesaw between these views.

If I fight MMA, yes WC will have overlap with dirty boxing and MT in close range and is as good as either to get you profficient there with some other differences.

WC no rules and fighting in general no rules is a moot point that no one here is qualified to form a valid opinion on and don't reference UFC 1-4 it proves very little other than yes strikers need takedown defence.

Boxing and kickboxing have to evolve to adjust to other full contact sports with more allowed techniques.

Wing Chun has to evolve to adjust to any moveset to all other rulesets.

people who dont know how to box think theirs no boxing in clinch range you have inside fighting and outside fighting people who never had a decent coach just dont know even if you dont box out of a underhook you can adapt from learning how to fight inside at close range to try to pretend wing chun is some good striking art guys should try to learn for mma is hilarious nobody with a pro license whos decent outside of that crazy gu who got beat to death by justin gatche would say that

Hey guys or guy... had this posted to my attention somewhere throughout the universe....

Why Martial Arts Are Suddenly Being Exposed as Fake
•Apr 29, 2020

Thoughty2
2.8M subscribers

yA'LL couldn't have a better spokesman.... see, I am a good sport!<HanaKimura01>

dude was dressed like super weird hipster couldnt watch

Boxing and kickboxing have to evolve to adjust to other full contact sports with more allowed techniques.

Wing Chun has to evolve to adjust to any moveset to all other rulesets.

Boxing must return to it's old-school roots in English bare-knuckle mma-like pre-Queensberry version or even further, to Greek pancrase.

I had to walk away and come back several times... not sure I saw it all.<{yahyou}>
dude was dressed like super weird hipster couldnt watch
He's all the rage... has million + MMA views... is being posted by YT MMA proponents right & left. Popular MMA blog channels.

So stupid, it defies all adult thinking... yet popular as frack with MMA audiences.<HanaKimura01>

The only thing Wing chun has to do to comply w combat sports is comply w the rules.<4>

I see this continuing interest in Wing Chun,,, for MMA,,, I think it's the need for topics @ TSF. But personally, I don't see how it meshes with the MMA we see of today. If anything, the quality of MMA is rolling downhill, though not without exception. A poster asked me about UFC 250, which I didn't watch. I was more interested in the disliked Tyron Woodley.

Nunes utterly dominated for 5 rounds... the competitor just trashed,,, I thought it be Nunes for sure.
Then we had Garbrant over Assuncao. Didn't excite me much... Garbrandt a very strong guy physically who typically over-powers the technically weaker competition anyhow. Just what happened.

Then the fight that casts the shadow on this thread. Eddie Wineland with all his UFC experience and contact MMA camps and sparring practice up the ynig/yang.... wiped out of the box. And here we are suggesting Wing-whatever-it-is-chun for MMA? I just don't get it when the Ham Sandwich MMA sparring training & striking can't cut it.

Know I sound like a wet blanket... but the audience for wing chun can't get a room @ the Tuf house.{<hhh]

Then I posted quite a bit about Judo Philosohy... which was picked by Rogan, et al,,, some other MMA blogs one who talked about the uniform... gi vs. no gi... and how some Judoka were good and others stunk...dunna... I'm not real enthused when Rogan's coined 100 mil,,, and my likes were reset to nearly zero.

If I only had PPV points....<21>

Back