The Shield tv show

shinobimusashi

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm watching it for the first time. Its on HULU. I'm a couple episodes into season 3.

It starts off great. First episode got me hooked right away. It cools off pretty fast but I still liked season 1. Good characters.

I started getting bored with it by the end of season 2 though. I liked the whole storyline with the guy who got his face burned, I liked where all that was going then it ended suddenly out of nowhere in the middle of season 2, which was fine but it was like they had nowhere to go after that.

Season 3 and the show is pretty formulaic. You got the street level gang storylines which are pretty weak, then you got side stories with the detectives solving homicide cases. I'm getting bored with it. Its just not anywhere near the level of writing of The Wire.

Does it get better?

I'm watching it for the first time. Its on HULU. I'm a couple episodes into season 3.

It starts off great. First episode got me hooked right away. It cools off pretty fast but I still liked season 1. Good characters.

I started getting bored with it by the end of season 2 though. I liked the whole storyline with the guy who got his face burned, I liked where all that was going then it ended suddenly out of nowhere in the middle of season 2, which was fine but it was like they had nowhere to go after that.

Season 3 and the show is pretty formulaic. You got the street level gang storylines which are pretty weak, then you got side stories with the detectives solving homicide cases. I'm getting bored with it. Its just not anywhere near the level of writing of The Wire.

Does it get better?
I enjoyed the entire series, but the 2nd season was definitely my favorite.

Overall great show. It’s been years but still one if my favourite cop shows.

Yeah, I think it definitely gets better. The season with Forrest Whitaker (season 4 I think?) was great. And season 5 is great too.

From what I remember, I'd say it's worth sticking it out till the end. Although it's been many years since I watched it. Might not hold up as well as I remember it. idk.

Gets better & better, & ends brilliantly.

Second greatest series ending of all time, behind Six Feet Under.

If you don’t start liking the show more, then ban

One of my all time favorite shows...I watched every episode first run...it’s definitely worth watching through the final episode...

I was like the opposite where I quit on the first season twice, but then once I powered through it to S2 I was hooked until the end

Season 5 was my favorite with 7 right behind it. The finale was one of the all time greats and the whole show was awesome. Dutch continues to be my favorite character with rewatches, I relate to Vic and the guys less and less the more I watch.

Okay @Loiosh , I just finished The Shield and i rank it good but not great.

Don't get me wrong as i offer up my critiques next as I did enjoy it overall. Season 4 and 5 were my fav's with the Glenn Close, Forfeiture plot line (paralleled The Wire story lines so probably why I really enjoyed it). I also really enjoyed the early Forrest Whitaker stuff.

But that leads me to my complaint. They just too often (for my taste) took characters too far. Whitaker was great but I started to disconnect from him when he went too extreme. Ya I get that you can say he got obsessed but it was too much imo. I found that same flaw with most of the characters with the constant BFF to mortal enemy to back to BFF and back to mortal enemies. i stopped caring for many of the characters due to the extreme swings.

I was ready for Shane to die long before he did and felt very little when he did. Same with Vic. Put a bullet in him already as he is not going to stop diving back into shit that puts everyone at risk.

But maybe I am just dead inside as there were very few characters I really cared about and would have grieved them dying in this show.

But overall it was a fun ride and good series. But I would just not mention it any where near the same tier of The Wire or the first few seasons of GoT.

If you have an ounce of mercy in your soul, don't read my review above.

It does stall a little bit in the middle, but picks it back up around season 4.

It's not the absolute best show ever made, but easily one of the most consistent, that always hovers around a 9 and a 7 out of 10. It never goes off the rails, like a lot of other good shows have. Always good, and sometimes spectacular, and it has one of the best endings of any show out there.

Season 3 was the weakest IMO...not to say it wasn't good, just happens to be my least favorite of a GOAT series.

Push through 3, Season 4 kicks off an insane ride to the finish.

But overall it was a fun ride and good series. But I would just not mention it any where near the same tier of The Wire or the first few seasons of GoT.

I've always put it far below those shows, no question, but still a great show, and to be honest, it ended better than either of them. Vic's interview for immunity is one of my favorite scenes ever. It may have been difficult to appreciate the weight of that scene if you binged it, but man, the weight of everything going on to so many people based on what he had to say was staggering. And then you have to consider his betrayal of Ronnie. The intensity of how they closed that off was off the chain.

It may not have aged all that well, and some of the guest star arcs may have left something to be desired, but it's a great show with a fantastic ending.

Okay @Loiosh , I just finished The Shield and i rank it good but not great.

If you have an ounce of mercy in your soul, don't read my review above.

tenor.gif

d3iyuos-85fca003-bd54-48bd-8a3f-cbf96c565683.jpg

This show is very entertaining but you are right about it getting kind of repetitive. That's why when I used to watch the show I would only view no more than 2 or 3 episodes per night. Like someguys said, it really pays off in the end. There are a lot shows that become very stale or have a really disappointing finale. That's not the case with the Shield.

Last edited:

Agreed with this. Ban worthy not enjoying The Shield.

Anthony Anderson did great in Season 4 away from from his usual typecasting.

Glenn Close was good, and Forrest Whittaker killed it....

"He's just pissing on us!!!"

Anthony Anderson did great in Season 4 away from from his usual typecasting.

Glenn Close was good, and Forrest Whittaker killed it....

"He's just pissing on us!!!"
Agreed with this. Ban worthy not enjoying The Shield.
I definitely enjoyed it. It's a good show.

Loved the Glen Close arc. Best of show IMO. Forrest could have and would have been in my view up until they took it too far (for my taste).

For me Forrest pushing the envelop equals good. Shredding it and going full rogue and despot was just too much.

It's the greatest show of all time and the last episode is just as good as any other. It all makes sense and builds up flawlessly + doesn't bore you with stale direction and editing. The pacing and action are satisfying and were ahead of their time. I'm a big time fan, though, so heavily biased.

I will say, though, if you're not digging the characters and the dynamic between them, if you're just in it for the intrigue of the plot then maybe don't watch further. Cause the show relies a lot on you giving a shit about these people. I've rewatched it a couple of times and, for me, it only gets better.

One of the most fun, heartbreaking and just stories ever told.

Top 10 - 15 TV show

Not as good as the wire

Back