The Summer of George

I hope there will be news tomorrow, so far nothing. And yeah, I'm pretty happy with how things are going, especially considering the downtime...

Forgot to log Tuesday's rugby practice: conditioning and touch, did okay.
Also I got a no for the job. Fuck 'em, I'm already invited for several other tests...

Rugby practice tonight: More weird games and a lot of touch. Can't wait to get back into contact training but I guess some work on the beautiful parts of the game will only make me better.

Squat
140x6
120x3x5

RDL
115x6x5

Pulldown, medium grip
65x12,9,8,6

Seated Shrug
70x12x4

Kelso-Shrugs on Hammer Bench Press
50x12x4

-Squatting after getting back into rugby practice sucks, but it's gotta be done.

Bench Press
75x6
65x3x4, x10

Incline Bench
55x6x5

DB Row
36+36x12, x10x3

Occluded Superset Brodown/Plate Curl
20/20x30, x20x4

4-Way Neck Machine
10/15/20x90

-My weekly training schedule will probably look something like this in the future:
Sunday-Squat
Monday-Bench
Tuesday-Rugby
Wednesday-DL
Thursday-Press
Friday-Rugby
Saturday-Rest

Rugby practice: Handling drills, more handling drills, some touch. Not as much running which is nice and some talk on possible tactics for the next season.

Deadlift
160x6
120x3x5

Front Squat
70x6x5

Pulldown, neutral
65x12,10,8,6

Dip Machine
90x12x4

-Took yesterday off, probably a smart decision. Training was good.

Rugby practice in 30+°C heat is...special. Some conditioning, lots of plays to get used to the new structure, had a few nice touches, no major fuckups. Am happy.

Bad luck with the job, sure something better will come your way. Training appears to be going very well though!

For sure. But I will have to figure out a smart way to lift once the season starts and we start training with proper contact, I'm already struggling with proper recovery and that will make it much worse. Speaking of recovery, I'll be spending the next week away from home with some relatives as my niece has her first day of school. No lifting, no rugby, but I'll be doing something.

Press
65x3 (should have been six)
55x3x5

DB Bench
24+24x6x5

Face Pull
24x12,10,8,6

-Worst training session I had in years. Way too warm, undercaffeinated, underfed, stressed out, tired and when I arrived at the gym I found that my shaker had opened and there was whey protein isolate powder everywhere in there.

So my gym had to close for four weeks due to people not doing what they were supposed to 'rona-wise. Did BJJ and a bunch of rugby during that. Today was my first day back.

Squat

145x4
125x2x5

RDL
120x5x5

Pulldown, mid
55x10,9,8,7

Shrugs
100x10x4

Cable Upright Row
25x18,15,12,9

In other news: The Summer of George will come to an end in October. I scored a pretty well-paid job at a big company, doing what I did the last two years. Free food, pretty nice gym at the offices, I'm happy as fuck.

Rugby practice, 90 minutes. Lineouts, lineouts, lineouts. Some tactical walkthroughs.

Bench
77.5x4
67.5x2x4, x5

Incline Bench
57.5x5x5

DB Row
38+38x10,8,8,6

Pulldown, narrow/underhand
65x10,6,5,4

Side Raise
6+6x18x4

Hammer Curls
12+12x18, 18, 12, 10

Face Pulls
20x18, 15, 12, 9

Rugby practice: Some lineouts, some scrums, walkthroughs for the weekend. Solid work done at scrumtime where I got the better of one of the first team's props, which was quite lovely. I'll also be co-captain on Sunday. First time ever doing such a thing, but I'll be alright.

Pre-season game: We narrowly lost due to the other team having many more subs, but it still was a really good game. Gotta get the structures to really work for us, but set piece was looking pretty good and I got some good hits in. This season will be fun.

I guess I'll call this the Summer of George part two. Gyms opened up again today, rugby practice has been on again since last week.
In the meanwhile I trained at home, high reps with my trusty DBs and my spinning bike mostly. I also lost close to 20kg of weight, most if not all fat. Feels good, especially on the rugby pitch.

I will have rugby practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays and will try to get my strength training, 5/3/1 two days a week, in on Friday and Sunday. I might need to change that once we play again or I get back to doing some BJJ.
Recovery after rugby practice has been much, much better since losing weight but it's still a lot of work and a lot of time spent over 150BPM.
We'll see.

Training maxes are Squat 150kg, Bench 80kg, DL 170kg, Press 67.5kg. Squat/Bench and DL/Press with a little assistance.

Last edited:
Squat
97.5, 112.5, 127.5 x5

Bench
52.5, 60, 67.5 x5

RDL
110 x6, 8, 8, 8

DB-Row
30+30x8x4

-First proper lifting session since December
-Still really feeling yesterday's practice and it's fucking weird using the second to last hole in my lifting belt all of a sudden

Press
45, 50, 57.5 x5
45x8x3

Deadlift
110, 127.5, 145 x5
110x8x4

-Short but sweet training session

Back