The Trenches Ep. 39 Poll: Do you support Dana White's Contender Series Talent Search Strategy?

Do you support Dana White's Contender Series talent search strategy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I support it. The roster has 600 fighters, and WME wastes all of its PR money on 3 of them. New fighters need to stand out, on their own, with performances that are memorable and impressive.

I don't know what to think about it to be honest.. I liked the other one more, the looking for a fight one where he'd go do adventures on the side.. I think he should revive that show instead.

Another strange poll question

Dana IS looking for the best fighters, largely. He's just looking for the most entertaining of that bunch

You know what's exciting? When a guy smashes his opponent. You know why he can smash his opponent? Because he's better than his opponent by a wide margin.
If you have to eek out wins in what amounts to being a regional MMA show, why should they bother investing in you in this particular format? What makes you any different than any other regional MMA fighter who is good at MMA.

In ANY sport, players or teams with the potential to be great blow out lesser competition. Dana is looking for people who can blow out the opposition because that shows they have the potential to be great. Its a great concept, and actually serves to incentive fighters to fight in a way that puts them in a position to maximize their chances of winning with high risk, high reward strategies

If you can't blow the doors off a regional fighter, then you deserve to grind your way into the UFC the normal way.
And also, taking fighters down at end of rounds is a stupid stratetgy that relies on refs being dumb, and isn't an actual manipulation of the scoring criteria. People are lucky it works

He chose a guy that used L&P over the guy who was more exciting, because of a single takedown. Oh yeah, guy he picked was also an Ali fighter. It’s super apparent which guys are getting the spot, from the get go. All some fighters have to do is show up and win, and they’re guaranteed picked.

Back