The Trenches, Episode 20 Poll: Did NSAC do the right thing issuing Jon Jones a license for UFC 235?

Did the NSAC do the right thing in issuing a temp license to Jon Jones so he could fight at UFC 235?

• Total voters

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score

Sherdog Main Page writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos want to talk things over and answer your questions on a Live Video Chat series titled "The Trenches," airing Thursday at 9:30 PM ET/6:30 PM PT.

We also want your thoughts on a poll posted in this thread, with this week's poll question asking the following:

Did the Nevada State Athletic Commission do the right thing in issuing a temporary license to Jon Jones so he could compete at UFC 235 in Las Vegas?

Chime in on the conversation by voting in our poll or posting any fight questions you have.

Ant holds over 15 years of martial arts experience, training in multiple styles including Boxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Kung Fu and Krav Maga, and also coached amateur MMA fighters. A former Sherdog Radio Network personality and current contributor to Sherdog.com, this self-described "gym rat" seeks to impart his knowledge and discuss all things MMA with his fellow community members.

A journalist by trade, Jason has also co-hosted and produced multiple podcasts (including the "Fight Strength Podcast" with American Top Team trainer Phil Daru) over the years. He has contributed for several publications, and was a Senior Editor for MMASucka.com before landing at Sherdog. Along with his plethora of articles based on his exclusive interviews, Jason frequently covers live events for the site, chronicling the happenings with his growing photographic talents.

Select questions from this thread will be answered in the article, and additional questions from this thread may be used in an upcoming episode of live video chat series 'The Trenches,' hosted on the forum every Thursday. Below are links to previous episodes of that series as well as his previous 'Ask Ant' articles.

The Trenches Episodes:

Ask Ant Articles:

Thank you, and please be respectful. We appreciate it.

Last edited:
ATTN: Ant Walker

What is you opinion on the UFC and it's counterpart drug testing program USADA making a mockery of themselves and thus the " sport " they promote ??

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, the majority of people want to know why after all these years of steroids in all major sports - No one has ever heard of them 'pulsing' out 'picograms' years later during tests.....

Would you like to see an MMA version of the Royal Rumble?

Would you like to see an MMA version of the Royal Rumble?
That's the kind of question we can definitely address towards the end of the broadcast, they'll get a kick out of it.

Ryan Bader is ( for lack of a better word) a UFC reject. Do you guys think that him becoming a double champ in Bellator increases the average MMA fans perception of the UFC and the quality of fighters they have on their roster as a result?

If either Gastelum or Whittaker withdraw from their fight at UFC 234, between Anderson and Israel, who gets the shot at being the replacement?

At this point in time, which two fighters from any MMA organization competing today, generate the highest number of PPV sales fighting each other?

If we are to believe that Khabib will not return until the suspension for his teammates of 12 months is expired like he says. Then what would be the reason of him doing a PSA for an anti-bullying campaign to reduce his sentence from 9 months to 6?

Last edited:
In wrestling and in brazilian jiu jitsu you can go pretty hard very often. You get a lot of the feel of a fight in there.

How is it different to prepare for a stand up fight? How do you do it without getting too much damage in training? How do you go from low intensity sparring to a real fight where someone tries to ”take your head off”?

For the love of all that is holy...

What is going on at FLW and WFW?

I’m prepared for both to go. But I’d just like something concrete here.

What is the UFC doing with these two divisions?

Thank you.

Attn: Ant Walker

Weight cutting is a huge part of MMA. Many fighters, especially with wrestling backgrounds, have been cutting weight since their youth. With more and more studies identifying that health problems are a result of routine weight cutting, my question is:

Do you believe that there is any room for prominent MMA orgs to adjust policies to change the weigh-in culture in a way to discourage it?

For example, change the policy and conduct weigh-ins 12 to 8 hours prior to a fight or have officials capture weight three days prior and regulate the amount of weight loss, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Ant i have a few questions here mostly regarding specific UFC divisions title pictures .

What do you think about Gaethje vs Barboza and do you agree that thats the best fight entertaining-wise to be made right now ?

Do you agree that the winner of Assuncao-Moraes 2 deserves the next crack at the 135 belt ?

If Moicano gets past the legend in Jose Aldo (Which is no easy task) does he get a crack at the 145 title ?

Do you think that UFC is giving Adesanya the Silva fight so they could push him faster in a easier way towards the title shot ? And do you think that if Paulo Costa wins against Romero he should be in front of Adesanya for a title shot . (In my opinion Jacare deserves the next title shot)

With DC possibly retiring in March who do you think should fight for the vacant HW title ? Stipe vs Cain (If he beats Ngannou) would be a great one.

Ben Askren seems to be looking past Robbie Lawler , Thats a bad thing to do when you will be facing one of the toughest and most vicious welterweights who also happens to be a former champ ever even though he is coming off a knee injury . Some of the recent examples of fighters looking past their opponents were (TJ looking past Cejudo , Hernandez looking past Cowboy , Lee loking past Al) and that didnt end well for any of them.

Last edited:
Khabib was suspended for 9 months with a $500k fine which can be reduced to 6 months if he stars in an anti-bullying campaign. Conor was suspended for 6 months with a $50k fine.

Any questions on this?

As a note, The Trenches on this Thursday may be a little delayed, as the UFC 235 press conference begins at 5pm and should probably carry on until 6, and then Ant, who will be on scene, will need to get to a place where he can host the show. I'll update accordingly.

Khabib was suspended for 9 months with a $500k fine which can be reduced to 6 months if he stars in an anti-bullying campaign. Conor was suspended for 6 months with a $50k fine.

Any questions on this?
Yeah.
What are Ant thoughts on Khabib delaying his return because of his teammates suspension dates and what should UFC do with Tony Ferguson who apparently is healthy and good to fight should they create another interim belt (Would that make him the only fighter to fight for a interim belt twice without fighting for the undisputed?) or should Tony wait for Khabib ? . I have a feeling UFC will try to make Tony fight another contender in hopes of him losing so they can make the most pointless rematch since Jacare vs Camozzi 2 to be honest i dont see how anyone would really like to see the rematch of a one-sided fight its not like Conor fought again after that and showed massive improvements or something like that.

So the press conference will actually be airing at 8 PM ET tonight, and not what I mentioned earlier (it's 5 PM PT) so The Trenches tonight will be delayed until the press conference is over. This likely means it will start around 9-9:30 PM ET tonight.

* Is bad blood brewing between the Nevada State Commission and the UFC? First the Jon Jones steroid debacle, and now the McGregor-Khabib fallout which seems to have left everyone angry. Do you think this quarrel will escalate and have genuine consequences for the UFC's business in Nevada -- or will the almighty dollar triumph supreme?

* Recently, the NSAC has announced that they want to suspend and fine fighters over pre-fight trash-talk because of the McGregor-Khabib debacle. Do you think this is good or bad for the sport? I must say, the UFC seemed really gleeful that their rivalry almost spiralled into ethnic warfare.

Not in my opinion.

The female commissioner made the right comment: The scientists suggest that there's no proof he re-ingested Turinabol, but there's also no evidence he did not re-ingest Turinabol. As a couple of them stated -- he could have easily re-ingested Turinabol during the 10 months he went untested.

In that situation, they are duty bound to assume he re-ingested. Should have been a minimum 18 month suspension with mitigating factors of possible "pulsing".

Obviously the press conference is still on, so we're pushing it tentatively back to 9:30 (30 minutes), but likely it will start after that.

So... Dana just announced that Holm vs Ladd is cancelled, no details... What fight would you like to see replace it on the PPV... Zabit vs Stephens?

From a fan perspective, yes.

Jon is not the "best person in the world" but he's arguably the best talent in the cage....and not counting DC the only fighter worthy of being on a PPV (outside of curtain jerkers) at 205.

I could complain about him for outside of the cage stuff....but I'd still tune in if I'm being honest with myself...

Back