The Trenches, Episode 21 Poll: Does Adesanya Deserve a Title Shot if He Beats Silva at UFC 234?

Does Israel Adesanya deserve a title shot if he beats Anderson Silva this weekend at UFC 234?

• Total voters

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score

NOTE: We are debuting a new feature called LIVE THREADS, starting in this thread. To enable them, click on your status bar (Your username on top of the screen) and go down to "Join User Groups". If you join in on the "Live Threads" usergroup, you will automatically be a part of this.

What it means is that you will not longer have to update the thread when viewing it, as new posts will be added automatically.

Sherdog Main Page writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos want to talk things over and answer your questions on a Live Video Chat series titled "The Trenches," airing Thursday at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT.

We also want your thoughts on a poll posted in this thread, with this week's poll question asking the following:

Does Israel Adesanya deserve a title shot if he beats Anderson Silva at UFC 234?

Chime in on the conversation by voting in our poll or posting any fight questions you have.

Ant holds over 15 years of martial arts experience, training in multiple styles including Boxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Kung Fu and Krav Maga, and also coached amateur MMA fighters. A former Sherdog Radio Network personality and current contributor to Sherdog.com, this self-described "gym rat" seeks to impart his knowledge and discuss all things MMA with his fellow community members.

A journalist by trade, Jason has also co-hosted and produced multiple podcasts (including the "Fight Strength Podcast" with American Top Team trainer Phil Daru) over the years. He has contributed for several publications, and was a Senior Editor for MMASucka.com before landing at Sherdog. Along with his plethora of articles based on his exclusive interviews, Jason frequently covers live events for the site, chronicling the happenings with his growing photographic talents.

Select questions from this thread will be answered in the article, and additional questions from this thread may be used in an upcoming episode of live video chat series 'The Trenches,' hosted on the forum every Thursday. Below are links to previous episodes of that series as well as his previous 'Ask Ant' articles.

The Trenches Episodes:

Ask Ant Articles:

Thank you, and please be respectful. We appreciate it.

Last edited:
Who do you think gets knocked down first in the upcoming MW title fight between Robert Whittaker vs Kelvin Gastelum?

Thoughts on instant rematches? They’ve become a thing after UFC 104 after Machida/Shogun. When is it appropriate for an instant rematch? Why does the UFC keep puttting on instant rematches that don’t really make sense, like TJ/Garbrandt 2?

Sherdog Main Page writer Ant Walker wants your questions for his weekly column titled 'Ask Ant,' where he will gladly answer any and all combat sports questions you may have.

Ant holds over 15 years of martial arts experience, training in multiple styles including Boxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Kung Fu and Krav Maga, and also coached amateur MMA fighters. A former Sherdog Radio Network personality and current contributor to Sherdog.com, this self-described "gym rat" seeks to impart his knowledge and discuss all things MMA with his fellow community members.

Select questions from this thread will be answered in the article, and additional questions from this thread may be used in an upcoming episode of live video chat series 'The Trenches,' hosted on the forum every Thursday. Below are links to previous episodes of that series as well as his previous 'Ask Ant' articles.

The Trenches Episodes:

Ask Ant Articles:

Thank you, and please be respectful. We appreciate it.
Will *he* pulse again?
Have you toyed with any ideas on handling this in the future ?

Do you think we could get more exciting fights and more finishes if UFC started docking pay for going to decision?

In terms of conditioning, is diet more important than cardio?

Also, what are the most effective supplements that you have seen provide quantifiable benefits to the average MMA athlete?

Ryan Bader is ( for lack of a better word) a UFC reject. Do you guys think that him becoming a double champ in Bellator increases the average MMA fans perception of the UFC and the quality of fighters they have on their roster as a result?

If either Gastelum or Whittaker withdraw from their fight at UFC 234, between Anderson and Israel, who gets the shot at being the replacement?

At this point in time, which two fighters from any MMA organization competing today, generate the highest number of PPV sales fighting each other?

What division gives Jose Aldo better options these days? Staying at FW or moving up to LW?

Does Stipe deserve the rematch against DC? If not, other than Jones and Lesnar, who would be the best fight DC can make?

With Khabib staying out the full year due to his friends 1 year suspension. Do you guys think he should be stripped or not?

Last edited:
If either Gastelum or Whittaker withdraw from their fight at UFC 234, between Anderson and Israel, who gets the shot at being the replacement?
Calling it now. Gastelum withdraws due to illness (ringworm), Adesanya pulled from the matchup to fight for the MW belt, Anderson Silva faces off against Sam Alvey and Alvey wins a controversial split decision.

Do you think we could get more exciting fights and more finishes if UFC started docking pay for going to decision?

I'm going to ask the opposite: Do you think we could get more exciting finishes and more finishes if the UFC started guaranteeing a bonus for finishes (say $50,000 for POTN and FOTN still, but maybe an extra $10,000 for all other finishes)?

Calling it now. Gastelum withdraws due to illness (ringworm), Adesanya pulled from the matchup to fight for the MW belt, Anderson Silva faces off against Sam Alvey and Alvey wins a controversial split decision.

<mma4>

I'm going to ask the opposite: Do you think we could get more exciting finishes and more finishes if the UFC started guaranteeing a bonus for finishes (say $50,000 for POTN and FOTN still, but maybe an extra $10,000 for all other finishes)?
That's a good question.
I know TUF has $5,000 finish bonuses for any fight on the show, I'd love to know the finish rate of TUF seasons.
As far as I know, Titan FC has finish bonuses.
I think Cage Warriors had unusual finish bonuses a while back, where if a fighter won by certain ways, they'd pocket a couple extra grand.

Paying them extra for doing job could work better than not paying them for not finishing a job. Either way, you get a lot less coasting and point sparring

Paying them extra for doing job could work better than not paying them for not finishing a job. Either way, you get a lot less coasting and point sparring

Yeah, I just figured there's enough trouble with fighters not getting paid what they're worth, why not make it a bonus thing rather than a penalty.

If Max moves up to 155 and Aldo decides to not call it a career just yet do you think he can still get the belt?

Now with title hopes being kinda over for Assuncao do you think he can ever pull off a Bisping(Winning the belt after looking to be completely done in the title contention) ?

Do you think that UFC made a mistake giving Moicano to Aldo ? Since Aldo had really nothing to gain from that fight in regards of moving forward towards the title since he lost 2x to Max and in my opinion Aldo should have been the clear favorite in that fight while Moicano was probably the next in line.

Which fight should determine the next title challenger at 145 ? I think Edgar vs Volkanovski would be good . If they want to give Aldo another contender they should give him a title shot too because he is just going to keep beating them and killing the division in my opinion.

Yeah, I just figured there's enough trouble with fighters not getting paid what they're worth, why not make it a bonus thing rather than a penalty.
Only bc I'm a blue collar republican and believe not finishing a job doesn't get bonuses lol. Your way still works, payouts for exceeding.

Only bc I'm a blue collar republican and believe not finishing a job doesn't get bonuses lol. Your way still works, payouts for exceeding.
Alright, I can see that side too. lol

Who would win? One top15 manlet fighter, or 5 sherdog neckbeards?

*Octagon terrain, Mountain dew available mid-round, fedoras banned.

Poll has been added, and we are debuting a new forum feature tonight starting in this thread, so stay tuned!

Not IMO. Let him fight Jacare for the #1 contender spot.

Last edited:
Nobody that doesn't fight Romero deserves a title-shot at MW.

Back