The Trenches, Episode 25 Poll: Has BJ Penn's legacy been tainted by 6 consecutive defeats?

Has B.J. Penn’s legacy been tainted by six consecutive defeats in the twilight of his career?

• Total voters

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score

NOTE
: We are implementing a new feature called LIVE THREADS. To enable them, click on your status bar (Your username on top of the screen) and go down to "Join User Groups". If you join in on the "Live Threads" usergroup, you will automatically be a part of this.

What it means is that you will not longer have to update the thread when viewing it, as new posts will be added automatically.

Sherdog Main Page writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos want to talk things over and answer your questions on a Live Video Chat series titled "The Trenches," airing Thursday at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT.

We also want your thoughts on a poll posted in this thread, with this week's poll question asking the following:

Has B.J. Penn’s legacy been tainted by six consecutive defeats in the twilight of his career?

Chime in on the conversation by voting in our poll or posting any fight questions you have.

Ant holds over 15 years of martial arts experience, training in multiple styles including Boxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Kung Fu and Krav Maga, and also coached amateur MMA fighters. A former Sherdog Radio Network personality and current contributor to Sherdog.com, this self-described "gym rat" seeks to impart his knowledge and discuss all things MMA with his fellow community members.

A journalist by trade, Jason has also co-hosted and produced multiple podcasts (including the "Fight Strength Podcast" with American Top Team trainer Phil Daru) over the years. He has contributed for several publications, and was a Senior Editor for MMASucka.com before landing at Sherdog. Along with his plethora of articles based on his exclusive interviews, Jason frequently covers live events for the site, chronicling the happenings with his growing photographic talents.

Select questions from this thread will be answered in the article, and additional questions from this thread may be used in an upcoming episode of live video chat series 'The Trenches,' hosted on the forum every Thursday. Below are links to previous episodes of that series as well as his previous 'Ask Ant' articles.

The Trenches Episodes:

Ask Ant Articles:

Thank you, and please be respectful. We appreciate it.

Last edited:
Since i can't ask questions about MMA in relation to hairlines (sorry, my bad);

With the current knowledge about brain damage... where we know basically any hit to the head will cause SOME damage, and pretty serious brain damage seems inevitable for fighters who take a lot of hits during their career.. should full contact martial arts be forbidden for anyone under 21 in your opinion? And did it change you view on the sport?

WHY IS BJ FIGHTING GUIDA?!?!!
tenor.gif

What is your opinion on the Lawler v Askren stoppage, and did you have a similar opinion after the Lee v Chiesa stoppage? If not, why?

Yo Ant. Speculation time... do you think Conor is more likely to return for UFC 237 in Rio or UFC 238 in Chicago??? Or 239 in Vegas for International Fight Week???
-->Waste of $$$$ to put him on a non-PPV card (never will be on a Fight Night)
-->Makes sense to pair him w lower draw title in the co-main... Cormier-Brock/Stipe is out, Bones Jones is out as co-mains
-->Feather, Light, and Middleweight are tied up at 236
-->Conor said he wants to fight in Brazil (237). He also would love the Irish crowd in Chicago (238) like he did in NYC

For anyone who wants to debate --> Rio (237) is too quick a turnaround for Bones-Thiago, even though Bones wants to be active this year and as siiiickkkkkk as it would be to see Thiago contend in front of the hometown crowd. Conor gets Rio in May and Bones-Thiago happens in Chicago (238), even though Bones-Thiago in Rio and and Conor in Chicago would get the most fucking hyyyyyyppppeeeeeee. Cormier-Brock happens in Vegas for International Fight Week at 239 bc $$$$ + eyeballs.

JEI YOU KNOW THEY'LL HAVE TAKES ON THIS QUESTION!!!!! PICK IT!!!!!!!!!!

Can the UFC benefit from implementing an Open Weight Grand Prix style tournament and would the current "fan-base" be approving of such an event? Can historical Pride era tournaments work in today's multi-divisional setting or would this be a failure economically to the company.

Yo Ant. Speculation time... do you think Conor is more likely to return for UFC 237 in Rio or UFC 238 in Chicago??? Or 239 in Vegas for International Fight Week???
-->Waste of $$$$ to put him on a non-PPV card (never will be on a Fight Night)
-->Makes sense to pair him w lower draw title in the co-main... Cormier-Brock/Stipe is out, Bones Jones is out as co-mains
-->Feather, Light, and Middleweight are tied up at 236
-->Conor said he wants to fight in Brazil (237). He also would love the Irish crowd in Chicago (238) like he did in NYC

For anyone who wants to debate --> Rio (237) is too quick a turnaround for Bones-Thiago, even though Bones wants to be active this year and as siiiickkkkkk as it would be to see Thiago contend in front of the hometown crowd. Conor gets Rio in May and Bones-Thiago happens in Chicago (238), even though Bones-Thiago in Rio and and Conor in Chicago would get the most fucking hyyyyyyppppeeeeeee. Cormier-Brock happens in Vegas for International Fight Week at 239 bc $$$$ + eyeballs.

JEI YOU KNOW THEY'LL HAVE TAKES ON THIS QUESTION!!!!! PICK IT!!!!!!!!!!
Killashaw-Moraes in Rio??????? Both took minimal damage in their last fight. Just need enough time for Band... I mean Fight Camp

Well I'll blame Wichita if no one's posting this week.

Yo Jei. Give me another shoutout. Ant + Burgos... I'll ask for a third time --> How does the talent in ONE (excluding DJ and EA) compare to the talent in the major North American promotions UFC/Bellator/PFL? Is this/How much is this promotion worth my time?

Their only champion with >1 fight in UFC/Bellator is Brandon Vera and he was 8-7... but CAPTAIN CREDENTIAL LOOOOOOOOOOVES ya boi Aung La N Sang and he's gonna be killin' it at that Tokyo event on March 31. WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOOOOOO???????? WILL MY FRIENDS LAUGH AT ME?????????????????????

How does it feel to be the second most famous Walker in MMA now?

and more seriously, who would you put Johnny Walker in with next?

Hi Ant. UFC on ESPN+ 4 Saturday in Wichita. Which fights interest you?
Main Card (ESPN+)
Weight class
Method Round Time Notes
Heavyweight Derrick Lewis vs. Junior dos Santos
Welterweight Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos vs. Curtis Millender
Welterweight Tim Means vs. Niko Price
Heavyweight Blagoy Ivanov vs. Ben Rothwell
Lightweight Beneil Dariush vs. Drew Dober
Middleweight Tim Boetsch vs. Omari Akhmedov
Preliminary Card (ESPN+)
Welterweight Anthony Rocco Martin vs. Sérgio Moraes
Women's Bantamweight Marion Reneau vs. Yana Kunitskaya
Featherweight Grant Dawson vs. Julian Erosa
Heavyweight Maurice Greene vs. Jeff Hughes
Bantamweight Louis Smolka vs. Matt Schnell
Welterweight Alex Morono vs. Zak Ottow
Lightweight Alex White vs. Dan Moret

The poll is now up for tonight's show, with the question asking:

I hate to say it but at some point it’s just all you remember about him. Take a hint for Christ sake.

* Ben Askren seems to have a marketing strategy of deliberately jerking Dana's tail. After his controversial victory over famed murder-puncher Robbie Lawler, he said in the post-fight interview "C'mon Dana, is that all you got?" Do you think this approach will be helpful or disadvantageous for him in the UFC?

yes it has been

the bad times are close to outnumbering the good times at this point. he hasnt been in it REALLY since the diaz loss. if you wanna be pickier you can say the edgar fights.

were going on 5+ years now.

As MMA fans, do you still have faith in Herb Dean being a competent ref?

I'm not just talking about the Askren stoppage. There are numerous instances of him screwing up in recent memory. Not taking a single point from McGregor after 5 grevious fouls, allowing Dollaway to get murdered in the cage, warning David Teymur for inactivity while he was outstriking his opponent, and many more examples. How in Gods name is this the Gold Standard of MMA? The guy's calls are so shifty you'd almost think he was corrupt.

Last edited:
Those who saw BJ Penn perform in his prime remember well how impressive he was and how he ran through a lot of top competition. His fall from the top has been absolutely horrific and he should have stayed retired long ago. His recent performances have to be very embarrassing for him, but Father Time is a cruel bastard with combat sport athletes. In tennis you get beat 6-0 and 6-0 and your face and brain are sill ok. Not so in combat sports. BJ needs to hang the gloves up for good...Prime BJ is still a legend in my book and I'm huge GSP fan.

Kumaru Usman definitely lived up to his name the Nigerian Nightmare against Tyron Woodley. With his mental strength, physical strength and cardio for days, are there any fighters you guys can picture beating him in the near future?

I don't see the match between Colby Covington and Kumaru Usman being competitive at all. Both have insane cardio and a gritty style but the speed and strength advantage Usman has over Colby should make for an easy first defense by the champ. How do you guys see that fight going?

Last edited:
Of course it has. How do you talk about GOATs and then reconcile the losses? You can’t. Every fighter almost not named GSP damaged his own legacy. Same with PED cheats.

Just the facts as I see them.

tenor.gif

Back