The Trenches, Episode 25 Poll: Has BJ Penn's legacy been tainted by 6 consecutive defeats?

Has B.J. Penn’s legacy been tainted by six consecutive defeats in the twilight of his career?

• Total voters
Nah.
It just shows he didnt know when to hang it up or that he is just struggling to move on to the next stage of life.

He is a true fighter though. Nothing can take away what he accomplished ealier in his career.

Only thing it will change is opinions of casuals who use fight finder and records as a barometer of how good someone is.

BJ started his career in the UFC and never got to rack up wins against shit competition to build his record up.

roflmfao at these delusional as fuck Penn fans voting No!

<Lmaoo>

All performances are contextual. What you do at one time should not be affected by a pooer performer several years later. It does not diminish how great you where at one time.

Steaming hot Yair Rodriguez.

Yeah it has. He knew he was done in that Diaz fight he should have stuck to his guns

NOTE
: We are implementing a new feature called LIVE THREADS. To enable them, click on your status bar (Your username on top of the screen) and go down to "Join User Groups". If you join in on the "Live Threads" usergroup, you will automatically be a part of this.

What it means is that you will not longer have to update the thread when viewing it, as new posts will be added automatically.

Sherdog Main Page writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos want to talk things over and answer your questions on a Live Video Chat series titled "The Trenches," airing Thursday at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT.

We also want your thoughts on a poll posted in this thread, with this week's poll question asking the following:

Has B.J. Penn’s legacy been tainted by six consecutive defeats in the twilight of his career?

Chime in on the conversation by voting in our poll or posting any fight questions you have.

Ant holds over 15 years of martial arts experience, training in multiple styles including Boxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Kung Fu and Krav Maga, and also coached amateur MMA fighters. A former Sherdog Radio Network personality and current contributor to Sherdog.com, this self-described "gym rat" seeks to impart his knowledge and discuss all things MMA with his fellow community members.

A journalist by trade, Jason has also co-hosted and produced multiple podcasts (including the "Fight Strength Podcast" with American Top Team trainer Phil Daru) over the years. He has contributed for several publications, and was a Senior Editor for MMASucka.com before landing at Sherdog. Along with his plethora of articles based on his exclusive interviews, Jason frequently covers live events for the site, chronicling the happenings with his growing photographic talents.

Select questions from this thread will be answered in the article, and additional questions from this thread may be used in an upcoming episode of live video chat series 'The Trenches,' hosted on the forum every Thursday. Below are links to previous episodes of that series as well as his previous 'Ask Ant' articles.

The Trenches Episodes:

Ask Ant Articles:

Thank you, and please be respectful. We appreciate it.

Blasphemy for even suggesting it. Ban.

Honestly though bro, as a near psychotic BJ Penn fan...it hasn't changed it for me, i look at those 6 loses when i choose to believe they exist and say: well two were to large prime WWs in Nick and Rory...another was to Frankie who is just an awful match up for BJ and the other 3 came so long after his prime.

The Yair fight in particular was such poor handling of this legends career, BJ has always been cursed with 'yes' men all around him and they should have not let him fight that guy or rematch Frankie quite frankly.

BJs entire career in a sense, even the decision to leave the UFC, all of it is a lesson in how to so fucking poorly mismanage a hall of fame career. So I can look at those loses and others like his time outside the UFC and justify them as BJ being BJ.

Last edited:
It's funny this question didn't even come from myself, or the guys. It came from a longtime main page staffer, someone who has forgotten more about the sport than I knew about it. That's what made it doubly intriguing to ask.

UFC 237 is a heartbreaker of a card.

Honestly though bro, as a near psychotic BJ Penn fan...it hasn't changed it for me, i look at those 6 loses when i choose to believe they exist and say: well two were to large prime WWs in Nick and Rory...another was to Frankie who is just an awful match up for BJ and the other 3 came so long after his prime.

The Yair fight in particular was such poor handling of this legends career, BJ has always been cursed with 'yes' men all around him and they should have not let him fight that guy or rematch Frankie quite frankly.

BJs entire career in a sense, even the decision to leave the UFC, all of it is a lesson in how to so fucking poorly mismanage a hall of fame career.

Get a grip, bud. lololol

Corey is on a 3 fight win-streak

LHV title picture:
--> Reyes and esp Walker need time
--> Jones wants 4 fights this year?
Pull up Yoel Romero like Santos + Smith + Anders now are doing
That would be legiiiiittttttt
Plus Romero is tied up til after Whittaker + everything else gets figured out

What can beat Jon Jones?

A clean sport.

And does Jason really think a kneeless Cain can beat JJ? That thing is paper-mache

Wonderboy vs Usman is really interesting. Since Usman is very aggressive but kind of rudimentary and that's exactly what Wonderboy's footwork is built to negate. Thompson's age is kind of an x-factor though

8 years of MMA training is basically your prime. It's not short at all.

No way bro, I'm too pumped for his fight against Guida.

Hes coming for that belt.

Can you imagine?

BJ, Rose, Little Nog, Anderson and Aldo all get KOed on that card?

This place will go into meltdown.

Guida gonna brutalize him. lol

Guida gonna brutalize him. lol
tenor.gif

Colby has no chance. Usman will hold that belt for a loooooong time

Honestly, Askren is a better chain-wrestler than Colby. Colby's advantages is his stand-up which will not be very relevant in a fight vs Usman. Askren is a bigger threat.

Woodley has trained himself into a corner. He stands against the cage and tries negating his opponent with takedowns/power-punches, it's his sole-strategy. If you do that, you'll eventually run into someone who can negate that one thing. Usman and Rory managed to do that, Usman with pressure and takedown-threats and Rory with jabs.

Back