The UFC is overhyping Burns to lowball the likes of Masvidal and other elite WWs

Has Burns done enough to deserve to a title shot?

• Total voters
It's no secret that the WW title picture has been taking time to move ahead, due to plenty of negotiations by the elites in the division. Usman VS Masvidal simply isn't being inked.

Colby has also made some noise about his pay. Nate Diaz has been holding out for big pay fights for a while now. If you consider Conor a WW fighter, then well- he's absolutely not fighting unless he's guaranteed 7 digits.

So, here enters a guy in Burns who seemingly doesn't care about the money, and only wants to get to the top of the mountain.

And that may be a good thing, but do you guys remember when you had to beat multiple top contenders to be a top contender?

Burns did great against Woodley - good, congratulations.

But this is the same Woodley who got utterly dominated by Usman. If Woodley fought closely with the champ, and Burns beat him... I understand the need for excitement.

I don't get why the UFC, especially DC, was trying to get fans excited over the thought of Burns fighting for the title. There are a lot more proven guys in the division at this point. The other commentators pointed it out too, but DC kept pushing Burns towards title talks. It seemed scripted.

Burns has 2 top10 wins... he just got KOd by Dan Hooker less than 2 years ago. This isn't some unstoppable force of nature. Let him gather up some more top 5 wins and then we can say for sure that Gilbert Burns deserves a title shot, right?

That's my opinion. The UFC was just pushing him to the top as negotiating leverage- to lowball the likes of Usman and Masvidal and all.

This is a known tactic used by the UFC. Remember when they sent Khabib a contract for a title shot just to leverage it against McGregor and Alvarez? Khabib's dad admitted that The Eagle got played by the UFC to reduce the price tag of those fighters.

Burns is serving that same purpose right now imo.

If Burns isn't elite for beating Woodley then Usman isn't either.

Burns just embarrassed the number 1 guy. Colby just lost to Usman, Edwards can't or won't fight right now. It's either Burns or Masvidal and it doesn't look like Jorge wants anything to do with Usman

Are you serious?

Masvidal smashed Till, who was coming off a title shot.

Masvidal smashed Askren, who was undefeated and just beat former champ Robbie Lawler

Masvidal smashed Nate, who just split fights with Conor McGregor and beat Pettis

I think people need to rematch that diaz fight because Not only did masvidal beat nate diaz but he made him like a tin can and a total bum and this is the same guy that beat conor and also went all the in second match just about losing. Masivdal destroyed him in the clinch, ground, striking, kicking and he was like a sniper with the punches and kicks.

Everyone was on the masvidal bandwagon last year but now because he hasnt fought in a while he has become a total bum and journeyman that will lose to everyone in the division and thats just how this forum goes.

Burns just embarrassed the number 1 guy. Colby just lost to Usman, Edwards can't or won't fight right now. It's either Burns or Masvidal and it doesn't look like Jorge wants anything to do with Usman

Dunno why this keeps getting repeated Masvidal said Usman hasn't agreed a price for the fight so wont sign and Usman says masvidal isnt signing for the fight so why would you believe Usman story as the truth??

Colby's best win is RDA, Edwards best win is RDA, Masvidal's best win is Darren (ranking wise) and Burns best win is the guy who beat Darren and is the former world champion. Burns is in my opinion the next guy to fight for the title. Another good thing with Burns is that he's a no-bullshit type of guy. He's not going to say no to the title shot, or start negotiating for months, but is instead ready to fight for the title in July.

If anybody is being “overhyped” it’s Masvidal. Yeah Mas has looked great, and I wouldn’t complain if he fought Usman next, but you also have to take his recent win streak with a grain of salt. Are any of his wins even active 170ers right now? No need to “hype up” Burns, he’s legit and he’s been putting in the groundwork he needs to. And if we’re going to discredit his win over Woodley, you have to remember that Usman won the title off of the same man like a year ago. And I’d argue Burns beat him in more impressive fashion. Ask Maia who he thinks is more proven, Burns or Jorge? He beat Maia more impressively than Colby and Usman as well. Edwards is deserving and good too, but let’s not act like boring decision wins over Gunnar Nelson and RDA is anything to drop your panties over. I think the results of your poll speak for itself.

Last edited:
If anybody is being “overhyped” it’s Masvidal. Yeah Mas has looked great, and I wouldn’t complain if he fought Usman next, but you also have to take his recent win streak with a grain of salt. Are any of his wins even active 170ers right now? No need to “hype up” Burns, he’s legit and he’s been putting in the groundwork he needs to. And if we’re going to discredit his win over Woodley, you have to remember that Usman won the title off of the same man like a year ago. And I’d argue Burns beat him in more impressive fashion. Ask Maia who he thinks is more proven, Burns or Jorge? He beat Maia more impressively than Colby and Usman as well. Edwards is deserving and good too, but let’s not act like boring decision wins over Gunnar Nelson and RDA is anything to drop your panties over. I think the results of your poll speak for itself.

True. While I still think Burns needs 1 more solid Top 5 win before challenging for the title, we can't disregard the result of the poll. It's pretty 1-sided

Burns is a bad matchup for Maz

Are you serious?

Masvidal smashed Till, who was coming off a title shot.

Masvidal smashed Askren, who was undefeated and just beat former champ Robbie Lawler

Masvidal smashed Nate, who just split fights with Conor McGregor and beat Pettis

Maia has more ranked wins at WW than those three guys combined and a win over Masvidal himself. Burns finished Maia, and that's burns second best win trumping Masvidal and masvidal's entire win streak.

Last edited:
It's no secret that the WW title picture has been taking time to move ahead, due to plenty of negotiations by the elites in the division. Usman VS Masvidal simply isn't being inked.

Colby has also made some noise about his pay. Nate Diaz has been holding out for big pay fights for a while now. If you consider Conor a WW fighter, then well- he's absolutely not fighting unless he's guaranteed 7 digits.

So, here enters a guy in Burns who seemingly doesn't care about the money, and only wants to get to the top of the mountain.

And that may be a good thing, but do you guys remember when you had to beat multiple top contenders to be a top contender?

Burns did great against Woodley - good, congratulations.

But this is the same Woodley who got utterly dominated by Usman. If Woodley fought closely with the champ, and Burns beat him... I understand the need for excitement.

I don't get why the UFC, especially DC, was trying to get fans excited over the thought of Burns fighting for the title. There are a lot more proven guys in the division at this point. The other commentators pointed it out too, but DC kept pushing Burns towards title talks. It seemed scripted.

Burns has 2 top10 wins... he just got KOd by Dan Hooker less than 2 years ago. This isn't some unstoppable force of nature. Let him gather up some more top 5 wins and then we can say for sure that Gilbert Burns deserves a title shot, right?

That's my opinion. The UFC was just pushing him to the top as negotiating leverage- to lowball the likes of Usman and Masvidal and all.

This is a known tactic used by the UFC. Remember when they sent Khabib a contract for a title shot just to leverage it against McGregor and Alvarez? Khabib's dad admitted that The Eagle got played by the UFC to reduce the price tag of those fighters.

Burns is serving that same purpose right now imo.

Are you a moron mate? He beat the number one contender and would beat the brakes off Masvidal and Diaz so sit the F down

True. While I still think Burns needs 1 more solid Top 5 win before challenging for the title, we can't disregard the result of the poll. It's pretty 1-sided
In all reality, he’s probably going to have to take another fight anyways, wether he’s deserving or not. We’ll see though.

2 arguably 3 , glad we cleared that up call me sir next time

Which brings me to my next point:

TalkativeGratefulBaiji-max-1mb.gif

Street Jesus should fight Leon, you know you want to see it.
Woodley should fight Colby since he dodged him for years...
and that leaves us with Burns vs Usman. I’m down, book it !

Back