The Weight Cutting Thread

Envy

Silver Belt
Reaction score
After answering numerous threads on quick weight cutting, I've decided to create an uber-thread combining all of our collective knowledge on cutting for competition. Without further ado...

Step 1 Follow Berardi's 7 habits! Especially in season. They are as follows:

Habit 1: Eat every 2-3 hours.

Habit 2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 4: Eat veggies/fruits with any meal. Eat "other carbs" only after exercise.

Habit 5: Eat healthy fats daily.

Habit 6: Don't drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.

Habit 7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.

Habit 8 is drink lots and lots of water. If you're already dehydrated, how are you going to cut any water weight? Sticking to the 7 habits all through the season(year round for fighters) will take care of 80% of most people's cutting problems.

Step 2
As competition nears, caloric restriction is necessary. A calorie IS NOT a calorie, but you can't stuff yourself with 4000 calories and expect to drop 20 pounds in a month. Calorie amounts do vary for different people, so find what works for you. You should be dropping roughly 2 pounds per week in fat if you're dieting properly. Remember to keep hydrated, and increase your water intake as you reduce calories, both to combat hunger and to keep healthy. You should of course be doing cardio to speed your weight loss. Remember to take your multivitamin and fish oil.

Step 3
The week before a competition (two if you have a lot of weight to lose) is the time drop the carbs, which will speed up fat loss and give you a nice drop in water weight as well. This is not Atkins, so don't try gobbling bacon, sausage, cream, etc. Your caloric intake should consist of vegetables, lean proteins, and some healthy fats such as fish/flax oil. Increase water intake further, try to get above two gallons a day. Add extra cardio. Long distance cardio on an elliptical or bike is a good choice as it is good on the knees.

Step 4
3 days out from the competition, switch to distilled water and drink only as much as you you're thirsty for, some where just south of one gallon. Further reduce your food intake by cutting down to 3, possibly 4 meals a day of fibrous veggies and extra lean protein such as egg whites, chicken, and fish. Now is the time to add a fiber supplement such as benefiber, (a natural laxative) and dandelion root (a gentle diuretic). Keep up with the fish oil and a multi, as it will be needed. Continue with cardio.

Step 5
The day of the weigh in. Drink very little water, only as much as you absolutely need Depending on whether you are within 3 pounds of your target weight, either keep your food the same, or further reduce caloric intake by lowering your protein. Eat only 2-3 meals this day, mostly veggies, a hard boiled egg or two, and a little chicken, and take your vitamins. Eat your last meal and drink your last water at least 12 hours before the weigh-ins. You should be within 2 pounds of your target weight at this time. If you are not, this is the time to sweat it out. Cut arm holes in a trash bag, put on some sweats and do low intensity cardio like riding an exercise bike. The sauna is another option if one is available.

*CAUTION- if have to sweat excess water out, you've fucked up somewhere along the way. This is okay once, maybe twice, because cutting weight is a learning experience and rarely exact, but making a habit of sweating water weight the night before a competition is unacceptable. The drastic dehydration measures taken by many not only lead to health issues and possibly death, they kill the very performance you're looking to achieve. Not to mention it can really mess up your metabolism and leave you a fat bastard like so many wrestling coaches. So don't do it. Follow the above steps and there will be no need for severe dehydration.

Step 6
After the weigh-ins. Sip a recovery drink such as Accelerade, Pedialyte, Surge, etc. immediately afterwards. If you're not competing for a while, have a well balanced meal of protein, fruit, complex carbs, and some healthy fats. Don't eat too much, because you can get gassy. Eat normal, non aggravating foods and lots of slow release carbs; eat foods like apples, bread, nuts and turkey. Now is not the time for Mom's chili or leftover spaghetti. Eat small healthy meals, every 2 hours until competition, and drink plenty of fluids. Sports dinks are a good product for rehydrating at this time, so drink up!

Step 7
DON'T BINGE! You've made your weight, now stay within ten pounds of it throughout the rest of the season, 15-20 if you're a fighter. Follow the 7 habits, lose fat the right way and you should slide easily into your weight class in the future. Remember, fat loss =good. Water loss+starving yourself=bad.

Feel free to add to this as you see fit.

I like most of it, better attribute those habits to Berardi or Clint07's gonna come in here and punch you in the face.

Is 2lbs of fat weight loss per weak reasonable if you're trying to maintain your muscle mass?

Other than that, much appreciated.

It depends on the amount of fat mass you actually have. Obviously 2 pounds a week is too much for 140 lber with 10% bodyfat, but 2 pounds wouldl be a walk to 275 lber with 25% bodyfat.

Perhaps 1-3 pounds would be better, but I don't smaller guys shooting the moon when they should be happy with the low end of that suggestion.

XTrainer said:
I like most of it, better attribute those habits to Berardi or Clint07's gonna come in here and punch you in the face.
LOL

Thanks for the Thread Envy. i have no reason cut weight anytime soon but if I do, I'll have to look this back up.

Thanks Envy, but where the hell were you 10 years ago when I was wearing 10 coats and getting 2nd degree burns from laying next to the floor heater on a school bus on the way to a meet?

Seriously, where the hell were ya?

bacon said:
Thanks Envy, but where the hell were you 10 years ago when I was wearing 10 coats and getting 2nd degree burns from laying next to the floor heater on a school bus on the way to a meet?

outside pointing and laughing?

Thank you.

I love uber-threads.

bacon said:

God i miss wrestling

bacon said:

Sitting in the lunchroom preparing a kale, spinach, and romaine chicken salad with a raspberry vinegarette dressing, slivered almonds, and dried cranberries, with a side of sweet potato mash spritzed with lime juice, while every single person slugging their cup of nacho cheese and pizza sticks stopped by long enough to say, "What the fuck are you eating?" "Why would you eat that wierd shit?" etc.

It's okay though, because I could always laugh at the guy* scraping frost off the bus windows on the way to the meet.

*Yeah, that was me.

Nice thread Envy, i've got no need to cut any weigth at the moment, but if i do i'll know where to go, and also send everyone in D&S and the conditioning forum to.

*places hand up*

votes this should be added to FAQ

Have you checked out berardi's book on grappling nutrition? He as a slightly different approach to cutting water weight before cometition. You modify your water intake depending on the amount of time between weigh-ins and competition in a way that is supposed to allow you to drop as much as 10 - 15 lbs. I've been following it all week preparing for a competition on Sunday.

The jist of it is (only use this approach with at least 24hrs between weigh-ins and 1st match):
Obviously, being a berardi fan I'm always following the 7 rules. 5 days out from weigh-ins I started drinking over 2 gallons of water a day, as well as added salt to everything I ate. On day 4 I dropped to 1 gallon and cut the extra salt. Today, the last day before competition I've dropped all fluids and am avoiding all foods I know to be high in sodium. So far I've lost 5 lbs, and most of it was in the last 24hrs that I cut my water intake in half. If that progress continues in the next 24hrs I should make weight no problem. I'll let you know if I make weight.

There are more details, but you should buy his book like I did if you want the complete guide. There is also a separate guide for losing weight for a competition in which has weigh-ins on the same day of the match (which is basically intended to cause less of a loss of weight).

Madmick said:
Thank you.

I love uber-threads.

Same here. I also love uber stickies. Why doesn't someone make an uber thread of all the good uber threads on this site, and then we only have to convince KK to add one new link to the FAQs. It's the perfect plan.

Thanks

Last comp I entered, I cut around 15lbs in 3 days using starvation theory (my scale at home was off go figure). I pretty much had to crawl on to the mat and then get dragged off after getting my ass beat. Miserable the whole time. Same day weigh ins too. Worse thing was, I cut into the lowest weight div which meant I was also first on to the mat.

Foppa21 said:
Thanks

Last comp I entered, I cut around 15lbs in 3 days using starvation theory (my scale at home was off go figure). I pretty much had to crawl on to the mat and then get dragged off after getting my ass beat. Miserable the whole time. Same day weigh ins too. Worse thing was, I cut into the lowest weight div which meant I was also first on to the mat.
Little guys have to be especially careful, as the big weight jumps are rough on small frames. My high school wrestling coach was around 350-380, because he was so pressured in high school and college to wrestle at the absolute lowest weight class. Three years back, he lost most of his toes to diabetes.

Remember that next time you're thinking of starving yourself.

greedysob said:
... I'll let you know if I make weight.
Well, I made weight. I only lost about 9 and half of the 12 lbs I needed to lose using the method, so I still had to swet a few pounds out, but I made weight none the less.

just a question, i know carbs hold water and therefore make you heavier before weight. but how can you perform at your best when you need the carb supply before comp for energy?

That's the whole point of debate. It depends on many factors, but you won't get a straight-up 100% answer on that one.

bacon said:

Chewing gum and spitting in cups while wearing a garbage bag in a sauna. God, I had no idea how to properly cut weight in those days.

I miss wrestling too.

Wild Dan Hibiki said:
just a question, i know carbs hold water and therefore make you heavier before weight. but how can you perform at your best when you need the carb supply before comp for energy?
Depending on how soon the comp is after the weigh -ins, you should be able to carb load, hence immediately sipping a recovery drink such as surge, pedialyte, gatorade, etc. and also eating a small meal with both fruit and complex carbs.

However if it comes down to a choice between cutting carbs and water, carbs will always be first in my book.

Tony Manifold said:
Chewing gum and spitting in cups
I did this exactly once, reached up in the middle of the night, and knocked my spit cup onto my pillow.

Back