The Weight Cutting Thread

Ive got my second mma fight on july the 3rd and it's looking as if i am gonna need to cut some weight. Weighins are on the day of the fight, a few hours before so i don't want to do anything to drastic. I will probably be looking to cut between 6 and 4 lbs, can someone explain the best way for me to cut this weight without losing too much energy.

I am about 81Kg the now and the fight is at 77Kg, i got injured and had to have surgery when traning for my last fight and i was 79Kg 4 weeks untill the fight so i was going to make weight easy but this time i put on a load of weight and it's taking longer than i expected to shift it so i am gonna need to cut some to make weight.

What is the best way, cut my water and food intake and take a natural laxitive a day or 2 before the fight? also where is the best place to buy distilled water in the uk, it's something ive never looked for.

Thanks for any answers!

Ive got my second mma fight on july the 3rd and it's looking as if i am gonna need to cut some weight. Weighins are on the day of the fight, a few hours before so i don't want to do anything to drastic. I will probably be looking to cut between 6 and 4 lbs, can someone explain the best way for me to cut this weight without losing too much energy.

I am about 81Kg the now and the fight is at 77Kg, i got injured and had to have surgery when traning for my last fight and i was 79Kg 4 weeks untill the fight so i was going to make weight easy but this time i put on a load of weight and it's taking longer than i expected to shift it so i am gonna need to cut some to make weight.

What is the best way, cut my water and food intake and take a natural laxitive a day or 2 before the fight? also where is the best place to buy distilled water in the uk, it's something ive never looked for.

Thanks for any answers!

the first post might have some answers.And someone posted this up earlier in the thread regards distilled water:
Purchase Distilled Water | The Distilled Water Co | The Distilled Water Company

Hi everyone, Im 85 kg(not at a low BF%), I need to fight at 75kg on April 30th, is it possible for me to make weight? Thanx

I am mainly posting here as a marker for later use, but I just want to throw it out there.

Wheatgerm.

I mix about a tablespoon in my homemade museli everyday and I would advise it over a laxative or something, maybe not as strong but if you got a week or two before your weigh in it should help out and is actually good for you.

But you might want to check your supply of toilet freshner too....it is higly effective. plus 24% protein.

contains

* B vitamins such as folate, niacin, thiamin, and vitamin B6
* Calcium
* Complex carbs
* Fiber
* Iron
* Magnesium
* Manganese
* Omega-3 fatty acids
* Phosphorous
* Potassium
* Protein
* Selenium
* Vitamin E
* Zinc

Read more at Suite101: Nutritional Benefits of Wheat Germ: Food Supplement High in Vitamins, Minerals and Healthy Fats | Suite101.com

Nutritional Benefits of Wheat Germ: Food Supplement High in Vitamins, Minerals and Healthy Fats | Suite101.com

I came across this thread while browsing and noticed that some of the stuff mentioned in the original post is not supported by the science and based on outdated ideas about diet and fitness.

For example, it was suggested to eat ever 3 hours. We now know that feeding frequency has zero to do with bodyweight regulation. This also is relevant to the idea that "a calorie is not a calorie", which is false. Caloric balance determines weight and what you eat has zero to do with fat loss. A deficit causes fat loss, not a special eating pattern or type of food.

While the type of food you eat will effect performance, that is a separate issue.

Randomly reducing meals (without knowing how much you are consuming) is like doing target practice with a blindfold on. If you track your calories, you won't have a problem as you can determine how many you need and how many to cut. If you are just eating, you have no idea what your total is amd will have to resort to lame tactics like water cutting.

To say a calorie is not a calorie leads people to adopt cult beliefs systems like the low carb brigade, Gary Taubes and his ilk, To say a cal is not a cal is simply false and akin to saying a pound is not a pound. A calorie is a measure of energy, like a watt or a volt or an amp. We aren't talking about the nutritional content of said calorie (obviously), but its energy content. This is why it maks no difference what you eat when fat loss is your only goal.

Any advice for someone cutting with a same day weigh in?

Yes, don't get fat and get within a few pounds of your weigh in weight legitimately and stay there year round. If you have to cut huge amounts of weight it means you are getting way too fat or fighting in the wrong weight class.

To say a calorie is not a calorie leads people to adopt cult beliefs systems like the low carb brigade, Gary Taubes and his ilk, To say a cal is not a cal is simply false and akin to saying a pound is not a pound. A calorie is a measure of energy, like a watt or a volt or an amp. We aren't talking about the nutritional content of said calorie (obviously), but its energy content. This is why it maks no difference what you eat when fat loss is your only goal.

While it is ultimately true that surplus/deficit of calories will determine fat loss, I am pretty lenient on this one, because the message really amounts to "each chicken and broccoli, not twinkies," which is something I think we can all agree with.

Second, while in terms of energy expenditure, a calorie is a calorie, there is one overlooked factor: the "thermic effect of feeding." That is, there is a certain amount of energy required to digest different nutrients, thus changing the actual net value of a calorie from a given source. To my knowledge, this cost is something like:

protein: 20-30%
carb: 5-10%
fat: ~3%

So, if we ate 1000 calories worth of protein, you would net about 700-800 calories, carbs would be 900-950, and fat would net about 970. This is really a bit of a non-issue, as I find that the best format when cutting is to simply find a point where you're eating as few calories as possible while still feeling strong and energetic, rather than saying "I'm going to eat exactly ____ calories every day." Like most things, I think the plan needs to be tailored to an individual. It's not something you should plug into a height/weight/age chart and spit out a number.

the "thermic effect of feeding." That is, there is a certain amount of energy required to digest different nutrients, thus changing the actual net value of a calorie from a given source. To my knowledge, this cost is something like:

protein: 20-30%
carb: 5-10%
fat: ~3%

So, if we ate 1000 calories worth of protein, you would net about 700-800 calories, carbs would be 900-950, and fat would net about 970. This is really a bit of a non-issue, as I find that the best format when cutting is to simply find a point where you're eating as few calories as possible while still feeling strong and energetic, rather than saying "I'm going to eat exactly ____ calories every day." Like most things, I think the plan needs to be tailored to an individual. It's not something you should plug into a height/weight/age chart and spit out a number.

Where did you come up with those numbers? They are off by about a factor of 10. People like Eades have tried to push this metabolic advantage stuff and there simply isn't any support for it.

Where did you come up with those numbers? They are off by about a factor of 10. People like Eades have tried to push this metabolic advantage stuff and there simply isn't any support for it.

Well, if that's the case, I guess that makes me yet another victim of rampant misinformation. Those are the numbers that I constantly see quoted, but I've never seen actual scientific data demonstrating it.

I guess that takes me back to my point about how I don't really believe in precise calorie-counting.

So I gotta weigh 144.9 by this Friday, and I wake up and piss in the mornings to a weight of 149lbs 12% bf. The weigh in is the day before...

What is the severity of my situation? I could take a dump and throw on a sauna suit as I run on my parents treadmill (lol) the day of, would that be enough? I will be watching my diet and train during the week like normal, but is 5lbs a reasonable goal in terms of losing water weight? I know there are some former wrestlers laughing at me right now, but any thoughts on my situation would be highly appreciated. TIA

I just noticed this thread has had over 70k views. Nice post envy.

I have an MMA sparring exhibition in 1 month which I need to be 145 lbs for and weigh ins are same day. I am 155lbs now and just yesterday started eating mostly lean protein. I eat fruits after each workout which is the only carbs I have for the day and only ends up being about 50 or 60 grams. Still need to add more veggies into the diet but I am drinking about a gallon and a half of water a day. Can I plan to get to 145 in one month and feel strong for the competition?

man i did an easy ass cut oatmeal for breakfast 2 packets big salad for lunch with chicken and cheese and for dinner steamed veggies and rice with a half breast of chicken mixed in then the night before sit in a hot bathtub/ hot tub if available for like 30 min submerge anything possible and just relax get out towel off wait cause your gonna be sweaty as hell towel off again and weigh your self repeat last part if needed i lost like 5 more pounds doing the hot bath i over cut actually

Is there anything you can do if you really mess up while cutting?

I've cut to about 4lbs away from my target weight last night after training. I ate some chicken breast and veggies post workout but I had this incredible thirst and longing for something sweat. Next thing I know, I'm chugging a soda, stuffing pastry down my face and eating several bowls of frosted flakes with some fruits and milk. I don't know what the fuck was wrong with me. I just went crazy at the sight of food.

I got a bit sick from the sudden intake of shit food and had diarrhea. That made me lose some weigh but I still gained about 6lbs from just last night. Now I'm like 10lbs away from my target weight and the weigh in is 9 days away. I'm seriously kicking myself here and questioning my sanity and discipline last night. My trainer is going to flip if he sees my weight.

Is there anything short-term and drastic I can do? Should do? The only thing I can think of is doing more cardio, taking laxatives or throwing up.

Back