The Weight Cutting Thread

Is there anything you can do if you really mess up while cutting?

I've cut to about 4lbs away from my target weight last night after training. I ate some chicken breast and veggies post workout but I had this incredible thirst and longing for something sweat. Next thing I know, I'm chugging a soda, stuffing pastry down my face and eating several bowls of frosted flakes with some fruits and milk. I don't know what the fuck was wrong with me. I just went crazy at the sight of food.

I got a bit sick from the sudden intake of shit food and had diarrhea. That made me lose some weigh but I still gained about 6lbs from just last night. Now I'm like 10lbs away from my target weight and the weigh in is 9 days away. I'm seriously kicking myself here and questioning my sanity and discipline last night. My trainer is going to flip if he sees my weight.

Is there anything short-term and drastic I can do? Should do? The only thing I can think of is doing more cardio, taking laxatives or throwing up.

Legit starve yourself pretty much and hit the sauna. Those are probably two of your best options. Sweat out as much water weight as you can and eat as little as possible and just drink water.

Legit starve yourself pretty much and hit the sauna. Those are probably two of your best options. Sweat out as much water weight as you can and eat as little as possible and just drink water.

I think that's what I'm going to do. I did the math, and assuming I lose as much weight as I usually do, I can be back to where I was in a couple days by training the same and not eating anything and drinking as little water as possible.

That's a plan right? Get down to closer to my target weight by starving myself and then eat/drink again if I'm close enough. Jesus christ, I hate myself right now.

I want to know how healthy is Elk meat? I bought a steak which did not have any fat, its 110 calories and has 27grams of protein. I've never purchased elk meat. I want to know if it's recommended.

Awesome and much useful thread that will surely help out in weight cutting.

the original post needs a great deal of refinement. there are better and easier ways to cut weight.

Last edited:
Hi guys, haven't got much to cut. but just wanted to ask , do you guys prefer to hit the sauna and cut the night before your fight or is better on the morning of your fight?

Thanks

After answering numerous threads on quick weight cutting, I've decided to create an uber-thread combining all of our collective knowledge on cutting for competition. Without further ado...

Step 1 Follow Berardi's 7 habits! Especially in season. They are as follows:

Habit 1: Eat every 2-3 hours.

Habit 2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 4: Eat veggies/fruits with any meal. Eat "other carbs" only after exercise.

Habit 5: Eat healthy fats daily.

Habit 6: Don't drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.

Habit 7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.

Habit 8 is drink lots and lots of water. If you're already dehydrated, how are you going to cut any water weight? Sticking to the 7 habits all through the season(year round for fighters) will take care of 80% of most people's cutting problems.

Step 2
As competition nears, caloric restriction is necessary. A calorie IS NOT a calorie, but you can't stuff yourself with 4000 calories and expect to drop 20 pounds in a month. Calorie amounts do vary for different people, so find what works for you. You should be dropping roughly 2 pounds per week in fat if you're dieting properly. Remember to keep hydrated, and increase your water intake as you reduce calories, both to combat hunger and to keep healthy. You should of course be doing cardio to speed your weight loss. Remember to take your multivitamin and fish oil.

Step 3
The week before a competition (two if you have a lot of weight to lose) is the time drop the carbs, which will speed up fat loss and give you a nice drop in water weight as well. This is not Atkins, so don't try gobbling bacon, sausage, cream, etc. Your caloric intake should consist of vegetables, lean proteins, and some healthy fats such as fish/flax oil. Increase water intake further, try to get above two gallons a day. Add extra cardio. Long distance cardio on an elliptical or bike is a good choice as it is good on the knees.

Step 4
3 days out from the competition, switch to distilled water and drink only as much as you you're thirsty for, some where just south of one gallon. Further reduce your food intake by cutting down to 3, possibly 4 meals a day of fibrous veggies and extra lean protein such as egg whites, chicken, and fish. Now is the time to add a fiber supplement such as benefiber, (a natural laxative) and dandelion root (a gentle diuretic). Keep up with the fish oil and a multi, as it will be needed. Continue with cardio.

Step 5
The day of the weigh in. Drink very little water, only as much as you absolutely need Depending on whether you are within 3 pounds of your target weight, either keep your food the same, or further reduce caloric intake by lowering your protein. Eat only 2-3 meals this day, mostly veggies, a hard boiled egg or two, and a little chicken, and take your vitamins. Eat your last meal and drink your last water at least 12 hours before the weigh-ins. You should be within 2 pounds of your target weight at this time. If you are not, this is the time to sweat it out. Cut arm holes in a trash bag, put on some sweats and do low intensity cardio like riding an exercise bike. The sauna is another option if one is available.

*CAUTION- if have to sweat excess water out, you've fucked up somewhere along the way. This is okay once, maybe twice, because cutting weight is a learning experience and rarely exact, but making a habit of sweating water weight the night before a competition is unacceptable. The drastic dehydration measures taken by many not only lead to health issues and possibly death, they kill the very performance you're looking to achieve. Not to mention it can really mess up your metabolism and leave you a fat bastard like so many wrestling coaches. So don't do it. Follow the above steps and there will be no need for severe dehydration.

Step 6
After the weigh-ins. Sip a recovery drink such as Accelerade, Pedialyte, Surge, etc. immediately afterwards. If you're not competing for a while, have a well balanced meal of protein, fruit, complex carbs, and some healthy fats. Don't eat too much, because you can get gassy. Eat normal, non aggravating foods and lots of slow release carbs; eat foods like apples, bread, nuts and turkey. Now is not the time for Mom's chili or leftover spaghetti. Eat small healthy meals, every 2 hours until competition, and drink plenty of fluids. Sports dinks are a good product for rehydrating at this time, so drink up!

Step 7
DON'T BINGE! You've made your weight, now stay within ten pounds of it throughout the rest of the season, 15-20 if you're a fighter. Follow the 7 habits, lose fat the right way and you should slide easily into your weight class in the future. Remember, fat loss =good. Water loss+starving yourself=bad.

Feel free to add to this as you see fit.

Info on weight cutting from a UK MMA amateur Champion:

Back