The Yama Tsuki/Mountain Punch

I'm pretty sure Muay Boran has a double punch, but its like a double uppercut hehe. doesnt look effective at all but ive personally never tried it

Yeah, it seems a bit tricky to land with boxing type gloves.

So overall, what I'm getting from everyone here is that the act of double fist punching is as stupid as it sounds and that the bunkai for the Yama Tsuki is actually quite useful.

As for the muay boran double uppercut, are you referring to this?

histoire2.jpg

First thread on Sherdog, figured I might as well make it on a technique that I use as part of my handle.

Said technique below:

yama-zuki.jpg

So what are your opinions on this technique? Is this another case of Mcdojo folly? Or is there merit in striking with both hands in different places? As far as I can tell, both punches won't land very hard and since you commit both hands, you can't follow up with anything afterwards.

That all being said, it can look pretty dope...

tumblr_mdchyfiAbG1qfrkf9o1_500.gif

And here you go

i have never seen this done outside of already mention augustus and pacman, also its apparently a krav maga technique as well, and some photos already posted of blocking and punching at the same time, which i think could work against a untrained person possibly. Can you end up in a similar position during a fight, yes. as others have mentioned grabbing and punching, or grabbing and head butting, but as far as double punching at the same time, you might as well hit him with a hadouken.

while i've done this technique in a kata, i never heard a specific name for it until watching kenichi when they showed it as a double high low punch.

as for double fist punches not being able to generate power, there is a double punch in go ju ryu that is a reverse punch and an uppercut at the same time done from zenkustu dachi (i believe some call it a forward stance in english.)

using the theory that stances in kata are intended as snap shots to get people to learn the feel of them so they can be used as needed in a fight, you'd basically lunge forward throwing a reverse punch and a jab. though i suspect there was another application initially intended
it can be found at the end of many, of the early go ju kata, and in the middle of one or two of them.

as for the yama tsuki found in go ju ryu i believe it more likely to be intended as a throw.

chinzo machida appears to do a yama tsuki or something similar a few times in this fight.

i wouldn't say the physical effect was particularly effective, but it seemed to fluster/confuse/overwhelm his opponent when he did it.

chinzo machida appears to do a yama tsuki or something similar a few times in this fight.

i wouldn't say the physical effect was particularly effective, but it seemed to fluster/confuse/overwhelm his opponent when he did it.

This is the guy who left the Octagon on a stretcher. Missing from the Gracie demos.<{1-13}>

So overall, what I'm getting from everyone here is that the act of double fist punching is as stupid as it sounds and that the bunkai for the Yama Tsuki is actually quite useful.

As for the muay boran double uppercut, are you referring to this?

histoire2.jpg
Pretty much - double punching that way isn't effective. Every effective application I've ever seen is based on the one hand deflects while the other hand strikes. Or that the 2 hand extension is the set up for the takedown in the next movement. The takedown I learned is that the high hand is used to control the head of the opponent (so it's like you reach past his face to grab the back of his head with your hand and your forearm exerts the pressure against the side of his face) as you turn into the takedown. Very similar to the video that @LEGS MAHONEY shared)- all based on the idea that where the head goes, the body will follow. I've never been taught a "double punch".

That sort of head control is easy to set up off a blocked elbow as well. Throw the elbow, they get an arm up to block it, simply open the arm up and reach past the defense to grab the head and pull it down, hopefully get a knee in before they recover. Even if you don't, they get worried about blocking the elbow.

EDIT: Should add that you're coming cross body. So, your right arm is reaching across their body to their right side, not their left side.

For the love of god someone please make a video of themselves doing a double jumping uppercut

Doesn't seem very practical. You're better off continuing to drill and refine more effective techniques. More isn't always good.

Back