News Thiago Santos explains move to PFL,$1 million prize is ‘more than I made all these years in the UFC'

Same as OneFC. What the fuck is going on with these companies that seemingly NOBODY watches handing out bags full of cash all day?

And, to further beat a well-dead horse, just even more indication of how woefully greedy the UFC is.

You've got a relatively-recent title challenger who chooses to leave the by-far largest MMA organization in the world to go to a clear second-fiddle organization because the pay is much, much better. PFL must be spending like 80 percent of its income on the figthers, while the UFC spends 10 percent of the vastly greater amount of money they pull in on the fighters who actually produce that income.

PFL easily spends over 100% of revenue on fighters. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 200% of revenue.

I totally agree. It's just that his statement was that he'd not a made a million throughout his career there was wide of the mark
What makes you think that? Only he knows his earnings

What makes you think that? Only he knows his earnings

Maths.

7x50k is 350. 650 over the course of 24 fights? I'm guessing ... If I'm wrong.. I'll stand corrected. But he's main carded a lot of times. Headlined several cards. I'd be HUGELY surprised if he hadn't made more. 650 by 24 is 27k per fight average. I might be wrong ... I only said I'd be surprised.

Yes, it is known. Quite an amount in the whole.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2022/10...ion-in-losses-2021-383-million-total-mma-news

There are other sources. Of course ONE dispute this.... but they all have the same figure

Thanks, fellas. Damn... How in the hell..? Who is bankrolling this? what are the chances that things will turn around? On the one hand, the early Zuffa era UFC was like this, hemorraghing money and gradually turned things around.

But that was a case of an organization with shady vegas lobby connections in an MMA vacuum. For ONE to succeed, it needs to infiltrate a market already dominated by those same shady Vegas characters who now have way more money and influence. I don't see how it's gonna happen, but then that's probably one of the reasons I'm not a millionaire investor.

Maths.

7x50k is 350. 650 over the course of 24 fights? I'm guessing ... If I'm wrong.. I'll stand corrected. But he's main carded a lot of times. Headlined several cards. I'd be HUGELY surprised if he hadn't made more. 650 by 24 is 27k per fight average. I might be wrong ... I only said I'd be surprised.
I see where you are coming from. I guess we"ll never know the exact number but at least he is getting a better contract now

Thanks, fellas. Damn... How in the hell..? Who is bankrolling this? what are the chances that things will turn around? On the one hand, the early Zuffa era UFC was like this, hemorraghing money and gradually turned things around.

But that was a case of an organization with shady vegas lobby connections in an MMA vacuum. For ONE to succeed, it needs to infiltrate a market already dominated by those same shady Vegas characters who now have way more money and influence. I don't see how it's gonna happen, but then that's probably one of the reasons I'm not a millionaire investor.

ONE's main problem seems to be that it's big in markets that there doesn't seem to be much money in, unless they can get China to give a fuck.

The Amazon deal and moving event times to suit US audiences tells me they think they need to get the US market though, problem is with UFC 45 weekends a year and then Bellator and PFL it's pretty saturated already.

They do have the kickboxing as a difference but I don't think there's much evidence that enough people in the US give a shit about kickboxing to make it financially viable.

ONE's main problem seems to be that it's big in markets that there doesn't seem to be much money in, unless they can get China to give a fuck.

The Amazon deal and moving event times to suit US audiences tells me they think they need to get the US market though, problem is with UFC 45 weekends a year and then Bellator and PFL it's pretty saturated already.

They do have the kickboxing as a difference but I don't think there's much evidence that enough people in the US give a shit about kickboxing to make it financially viable.

I suppose that holds promise, the kickboxing/MT angle. I really enjoy the ONE format with multiple different martial arts in one event - its also a way to increase the number of important-seeming title fights and to generate the potential for in-house crossover fights (MT champion VS. KB champion - MMA champion vs MT champion in MMA and then later in MT.)

Also, one of the old saws relating to the American MMA viewership is that they have minimal interest in grappling and just wwanna see fighters stand and bang. To that end, it's strange that MT/KB aren't more popular in the US, where MMA is despite the impression many MMA fans are dissatisfied with grappling. Maybe ONE can thread that needle, use the established fanbase of MMA to trojan horse MT/KB viewship to the North American audience?

I suppose that holds promise, the kickboxing/MT angle. I really enjoy the ONE format with multiple different martial arts in one event - its also a way to increase the number of important-seeming title fights and to generate the potential for in-house crossover fights (MT champion VS. KB champion - MMA champion vs MT champion in MMA and then later in MT.)

Also, one of the old saws relating to the American MMA viewership is that they have minimal interest in grappling and just wwanna see fighters stand and bang. To that end, it's strange that MT/KB aren't more popular in the US, where MMA is despite the impression many MMA fans are dissatisfied with grappling. Maybe ONE can thread that needle, use the established fanbase of MMA to trojan horse MT/KB viewship to the North American audience?

It might work. But as a dedicated MMA fan who just fast forwards through all the MT/KB stuff on their cards it doesn't work on me lol.

Man used to love watching this dude fight, he was like a tekken character, and then his knees got smited during the Jones fight and hes never been the same.
Hope he wins

I see where you are coming from. I guess we"ll never know the exact number but at least he is getting a better contract now

Definitely better than the UFC would give him. I mean, like I said, he fucking shot both his knees in that fight early on and carried on almost guaranteeing permanent damage. He wasn't the same after. In the UFC he'd be getting a weak contract now. Likely strong armed in to fights that get him nowhere.

So yeah. All round for him it's a good move

It might work. But as a dedicated MMA fan who just fast forwards through all the MT/KB stuff on their cards it doesn't work on me lol.

Can I ask why? The Muay Thai fights are almost always finishes and Rodtangs most "boring" fight is way more exciting than Adesanyas best fight. Even if they go to a decision they are only 3min rounds. I usually find myself enjoying the KB/MT more than the MMA on One in recent times.

I think where their main problem lies is the structure of Asian network television. When I lived there, the UFC was on live for free. I'm guessing across the continent that would likely be the case. The revenue from these deals is low. Plus, in countries like Thailand, Indonesia and The Philippines, ticket prices are relatively cheap. I had a beer with Melvin Manhoef and Aoki on a VIP ticket in Singapore that cost about $500. Front row with earpieces on with commentary in various languages. Don't think there were better tickets available. That sort of shit don't come cheap. And was before they had some of the bigger names they have now

Can I ask why? The Muay Thai fights are almost always finishes and Rodtangs most "boring" fight is way more exciting than Adesanyas best fight. Even if they go to a decision they are only 3min rounds. I usually find myself enjoying the KB/MT more than the MMA on One in recent times.

I'm genuinely not sure. I've tried loads of times, I just don't like it.

I think where their main problem lies is the structure of Asian network television. When I lived there, the UFC was on live for free. I'm guessing across the continent that would likely be the case. The revenue from these deals is low. Plus, in countries like Thailand, Indonesia and The Philippines, ticket prices are relatively cheap. I had a beer with Melvin Manhoef and Aoki on a VIP ticket in Singapore that cost about $500. Front row with earpieces on with commentary in various languages. Don't think there were better tickets available. That sort of shit don't come cheap. And was before they had some of the bigger names they have now

Sick, dude. I'd love to have done that.

I don't think his body will hold up for an entire season. I don't think he wins the tournament either. But LHW isn't the strongest division.

Back