Social Things you purposely pronounce “wrong”

Instead of filet mignon I say Phillip Mig-Non

Not worcestershire sauce, but rather wish you were here sauce, or in a southern accent you say “what’s this here sauce!”

Sometimes in memory of my dear grandmother I call batteries, batries. She had a New Orleans/Metairie accent. She also referred to sinks as zinks.

I've been told i mispronounce nigiri and Lafayette.

There are certain words I don’t do the “correct” pronunciation for. Like I know how it’s supposed to be pronounced but it sounds weird.

Like Porsche is supposed to be pronounced Porsche-ah.
And Hawaii is supposed to sound like Ha-vai-ee. But really only super native Hawaiian people say it that way.
And açaí is supposed to be A-sai-ee.

Any other words you can think of?
I pronounce "patriarchy" as pat-tree-arkee not pay-tree-arkee.

Not sure if these are wrong per se, but as New Englanders we pronounce certain words differently than most Americans. We say "frap" not "frap-pay" for frappe. We say aunt like flaunt not ant. Tara is pronounced tar-a not tear-a. We pronounce Peabody as pea-ba-dee not pea-body. Our pronunciations are often more similar to British people than other Americans.

Alot of Americans in this thread refusing to confess their mistreatment of the Aluminium.

Hilarious individual that I am, I enjoy tinkering with the stressing of syllables e.g. ar-MAG-edd-on

Alot of Americans in this thread refusing to confess their mistreatment of the Aluminium.

In fairness to us, we spell it how we say it: aluminum. So at least that's not incongruous. Just put it in the big bucket of Yanks Decided Arbitrarily To Do It Differently™.

Pecan.

Down here it's "pee-can" not "pecahn".

Yes, yes, I've heard the "Pee-can is what you do not what you eat" joke before.

<LikeReally5>

There are certain words I don’t do the “correct” pronunciation for. Like I know how it’s supposed to be pronounced but it sounds weird.

Like Porsche is supposed to be pronounced Porsche-ah.
And Hawaii is supposed to sound like Ha-vai-ee. But really only super native Hawaiian people say it that way.
And açaí is supposed to be A-sai-ee.

Any other words you can think of?
How do you pronounce acai if not the proper way?

I intentionally mispronounce a lot of French expressions like raison d’être. I pronounce it “raisin det-truh” and it really irritates people that are fluent in French.

Houston in New York is "house-ton", not "Hughs-ton".

Fucking yanks!

I intentionally mispronounce a lot of French expressions like raison d’être. I pronounce it “raisin det-truh” and it really irritates people that are fluent in French.

Plus it's a good reference to "Raising Arizona."

I also mispronounce chipotle, but as "chi-poe-tull." "Gym" I often mispronounce ala Homer Simpson as "guym." My wife gets irritated when I use "et" as the past tense of eat. It took me a while after moving back from North Carolina to stop pronouncing oil as "ohl." And I deliberately mispronounce Downton Abbey as "Downtown Abbey."

Back