Thinking about throwing a red dot on my CCW

RemyR

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Got a p365 I use a carry (when I’m not using my s&w bodyguard). Thinking about throwing a red dot on it.

Good idea or bad for a carry? In your experience does this add a lot more printing to the carry?

Also if yes on the red dot co-witness or no? 100% or 1/3?

muchas gracias in advance putas.

Yes, add one. Printing really isn't much more of an issue than normal.

Something to think about regarding co-witness

Got a p365 I use a carry (when I’m not using my s&w bodyguard). Thinking about throwing a red dot on it.

Good idea or bad for a carry? In your experience does this add a lot more printing to the carry?

Also if yes on the red dot co-witness or no? 100% or 1/3?

muchas gracias in advance putas.

I'd say yes but have you used red dots on pistols before? Some people struggle with it at first or don’t like them that much. I like them.

Cowitness is a preference thing.

Sage dynamics has great videos on dots. Watch some.

Last edited:
Never used a red dot in a pistol

Isn't the appeal of the P365 the ultra-compact size? Why bulk it up with a red dot?

Never used a red dot in a pistol
I recommend a lot of dry fire practice with an eye on presentation of the pistol and acquiring of the red dot. Build the muscle memory of getting to full presentation with proper grip at proper height so the red dot is pretty much right where you want it. Working on that myself.

Isn't the appeal of the P365 the ultra-compact size? Why bulk it up with a red dot?
If you're using a Sig Romeo Zero micro reflect sight it's not an issue. lol

*Edit* But yes, the more you add to your pistol the more it impacts potential printing whether it's a red dot, a light or both.

Last edited:
If you're using a Sig Romeo Zero micro reflect sight it's not an issue. lol

*Edit* But yes, the more you add to your pistol the more it impacts potential printing whether it's a red dot, a light or both.

Why add something that won't get used? In a self-defense situation he almost certainly won't be using sights at all. From all the real life situations on the Active Self-Protection Youtube channel, it's apparent that when under the stress of a two-way range people invariably point and shoot (while ducking, covering, etc.).

Why add something that won't get used? In a self-defense situation he almost certainly won't be using sights at all. From all the real life situations on the Active Self-Protection Youtube channel, it's apparent that when under the stress of a two-way range people invariably point and shoot (while ducking, covering, etc.).
Granted, in most confrontations you're likely to be at such close range that sights become an after thought. However, in the event you are 20+ feet away it might be good to have it. Of the two, between light and red dot the light is more preferable.

Granted, in most confrontations you're likely to be at such close range that sights become an after thought. However, in the event you are 20+ feet away it might be good to have it. Of the two, between light and red dot the light is more preferable.

I'm presuming the gun is for carry, not home defense. If for home defense then lights and sights make more sense.

I'm at work. What's the gist here?
Effective draw/fire from arms length or closer, continued fire/movement as one moves backward to open space up through full presentation.

I recommend a lot of dry fire practice with an eye on presentation of the pistol and acquiring of the red dot. Build the muscle memory of getting to full presentation with proper grip at proper height so the red dot is pretty much right where you want it. Working on that myself.
Exactly. I have several pistols with red dots....lots of dry firing. It takes a good amount of practice to become competent with a rds on a pistol.....but it's worth it.

thats my thought too. Realistically using a gun as a self defense carry I don’t see anyone shooting over say 25 feet or so. Anything more than that and well you start to wonder if it’s really “self defense”

I know some people are fond of red dots on carries and am curious as to their reasoning. For the longest time I’ve felt that night sights are the best thing for a carry but am open to the idea of a red dot.

Effective draw/fire from arms length or closer, continued fire/movement as one moves backward to open space up through full presentation.

Ok. Sounds like a situation where a red dot is of little to no value.

thats my thought too. Realistically I using a gun as a self defense carry I don’t see anyone shooting over say 25 feet or so.

This channel is great for getting a good idea of how self-defense with a gun is likely to go down. Some of my takeaways after watching videos for years are these.
  • Situational awareness is key
  • Shit happens fast so have a round chambered
  • Gunfights are almost always within 10-15 feet (not counting police shootings)
  • There's lots of motion and hasty retreats
  • Sights are rarely used

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE_m2z1NrvF2ImeNWh84mw

yeah, that’s why I was asking about printing with it

I don't think it adds much significance to printing

8bcb8d014cb0988a6351228a28ede183.jpg

ESrg__ZWoAAUat9.jpg

optic-cut-aiwb.jpg

What brand is that top holster?

So with "irons" what I practice for fast defensive shooting from a draw at 3-10 yards is just trying to achieve quick sight alignment. Further out the more time I spend on that process. I'm looking a bit over and through my sights. They are not in focus but they are aligned. Now if someone is attacking and is within 1-3 yards you're not going to look for alignment, just completely point shoot until(if) you can further present to do so.

If you practice with dots you can pick them up extremely fast and it allows you to quickly and accurately look through your sight focusing on the target. It's quicker than just going for sight alignment imo. Now at what distance does that matter. Idk, depends on how accurate you need to be and how quickly you need to shoot. Imo it's easier to get quicker more accurate shots(1st and follow ups) with a dot.

As far as a pros cons list, dots are mostly pros imo. Also not having parallax is a big plus imo in a high stress situation. If you need to take a precise shot, longer shot on say an active shooter, charging wild animal, etc a dot has the advantage imo. Being able to focus on your target looking through the dot making precise shots, not worrying about alignment/parallax, tracking your sight/target through your shot, etc is all a W for dots.

Back