This is what happens when a small guy takes on a monster

Shaw's over 2m tall and around 400lb sorry i just don't see someone the size of Dustin beating the shit out of him. There are weight classes for a reason, yes skill can overcome it up to a point but when your talking about that much size and power difference no not imo anyhoo. As for the average Joe who's done a bit of training it's not a good idea to feck around with someone who if they get hold of you can easily overpower you.
Yes if we talk about someone who is too big to grab around and secure a bodylock and who has decent cardio/functional strength.
Shaw and Thor or Eddie Hall are freaks of nature and break those rules but I would love to see them roll out of a kneebar, with people this big you gotta attack the extremities.
A elite strongman who crosstrains might be able to break this rule a 200+lbs bodybuilder or someone without said cardio,functional strength and dexterity will struggle period.

Posted before.
At some point the size and strength gap overcomes any skill advantage.

It takes a lot of skill, and it helps when the guy with the size/strength advantage is treating the competition like a sparring match instead of a ferocious, no-holds-barred encounter. The recklessness & violence inherent to the latter also tips in favor to physical dominance (though above that to the more aggressive combatant).

Shaw's over 2m tall and around 400lb sorry i just don't see someone the size of Dustin beating the shit out of him. There are weight classes for a reason, yes skill can overcome it up to a point but when your talking about that much size and power difference no not imo anyhoo. As for the average Joe who's done a bit of training it's not a good idea to feck around with someone who if they get hold of you can easily overpower you.

Poirier is not just a professional fighter, he's among the elite of that club. Like Hatorade I'd put my retirement on Poirier in this scenario, and I'd give odds to boot. To anybody who's sparred with both gigantic beasts and pros before or witnessed pros spar gigantic beasts (or both, or been on either side of a pro/beast matchup), this topic becomes a nondebate. I wouldn't even be surprised if your run of the mill local pro had to tone it down for Mr. Shaw to get some work in.

The smartest man in the world won't beat a random club chess player if he never played chess before. That's just how it goes.

Though I completely understand somebody would be skeptical without seeing this kind of stuff first hand.

weight classes are to separate people of somewhat similar skill sets. when you start matching people with no skill against people with incredible skill, that starts to go out the window to some degree.

watch the first few UFC tournaments. A 175lb skinny guy in pajamas beat actual trained fighters that had massive size and strength advantages. I can Guarantee you that shaw would not have won any of the first few UFC tournaments with guys like Shamrock, Severn, and Kimo competing in them. Royce beat all those guys, and Dustin would smoke Royce even in just a straight grappling match with no striking.

No way on Earth Shaw doesn't get Brutally beaten down by Dustin in an MMA fight.

Now if he lost some weight and Trained for a bit the way pudzianowski did, then yes, he would eventually close the massive gap in skill enough to crush a 180lb guy like Dustin, but not as he is right now, and that's even acknowledging that Shaw has obviously trained some grappling judging by his hips in the video.

weight classes are to separate people of somewhat similar skill sets. when you start matching people with no skill against people with incredible skill, that starts to go out the window to some degree.

watch the first few UFC tournaments. A 175lb skinny guy in pajamas beat actual trained fighters that had massive size and strength advantages. I can Guarantee you that shaw would not have won any of the first few UFC tournaments with guys like Shamrock, Severn, and Kimo competing in them. Royce beat all those guys, and Dustin would smoke Royce even in just a straight grappling match with no striking.

No way on Earth Shaw doesn't get Brutally beaten down by Dustin in an MMA fight.

Now if he lost some weight and Trained for a bit the way pudzianowski did, then yes, he would eventually close the massive gap in skill enough to crush a 180lb guy like Dustin, but not as he is right now, and that's even acknowledging that Shaw has obviously trained some grappling judging by his hips in the video.
It is insane that people still need to hear this in 2021, but I mean whatever makes allyear around gym-bulkers feel better about themselves <Fedor23>

Ok so how small can we go in terms of size? Does mighty mouse best Shaw in a fight? What about women fighters nunes is beating Shaw? if we are saying skill overcomes size and strength no matter what? I certainly wouldn't bet my retirement on it.

DustinP.png

9d8b2a7a-8def-11ea-a674-527cfdef49ee_image_hires_120911.png

Last edited:
Smaller guy got lucky; this could've ended much worse for him

Ok so how small can we go in terms of size? Does mighty mouse best Shaw in a fight? What about women fighters nunes is beating Shaw? if we are saying skill overcomes size and strength no matter what?

DustinP.png

skill doesn't overcome strength and size no matter what, but when your talking about professional fighters, it's got to be insane. Dustin isn't even a small guy. He's literally an average sized dude in tremendous shape.

I would imagine Shaw smashes Johnson, but he would have to do it in under a minute. Nunes is a woman. that's like comparing a man to a gorilla. she gets smashed like a bug

The guy would never get on top of an elite fighter like Guida. He would eat a bunch of punches, get really tired, and either quit or go to sleep. I would go as far as to say, Guida would destroy that guy in a straight wrestling match with no striking or submissions, much less an actual fight. That's not Bob Sapp, it's just some dude that lifts weights. Guys that big that can actually fight are very rare. You're confused by watching him sit on some kid that also doesn't know how fight.
I kind of doubt it. The big dude was pretty quick and explosive, shot right through him and had good balance on top. I don't know if he's wrestled, but he at least played football and knows how to finish a takedown. I don't think Guida has much more luck here. In wrestling, Guida may win late in a match if he can avoid a pin.

I kind of doubt it. The big dude was pretty quick and explosive, shot right through him and had good balance on top. I don't know if he's wrestled, but he at least played football and knows how to finish a takedown. I don't think Guida has much more luck here. In wrestling, Guida may win late in a match if he can avoid a pin.
He didn't shoot through anything. He smacked the guy upside his head, and the guy came at him with a weak overhand right. Once you lock up belly to belly with a guy twice your size, it's over. Add to this that the smaller guy had no idea how to sweep, set his hips, duck under etc.

A 180lb Clay Guida would absolutely overwhelm a guy even that size with no wrestling experience. If the guy had some legit training, maybe not, but I didn't see that. I saw a really big guy, overpower a guy that didn't know how to fight outside of throwing a wild punch.

As soon as that video, I thought "Oh damn, that won't end well."

The ending was positive though.

That's not a Strongman using pure size and strength to overcome a huge skill advantage possessed by a professional fighter.

That's a professional fighter letting a strong man (Who clearly has grappling experience) put him in a bad situation right from the get go when he's fresh.

Dustin would beat shit out of that dude (much less a strong man that's never rolled) 100/100 times. I would bet my retirement on it.

#1 By the time that guy got into that position, he would be pretty much gassed.

#2 He would get rocked trying to tie Dustin up

#3 Even if he didn't, I doubt he could take Dustin down without Dustin scrambling out of it before putting him in a bad position like that.

I've just seen too many untrained big guys get waxed by guys half their size in the mat room. Yes, there's a point were size and strength can overcome skill, but typically not when we're talking about world class vs an untrained guy. It would have to be a massive gap in size and strength. I've seen a 63 kg international wrestler make a fool out of a 300lb body builder before. Like it wasn't even close.
The fight was lost when he let the big dude grab him in close quarters. That's a wrap at that point, he could have popped that dude flush in the face and nothing would have happened.

Better move is either

A) De-escalate

Or if that doesn't work

B) Find open space and stay on the outside for 90 seconds until the big guys gasses.

That big fucker doesn't train cardio and ain't running 5Ks.

The bottom line is if your an elite fighter or wrestler yes you got a chance to beat guys who are physically superior in terms of size and strength, but guys that big can do serious damage to smaller guys and to say that dustin would beat some giant like Shaw 100/100 times in my view is crazy. For the average Joe with no training or even some training taking on a much bigger guy is a risk not worth taking. And I have trained and been man handled by smaller guys as well as over powered smaller guys.. but the reality is you never know who anybody is by looking at them and picking a fight with a guy who's got over 50lb on you is a bad idea generally. The guy in this clip was stupid and lucky that he picked a fight with someone who realised his position and didn't break him in half and leave him in a pool of his own blood.

Triggered manlets everywhere here

Well done TS since it probably was intentional

I carry a gat for monsters like that thing.

Size is very important, but it's not the end all be all. Having said that if you're going to fight a dude with a 100 plus lb. of solid weight on you, you better have power and at least some skill.

Size matters a lot when skill level is close.

They were both windmilling slaps and looked equally pathetic, so size was the determining factor.

Back