Thom Harinck Chakuriki Gym

wtu85

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Here is a video documentary from 1994 related to Tom Harink and his Gym. Some thoughts:

1. Harinck was very well conditioned here...he is close to his 60`s.

2. Notice how small the gym is. There are few students but all are good. You can see young Peter Aerts and the regretted Branko Cikatic. Legends...

3. Regarding the training, I have to say that some moves were sloppy by today`s standards. This may be only my impression or it may be that the dutch style kickboxing was still at an evolutionary stage.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on what "moves" were "sloppy"?

Here is a video documentary from 1994 related to Tom Harink and his Gym. Some thoughts:

1. Harinck was very well conditioned here...he is close to his 60`s.

2. Notice how small the gym is. There are few students but all are good. You can see young Peter Aerts and the regretted Branko Cikatic. Legends...

3. Regarding the training, I have to say that some moves were sloppy by today`s standards. This may be only my impression or it may be that the dutch style kickboxing was still at an evolutionary stage.

They were sloppy back then too, dutch kickboxing isn't as mechanically sound as Thai Muay Thai, but they make their approach work

Chakuriki fighters were always seen as fighters with mediocre technique, but a big heart.

Mejiro and Vos Gym fighters were much more technical.

Can you elaborate on what "moves" were "sloppy"?

Min. 35:45 and onward - Notice how they do not raise their hand to block the face when they through the jab. The adversary may counter this buy a slight leaning and a counter to the head with a cross which is not properly protected by the other hand. As I observe onward it seems that nobody is paying attention to this, everybody is jabbing the same way.

Min. 37:20 the guard is waaay to low even for this kind of soft sparring play.

Min 45:56 low/middle kick while jumping. This may work in kung-fu :)). On general, when middle kicking the hand position is not ideal at all. With one hand they should protect the chin and with the other hand (the one on the side of the kicking leg) should help the swing of the leg without letting it slip to low after the swing. This way their face remains exposed to a counter punch.

Funny how the improper hand positioning was evident with Aerts throughout his whole career. He seemed "wobbly" with his hands when under pressure. If someone does not agree, please feel free to discuss.

Perfect technique doesn't always guarantee victory. Aerts is arguably the GOAT Kickboxer. Their are guys with pristine technique that didn't accomplish a fraction of what Aerts did.

Last edited:
Perfect technique doesn't always guarantee victory. Aerts is arguably the GOAT Kickboxer. Their are guys with predestine technique that didn't accomplish a fraction of what Aerts did.
I’m a big proponent of making the quality of your technique as perfect as possible. But effective techniques are what count at the end of the day. Generally there is a strong correlation between the two but not always; Wilder is a prime example of bad looking technique that is none the less effective.

Back