thoughts on fighters going up in weight

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
i personally think at certain weights its a bad idea to add more muscle as it slows you down

obviously at smaller weights like 145 t 155 or 155 t 170 its ok guys like dustin did well with this

but guys going up t 205 from 185 i feel if you are a big guy u shouldnt try t gain muscle like rockhold for instance he already wasnt a very fast guy flatfooted and when eh gained muscle t go to 205 he became even slower and bulkier

i feel weidman will do the same and be slower thicker which will hurt him. i feel they should stay around the same size maybe gain 5 pounds only and use that speed and cardio to wear guys down. the bigger you get the less athletic less cardio your gonna have.

i just think those 2 are good examples on guys who shouldnt try t bulk up to much cause at higher weights guys have such power anyways 1 hit and its over a lot of times and bigger you get slower you get luke n chris really need their speed for 205

do you agree with me?

This would be a situation where you or your coach has to decide the optimal weight class for you to be fighting at. Most people that aren't paying the bills or making a living from fighting should just get bigger even at the amateur level. If you are indeed good enough to fight at a professional level weight class becomes more of a priority but starting out it isn't.

It depends on how your body adjusts and adapts to the new weight.

If you go up without your conditioning being affected, it okay. Generally it takes time to adjust.

Who gives a shit about dumbass armchair quarterbacking like this? I'm sure you are so much more knowledgeable about what weight class they would succeed in than their actual coaches are.

Everyone's got an optimum power to weight ratio for what they're trying to achieve.

I think a lot of guys change weight classes because they are less competitive, in terms of baseline numbers anyway. Loads of people at 155 & 170, I only know 1 or 2 people that fight 185 or above - literally nobody at my gym does. I used to fight at LHW (I'm 5ft 10), even in BJJ events there was hardly anyone in the 'light heavy' category.

It varies from one individual to another.

Hendo was always better at 205 than 185. DC may not be better at HW, but he certainly doesn't seem to be worse.

Back