Thoughts on my routine. Need honest criticism.

I struggle with: squats, powercleans, and clean pulls. Overhead press. With the overhead press being especially difficult for me.
What does this mean exactly? I can see maybe cleans and pulls being difficult to execute without proper technique but how is the overhead press especially difficult? Do you have shoulder mobility issues? I don't see why a 90% max ohp should be any more difficult than a 90% max bench.

What does this mean exactly? I can see maybe cleans and pulls being difficult to execute without proper technique but how is the overhead press especially difficult? Do you have shoulder mobility issues? I don't see why a 90% max ohp should be any more difficult than a 90% max bench.

Not really sure. I do them seated because the ceiling is too low in my basement

Not really sure. I do them seated because the ceiling is too low in my basement
I would do pin presses from chin level or just below if this is the case. Unracking a seated overhead press and re racking it sucks ass. I typically do them at a steep incline rather than completely seated upright for this reason.

So I do a push/pull thing at home with the barbell. Not super serious about it. I switched from calisthetics as I explained in this thread.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/no-racks-should-i-skip-barbell-squats.4130269/

I do a mixture of low reps heavy weight and low weight heavy volume.

Day 1
Deadlift
Clean deadlift
Romanian deadlift
Clean pull
Bent over row from floor
Power Clean
Hang clean
Reverse curls
Forearm pushups.
Burpees.

I do the reverse curls just Because

Day 2
Bench press
Zercher squats
Bodyweight squats.
Front/back squats
Fist and diamond Pushups
Overhead/military press.
Curls.

I feel good doing: deadlift and variations, bent over rows (from floor) and bench.

I struggle with: squats, powercleans, and clean pulls. Overhead press. With the overhead press being especially difficult for me.

I'm just looking for some feedback if I should add anything or take out anything. I try and workout every other day.
If you struggle with overhead presses and squats, do those first in your workout. Allocate more sets to them as well. If you need to take some other stuff out in order to do so its fine. I like to do 5 to 7 working sets for lagging lifts. Never to failure. I also like long rest periods in between heavy sets up to 5 minutes sometimes longer if I feel like I got too close to failure on previous set. I like your exercise selection but I think you may need less exercise variety if you're struggling by the end of your workout or all your lifts aren't progressing.

If you struggle with overhead presses and squats, do those first in your workout. Allocate more sets to them as well. If you need to take some other stuff out in order to do so its fine. I like to do 5 to 7 working sets for lagging lifts. Never to failure. I also like long rest periods in between heavy sets up to 5 minutes sometimes longer if I feel like I got too close to failure on previous set. I like your exercise selection but I think you may need less exercise variety if you're struggling by the end of your workout or all your lifts aren't progressing.

I haven't lifted in like a month because I pulled something doing overhead press. I seriously thought I broke my neck. Took like 5 days to heal. I just started doing bodyweight squats and pushups with focus on endurance. I feel healed enough to start adding my heavy lifts again maybe next week and I'm going to keep it how it was except no overhead lifts.

I haven't lifted in like a month because I pulled something doing overhead press. I seriously thought I broke my neck. Took like 5 days to heal. I just started doing bodyweight squats and pushups with focus on endurance. I feel healed enough to start adding my heavy lifts again maybe next week and I'm going to keep it how it was except no overhead lifts.
Be careful, I would start with less amount of different exercises and then add them back one at the time.

Be careful, I would start with less amount of different exercises and then add them back one at the time.

Yeah. I'm probably gonna do maybe 60 percent or less of what I was doing one focus on volume for a little bit.

Yeah. I'm probably gonna do maybe 60 percent or less of what I was doing one focus on volume for a little bit.
Yeah the best exercise program is the one that you can progress in and NOT get injured.

Yeah the best exercise program is the one that you can progress in and NOT get injured.

Funny thing is that I decided to do a light extra set of overhead press after my workout because I had extra energy. It was super lightweight. I did a set on my knees and I think that's what did it. If I just ended my workout when I should've id be fine. Here i was worried about the heavy zerchers and deadlifts injuring me but it was some basically broom handle OHP that did it.

Sounds like something that didn’t require a month off.

Back