Thoughts on not repping out deadlifts?

Eli1015

Martial Artist
@Brown
Reaction score
Alot of strength coaches in powerlifting say to not rep out DL because of the nature of the lift. It creates instability. And causes back injury.

I personally subscribe to this line of thinking because Everytime I rep out DL, even light weight, my back hurts the next day. But heavy singles never cause any issues.

Thoughts?

Lose a belt if you use one. Build your core up
gradually. I do 4-6 reps of 3plates with the deadlift I feel this is light enough and no soreness.
I think deadlift gets a bad rap because people get all hungry for big weight and use poor control and technique.

Singles are the only time i can do some volume without fear of injury.

Years ago i buldged L5 and it was from repping deads.

Singles are the only time i can do some volume without fear of injury.

Years ago i buldged L5 and it was from repping deads.
Same also have a herniated disk in low back. Can only do singles it seems.

I don't know any powerlifting coaches that would tell someone to ONLY do singles on deadlift. It would take forever to do any substantial amount of volume if that was the case and would require doing a lot of high intensity singles or extremely short rest periods to experience any form of fatigue. Everything you just mentioned has no cause effect. Doing multiple reps on deadlift has nothing to do with injury or pain. Your back 'hurting' does not mean you're injured.

gradually. I do 4-6 reps of 3plates with the deadlift I feel this is light enough and no soreness.
I think deadlift gets a bad rap because people get all hungry for big weight and use poor control and technique.

This is really strange advice.

I don't know any powerlifting coaches that would tell someone to ONLY do singles on deadlift. It would take forever to do any substantial amount of volume if that was the case and would require doing a lot of high intensity singles or extremely short rest periods to experience any form of fatigue. Everything you just mentioned has no cause effect. Doing multiple reps on deadlift has nothing to do with injury or pain. Your back 'hurting' does not mean you're injured.
I only do them while treading on 'higher ground'.

Alot of strength coaches in powerlifting say to not rep out DL because of the nature of the lift. It creates instability. And causes back injury.

I personally subscribe to this line of thinking because Everytime I rep out DL, even light weight, my back hurts the next day. But heavy singles never cause any issues.

Thoughts?
Try concentric only deadlifts if you're having trouble recovering. It's the eccentric that causes DOMs.

Matt Gary has written a deadlift program that only uses singles. Ben Pollack uses deadlift cluster singles. It can be a very effective way to train.

Last edited:
Mark Bell recently did a video saying to only do singles. Even going so far as to let go of the bar between reps. Louis Simmons also advocates doing high volume singles for dynamic effort. Like 15-20 sets of 1.

I think there is a case for both high rep volume and low rep volume. I suspect it would come down to how you feel you respond. Generally, I do well with high rep volume 5+ at lower percentages. However I ran a program that minimized rest between sets using volume with heavy singles and doubles and it worked really well. I felt like that one wasn't sustainable and using sets of 5 + were way more useful in the long term.

I normally stick to lower rep range overall but also run 5/3/1 and my amrap sets have hit as high as 20 before. I also like to throw in higher rep sets occasionally. Last week I done a sets of 21-15-9 with 315. I hit 15 reps on the first set, took a little break then hit the other 6. Hit all the other reps straight.

Don't know if it matters but I don't usually use a belt on anything less than 400 either.

Anything over 10 reps I do Romanian. If you breath at the top of each rep and brace, you shouldn’t have any spinal issues. I’ve done 495# for 10, 515 for 8, and 545 for 5 all beltless and touch n go without any issues.

In fact the only lifts that I feel lower back pain during are OHP and bench press.

Why use a belt for 315
Depends on set up but sumo I put one on at 495 and conventional 455
In spite of this is still only do 3-5 reps per set

Here’s what I want to know, does anyone else struggle with some assistance exercises (namely Rows) Being hard on your back if you go heavy but not feeling like you get any work done if you go light

Why use a belt for 315
Depends on set up but sumo I put one on at 495 and conventional 455
In spite of this is still only do 3-5 reps per set

No I was advocating TS lose his and try focusing on building core strength with lighter weight than what he would normally use.

Matt Gary has written a deadlift program that only uses singles. Ben Pollack uses deadlift cluster singles. It can be a very effective way to train.

Mark Bell recently did a video saying to only do singles. Even going so far as to let go of the bar between reps. Louis Simmons also advocates doing high volume singles for dynamic effort. Like 15-20 sets of 1.

I know programs with singles only exist, but I was talking more in context of TS post and that I don't think any good coach would say NEVER do any reps on deadlift (assuming this includes all variations of the pull). I'm sure someone could create a high frequency block of nothing but singles to get more volume over a week period, but to do nothing but singles forever? Probably not optimal for most, but as usual there is always that one exception.

Here’s what I want to know, does anyone else struggle with some assistance exercises (namely Rows) Being hard on your back if you go heavy but not feeling like you get any work done if you go light
Supposedly the lats and middle/upper back are hard to feel with rows yet you’ll still see growth. I’ve been doing Meadows rows and they’re awesome.

Back