Tilting/leaning when throwing a hook

Kendodsworth

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hi guys,

While having my morning dump I came across this video...

This is something I've always intentially done without really thinking about it - slightly leaning into my hooks when throwing them, throw a right hook slight lean/tilt to the right. My coach used to hate it and drill it into me to stop (didn't do it for every hook)

It's the first time I've heard of someone actually saying it's good to do and promote it...any of you guys come across coach's telling you to lean/not to lean into a hook.

Hi guys,

While having my morning dump I came across this video...

This is something I've always intentially done without really thinking about it - slightly leaning into my hooks when throwing them, throw a right hook slight lean/tilt to the right. My coach used to hate it and drill it into me to stop (didn't do it for every hook)

It's the first time I've heard of someone actually saying it's good to do and promote it...any of you guys come across coach's telling you to lean/not to lean into a hook.

I do tend to lean into the hook myself but only insofar as it got my head offline I.e. to the same degree as if I was slipping a punch. In other words my lean and head position at the end of the hook would be almost the same as it I were slipping a punch. I don't know if it is correct classical technique but no boxing coach I have ever trained with has ever corrected me of that trait and it seemed to make sense to me as well as seeming to add to the power without unbalancing myself so I kept on doing it. I would welcome any comments on this issue by experienced boxers on this forum also.

The tilt helps in transferring weight. I have a killer left hook. And it's most powerful when i tilt my right shoulder back when transferring weight slightly.

It's called "loading the hip". It's a transfer of the weight from one foot to the other, which generates the power. The dip of the lead shoulder completes the load. There's several things going on at once. To my current trainer's credit, he says there is no one perfect way to throw a hook. Some demand the elbow be elevated as high as the shoulder. Some say the hand should be palm down, others the palm facing you. I throw a hook with the palm at a 45 degree angle and my elbow slightly below my shoulder. I developed that as a result of a torn labrum and the habit stuck. It's effective if it lands and does damage. When sparring I often take some off the hook but doing so slows the punch and it seldom lands. But then again, I am 57 and all my punches are getting slow to the target and seldom land now anyway.

Back