Tips for New Fighters Starting Out

Take his advice, some of it is good advice. However he likely won't be back to read your comments.

The best advice you can have is this. In the fight game everyone is a shark and you are the meal, never give people trust they don't deserve or haven't earned, especially promoters and managers. Never trust anyone who stands to earn money off you fighting.

this i 100% appreciate, i'll have that in mind. and also to go back to that thread you linked... what was all that about?? what happened? or was it trolling...?

this i 100% appreciate, i'll have that in mind. and also to go back to that thread you linked... what was all that about?? what happened? or was it trolling...?
He was likely on drugs, hes a known con artist as well. A Sherdogger @Wormwood I believe it was actually stuck his neck out and went to try and make him safe from the "Thai Mafia" who were going to kill him. Got there and found the dude asleep/drugged out. I think family from Canada ended up heading out there to bring him home and get him help.

He was likely on drugs, hes a known con artist as well. A Sherdogger @Wormwood I believe it was actually stuck his neck out and went to try and make him safe from the "Thai Mafia" who were going to kill him. Got there and found the dude asleep/drugged out. I think family from Canada ended up heading out there to bring him home and get him help.
ahh i see. that's a weird situation for sure. but thanks for the advice and fill-in man, truly appreciate it and happy holidays

ahh i see. that's a weird situation for sure. but thanks for the advice and fill-in man, truly appreciate it and happy holidays
It's what I'm here for.
If you ever have any questions about the fight game feel free to send me a message, or start a topic in the stand up forum. You'll get all the help you could need here.

I'd like to take a 2-month fitness vacation. Anyone know about boxing/fitness camps similar to the ones in Thailand, except in a spanish-speaking Central/South American country?

This is what I'm looking for:

1) Open air gym (meaning not western-style gyms closed by 4 walls) like the gyms in Thailand. I always preferred this for mental reasons, the breeze of fresh air in your face, but now with covid it's a necessity.
2) Somewhere relaxing with nature around. I don't want to stay in an urban beehive, I already have that at home.
3) Accessible to beginners/lightweight tourists, I'm not trying to become a fighter here, just get in shape. I know there's people who look down at places like Tiger Muay Thai and call them McDojos, I actually liked TMT and am looking for something like that.
4) Reasonably affordable. Basically not aimed only at rich Americans.

I speak spanish, so anything south of USA other than Brazil is fine.

I'd like to take a 2-month fitness vacation. Anyone know about boxing/fitness camps similar to the ones in Thailand, except in a spanish-speaking Central/South American country?

This is what I'm looking for:

1) Open air gym (meaning not western-style gyms closed by 4 walls) like the gyms in Thailand. I always preferred this for mental reasons, the breeze of fresh air in your face, but now with covid it's a necessity.
2) Somewhere relaxing with nature around. I don't want to stay in an urban beehive, I already have that at home.
3) Accessible to beginners/lightweight tourists, I'm not trying to become a fighter here, just get in shape. I know there's people who look down at places like Tiger Muay Thai and call them McDojos, I actually liked TMT and am looking for something like that.
4) Reasonably affordable. Basically not aimed only at rich Americans.

I speak spanish, so anything south of USA other than Brazil is fine.
I've been through quite a few countries in South America. I think you would have a hard time finding a gym that's open air in South America. The levels of crime are quite high even in safe countries. Meaning while you might not be assaulted or in physical danger anything that isn't bolted to the ground is likely to go missing by morning. I can think of nothing worse for a person trying to run a gym than coming to work in the morning and finding out all your equipment has been stolen.
Nicaragua has quite a few boxing gyms open to foreigners, If you're lucky you might even catch a glimpse of Ricardo Mayorga.
Mexico might be your best port of call.

However should you look into Nicaragua you have three main choices -
Fight club Gym - A westernized gym. A lot of weights, cross fit style fitness along with all the heavy bags you could dream of. Sadly its in an industrial building not open air.
La Polvora Boxing - Old school style gym. No frills affair.
Alpha Dog Boxing - a modern gym stuck in the identity crisis of wanting to be old school while also being modern.

Sorry I can't be of more of assistance but I cannot think of a single open air gym that I saw while in South America. Maybe in Argentina but if you've seen the women in Argentina you'll understand why I wasn't looking at boxing gyms while I was there.

Is there a thread about training for scrambling. It's hard finding sparring partners with serious wrestling and I was wondering about drills that can be done alone.

Is this a thing?
Anything?

Is there a thread about training for scrambling. It's hard finding sparring partners with serious wrestling and I was wondering about drills that can be done alone.

Is this a thing?
Anything?
Really tough to practice alone but you can definitely practice with someone who doesn’t know dick all about wrestling.

Drill 1: lay down next to each other but with your feet in opposite directions. On the “go” command (set a timer with a phone, have someone call “go”, what ever.) you guys start wrestling. You can also start by holding hands with one arm while you lay with your feet in opposite directions.

2: this is some old school, team quest shit but you lay a heavy bag or grappling dummy on the ground behind you but a few steps back. Your partner comes forward throwing strikes and pushing you back until you’re close and then they shove you over the bag. You hit the mat and they come flying at you like a spider monkey. You can also have a third person ready on the far side of the bag to jump on you as soon as you hit the ground.

Im trying to attempt mma one last time lol .work and school always got in the way

I've been going to a new boxing gym for a few months and they want me to start sparring. I've sparred a couple of times, done ok i guess but feel this gym is a bit more full on, they have a few decent pros etc.

So, any tips? I'm 6 foot 1 or so, about 240, bit of a gut, been doing boxing training for 7 years or so. Cheers!

Damn is Josh still around today?
Last time he posted on sherdog, he was on drugs in Thailand begging sherdoggers for help saying the mafia were trying to kill him lol. Don't meet your heroes.

Last time he posted on sherdog, he was on drugs in Thailand begging sherdoggers for help saying the mafia were trying to kill him lol. Don't meet your heroes.
I remember that thread. It was awesome. Full on drug bender meltdown on Sherdog.

I remember that thread. It was awesome. Full on drug bender meltdown on Sherdog.

This is the thread

This is the thread
You aboslute legend.

LOL I wonder if the poor lad is still alive

Back