Tom Cruise or Willem Dafoe - Who deserves the Oscar more? (The Finals)

Who's your pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Continuation of these threads.

This is really tough for me, both are incredible actors. But I have to go with my man Tom Cruise.

Tom Cruise.jpg

I don't know. I'm not sure that either has ever actually been unjustly snubbed by not winning one. Willem has given several great performances but whenever he gets nominated he is usually up against killers. I think I would have probably just barely given it to Tom Berenger over Willem for Platoon and neither of them won anyway.

I don't know. I'm not sure that either has ever actually been unjustly snubbed by not winning one. Willem has given several great performances but whenever he gets nominated he is usually up against killers. I think I would have probably just barely given it to Tom Berenger over Willem for Platoon and neither of them won anyway.
even though he should have been nominated for lead instead of supporting for The Florida Project, it is absolutely laughable that he didn’t win that one because holy shit that might’ve been one of the weakest best supporting categories in awhile. if he was in the correct category i wouldn’t have given him my vote personally, but he should have stolen the rest of the supporting noms’ lunch moneys

Continuation of these threads.

This is really tough for me, both are incredible actors. But I have to go with my man Tom Cruise.

View attachment 1017834
I must be living on a different planet because to me Tom Cruise is a terrible actor. Sure the movies he s in are cool but I can't imagine watching Eyes Wide Shut and thinking whoa that's a good actor.

I must be living on a different planet because to me Tom Cruise is a terrible actor. Sure the movies he s in are cool but I can't imagine watching Eyes Wide Shut and thinking whoa that's a good actor.

Terrible actor?

He was great in A Few Good Men, Born in the Fourth July, Magnolia and Interview with the Vampire to name a few.

tom just because of the many kult movies

Tom Cruise, because I don't know who the other guy is.

Dafoe is great but it's Tom.

giphy.gif

i like him in EWS, & think the choices are very purposeful (also think Ryan O’Neil’s performance in Barry Lyndon), but Cruise’s super legit best performance is in Magnolia. i wish we got that Tom Cruise more often.

in general though, i do think he shows up sometimes, & sometimes he’s just a good fit for the demands of a very specific role (cough Ethan Hunt cough), & sometimes he’s just straight up bad or a complete miscast.

Last edited:
I don't think he's terrible, bit o don't think he's great either.

He's pretty good at playing Tom Cruise. He gets a lot of kudos when he plays angry Tom, like in Born on the 4th of July. Or when he just wears a lot of makeup, like in tropic thunder. But neither performance was anything other than Tom playing himself.

He talks like Tom Cruise, he moves like Tom Cruise, he emotes like Tom Cruise.

People just like watching Tom Cruise and there's nothing wrong with that, but I think you need to play other guys if you want to be respected as an actor.

I don't think he's terrible, bit o don't think he's great either.

He's pretty good at playing Tom Cruise. He gets a lot of kudos when he plays angry Tom, like in Born on the 4th of July. Or when he just wears a lot of makeup, like in tropic thunder. But neither performance was anything other than Tom playing himself.

He talks like Tom Cruise, he moves like Tom Cruise, he emotes like Tom Cruise.

People just like watching Tom Cruise and there's nothing wrong with that, but I think you need to play other guys if you want to be respected as an actor.
But can anyone else play Tom Cruise

<seedat>

Cruise doesn't do many films where he deserves an Oscar nod.

Back