Tony Ferguson refusing to tap is stupidity not toughness

TUNE IN 10pm/9 CENTRAL! lol.
cant-wait-gif-19.gif

People will remember Ferguson for not tapping to a MONSTER armbar and a LOCKED IN heel hook for decades, if not millenia.

In back-to-back fights even. No one else will have anything remotely like that in their highlight reel.

Not tapping has made Tony Ferguson immortal, in other words.

I can't say for sure. But I lean toward Tony being more crazy than stupid. He does unwise things often, but on the flip, he seems to think very deeply about things, and in a bit of a complex way. That, to me, is usually indicative of someone who is smart...but has some other issue/s holding them back.

Nothing tough about getting your joints snapped on live television. I will never understand the fighters that prefer to have career altering injuries instead of tapping to a submission. It’s short sighted and stupid. You’re a professional fighter, we know you’re tough. Getting your ligaments stretched and ripped out doesn’t make you any tougher and doesn’t make you lose less. It just gets you injured and reduces your chances of being successful in this sport.
I’m a huge Ferguson fan, but Khabib said it best, he’s a stupid guy.

I gotta give it to Tony. He's not getting any younger and a fight is a fight. He was in to the end and could have possible won. Weirder shit has happened and he didn't tap because he can grit it out.

Have you ever rolled? Have you ever fought a submission attempt of? I bet that he had a lot riding on that fight... a Khabib fight, maybe a title shot, maybe a Conner shot. We just don't know.

Nothing tough about getting your joints snapped on live television. I will never understand the fighters that prefer to have career altering injuries instead of tapping to a submission. It’s short sighted and stupid. You’re a professional fighter, we know you’re tough. Getting your ligaments stretched and ripped out doesn’t make you any tougher and doesn’t make you lose less. It just gets you injured and reduces your chances of being successful in this sport.
I’m a huge Ferguson fan, but Khabib said it best, he’s a stupid guy.

Its always been a thin line between foolishness and bravery.

"He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight"

-Sun Tzu

All the man has left is his pride, let him have it.

I despise Tony. I think is a complete asshole, and I think he's overrated.

But you gotta give the man his due: he's a tough mofo, and the exact opposite of Oliviera.

While Oliviera is many times more skilled, he is many times less-tough.

Something stupid can still be tough

Tony's legacy was on the line. Tony the type of guy jokes wouldn't be the same if he gave in like every other beta. Tony doesn't think like the common man.

It's both, but I agree it's stupid

Now you have a loss, AND a destroyed knee

I like the Conor approach of just quitting the second you realize you'll probably lose and not taking too much damage

..to this day i still dont understand why Conor came back into the sport after making huge piles of money.
Hes base motivation of mma was to get rich..and he achieved that already. Hes not as hungry right now compared to being poor. And motivation is a big key in success here in the top level of mma

Not a fair comparison. Jones won the fight, Ferguson is on a losing streak where 2 fights he got his limbs broken.
Plus it was an armbar and granted getting your arm broken ain't fun it is much easier to come back from a broken arm and still be a decent fighter. Leg locks however if you don't tap can lead to your career ending

..to this day i still dont understand why Conor came back into the sport after making huge piles of money.
Hes base motivation of mma was to get rich..and he achieved that already. Hes not as hungry right now compared to being poor. And motivation is a big key in success here in the top level of mma
Because fighting at the highest level with millions of people watching is fun (for psychos like Conor)

Plus it was an armbar and granted getting your arm broken ain't fun it is much easier to come back from a broken arm and still be a decent fighter. Leg locks however if you don't tap can lead to your career ending
Yeah and it's a lot harder to break someone with an armbar than a heel hook

Something stupid can still be tough

Tony's legacy was on the line. Tony the type of guy jokes wouldn't be the same if he gave in like every other beta. Tony doesn't think like the common man.
Tony's legacy wasn't on the line...

His legacy is set in stone, at this point he's past his prime and if he loses it doesn't matter

Hah! 4 years + as of Feb. I'm just blessed.

As far as the actual subject, one other comment : I've gone to sleep a few times not knowing how BAD a choke was (meaning I thought I had my path out), but if I feel like something will pop/snap/break, no thanks. Fortunately when I was rolling and sparring in those days, my trainers and partners were the kind of nice MN people to ask "OH Jeez, you ok there?" -- Nothing interrupts yer ground game like the politeness of that Minnesota accent ;)
My wife was great while she was my gf! But I know exactly what you mean about Minnesotaians, I work with a couple guys and they are great, nice people. I don’t have a bad thing to say about them. Can you imagine rolling with all Brazilians? A bunch Rousimar Palhares trying to rip your limbs off. Would definitely speed up that Learning curve.

If we look at his record, his last two losses is decisions. If he wouldve tapped, his last two losses is finishes. For his legacy in the long run, it's better that he didn't tap.

The average man would've tapped. For you his decision to tough it out is stupid. For Tony it is what it is.

I wouldn't say the average person would tap. I've competed in plenty of grappling tournaments where I've had an opponent refuse to tap. It happed WAY WAY more in beginner and intermediate levels than advanced. Especially in beginner I would just let go and move on because I was going to win on points than snap some "tough" kid's shit for no reason in a local tournament.

Back