Top 10 80s Artists/Bands

From a cultural standpoint and impact:

1. MJ-Biggest selling album of all time, cultural icon, international appeal, Videos were movies, fashion icon, dance icon, tabloid icon, We are The World..
2. Prince-Purple Rain album, movie, is a huge part of the 80's, icon, huge writer as well.
3. Madonna-Huge hits, fashion icon, movies, world tours, heavy MTV, image.
4. Run DMC-Biggest rap act ever, mainstreamed it, cross over appeal with Walk this Way, heavy MTV.
5. U2-Huge MTV rotation, had a message, international appeal, huge sold out world tours, Bono is a star.
6. Bon Jovi-Best selling album of 1987. Was the star of "arena rock" anthems, sold out shows and the Rock Star image backed by quality players. His MTV acoustic with Richie started Unplugged.
7.. Van Halen-Eddie reinvented how people play guitar, and both singers were stars. Jump is an all time huge single, they epitomized the California Rocker look.
8. Def Lep-Pyromania was big, but Hysteria had 8 Videos on rotation on MTV.
9. New Edition-They started the Boy Band craze, and every member was a star in their own right. They were all over the radio and girls had posters of them, even white girls, crossover appeal.
10. Guns N Roses-Best top to bottom album of the 80s with AFD. Heavy MTV and radio play, sold out world tours, iconic MTV awards apperances, heavy LA image.

My favorites for a personal impact:
1. Van Halen
2. Metallica
3. Maiden
4. Def Lep
5. Run DMC
6. Duran Duran
7. Prince
8. Journey
9. The Stones
10. u2

How are The Rolling Stones up there as an 80s mount Rushmore? If we're talking from a cultural impact standpoint then they aren't up there. The Rolling Stones were icons of the 60s and early 70s. Are you a GenX'er?

How are The Rolling Stones up there as an 80s mount Rushmore? If we're talking from a cultural impact standpoint then they aren't up there. The Rolling Stones were icons of the 60s and early 70s. Are you a GenX'er?
The Stones had quite a bit of success in the 80's. They released 4-5 albums that included hits like Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold, Start Me Up, Hang Fire, Waiting on a Friend, and Mixed Emotions. The Steel Wheels tour was their biggest tour to date when it kicked off in 1989.

Their tours in the 80s were HUGE. Start Me Up was 1981. Steel Wheels tour was late 80s. As far as cultural impact, that lips and tongue was still all over the 80s.

Their tours in the 80s were HUGE. Start Me Up was 1981. Steel Wheels tour was late 80s. As far as cultural impact, that lips and tongue was still all over the 80s.

Having one big tour isn't enough, I grew up in the 60s and 70s... Their cultural impact and biggest success came from the 60s and 70s... By the time it was the 80s they were seen as an oldies act of my era lol.

The Stones had quite a bit of success in the 80's. They released 4-5 albums that included hits like Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold, Start Me Up, Hang Fire, Waiting on a Friend, and Mixed Emotions. The Steel Wheels tour was their biggest tour to date when it kicked off in 1989.

Their peak was in the 60s - mid 70s, having 1 tour isn't enough to be considered an icon of that generation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back