Movies TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Named Best Picture by National Board of Review, post #1201)

If you have seen TOP GUN: MAVERICK, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Time wasn’t as kind to Kelly McGillis
99854963.jpg

Someone recently asked her if she was going to be in the new Top Gun. She said she hadn't been contacted and didn't know why.
<36>

I guarantee you if she was still hot they would have asked her back. 100%

I reckon Iceman would’ve been a rear admiral & his boss by now since he seemed a bit smarter than Mav.

tenor.gif

A great gif btw; his response better than words/retort
Not necessarily smarter. He just did things by the book, to the letter. So of course he's gonna have an easy time moving up the ranks.

I hope Jennifer Connelly is looking good in this.
She's let herself go in the opposite way of Kelly McGillis. She got SUPER skinny to the point of looking sickly. She definitely didn't look all that appealing in Only The Brave.

Someone recently asked her if she was going to be in the new Top Gun. She said she hadn't been contacted and didn't know why.
<36>

I guarantee you if she was still hot they would have asked her back. 100%

Not necessarily smarter. He just did things by the book, to the letter. So of course he's gonna have an easy time moving up the ranks.

She's let herself go in the opposite way of Kelly McGillis. She got SUPER skinny to the point of looking sickly. She definitely didn't look all that appealing in Only The Brave.

I hear u. Not in disagreement.

That said each character’s call sign represented their archetypal role. Goose, (Beta Best friend, voice of reason).
Iceman, your prototypical leader but more cerebral, cool & calculated. The intellect. He’s your finest pilot & does so by following the rules.
The Rules/Laws in any system are there to enhance order, competence, & success. Iceman is an exemplar of this system.

Maverick is the Archetypal hero/redeemer precisely because he is able to transcend the order/rules by knowing in which situation to break them. Thereby modifying the pre existing system & subset by creating new rules.
He’s the pioneer/hero who makes the unknown… the known. Pioneer-Lightbringer-Redeemer type role.

Piaget’s & Jungs highest forms of development or competence. Mastering the rules & being able to modify current system expanding on system with new rules/boundaries & solutions.

All that said, I still think Iceman is the smarter dude in general & in managing his career & things of that nature. I think Maverick (being the Skywalker-type hero) is the more gifted pure pilot with better innate instincts & not caring as much for the hierarchy of status or whatnot. Main motivation is to martial his & others skills of that craft.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Jus tryin to clarify (for myself) why I thought this in first place.

Last edited:
How often do Tom Cruise movies suck?

You didn't finish Jack Reacher 2 to see if Colby Smulders shows her private parts?

Jack Recher 2 has gotta be Tom Cruise's worst movie. It literally felt like a made-for-TV Steven Seagal movie, but with Tom Cruise instead of Steve Seagal. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

I never saw Mummy.

Aside from that, Tom Cruise is pretty damn reliable. His movies are usually awesome.

Jack Recher 2 has gotta be Tom Cruise's worst movie. It literally felt like a made-for-TV Steven Seagal movie, but with Tom Cruise instead of Steve Seagal. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

I never saw Mummy.

Aside from that, Tom Cruise is pretty damn reliable. His movies are usually awesome.
I'm pretty sure Mummy sucked more than JR2.

I’ll go see the movie only if the drone pilots are female bipocs, like it is in the real world.

I recently rewatched Top Gun and then last night saw an article interview featuring Jennifer Connelly and based on her character's name
I think she's the admiral's daughter that Maverick had sexual relations with (Penny Benjamin) as mentioned in the scene of Mav and Goose getting chewed out early in the movie and Goose's wife mentioning in the diner

Maybe 1 in 3. Mummy and Jack Reacher 2 sucked - didn’t even finish it.

More like once a decade. He's done about 5 movies in 50 that I would say aren't worth watching and some of those were still hits.

They should have just gotten Gina for this instead of this discount imposter Gina.
<NewGina>
I recently rewatched Top Gun and then last night saw an article interview featuring Jennifer Connelly and based on her character's name
I think she's the admiral's daughter that Maverick had sexual relations with (Penny Benjamin) as mentioned in the scene of Mav and Goose getting chewed out early in the movie and Goose's wife mentioning in the diner
I hope it's true. That'd be a sweet callback.

I do hope they give a brief explanation of where Charlie is. I will be disappointed if no mention whatsoever is made.

That said each character’s call sign represented their archetypal role. Goose, (Beta Best friend, voice of reason).
Iceman, your prototypical leader but more cerebral, cool & calculated. The intellect. He’s your finest pilot & does so by following the rules.

Where I'd disagree is on Iceman's leadership. Iceman isn't a leader as much as he is the team's star player. His leadership and poise faltered in the final dogfight and that's where Maverick's leadership came into play, and much more dramatically still in the opening sequence with Cougar where he had to risk himself to fly Cougar back to the aircraft carrier.

Iceman is more like Randy Moss or an Allen Iverson who never missed practice. He doesn't stick to the rules out of leadership so much as he does it to succeed individually.

Maverick is the guy that has Michael Jordan's flu game in game 7 of the finals.

I never saw Mummy.

Jack Reacher 2 was completely forgettable but it was still a passable theatrical action movie. Just barely, but it got there.

The Mummy was worse. So was Losing it. Lions for Lambs as well as Knight & Day were likely even more forgettable. And I probably prefer Jack Reacher 2 to Mission Impossible 2 or 3.

But that's literally all of his movies that I would say are possibly not worth two hours of somebody's life.

They should have just gotten Gina for this instead of this discount imposter Gina.
<NewGina>

I hope it's true. That'd be a sweet callback.

I do hope they give a brief explanation of where Charlie is. I will be disappointed if no mention whatsoever is made.
The original had so many callsigned pilots that went on to other somewhat decent movie/TV roles, they should have some cameos.

Where I'd disagree is on Iceman's leadership. Iceman isn't a leader as much as he is the team's star player. His leadership and poise faltered in the final dogfight and that's where Maverick's leadership came into play, and much more dramatically still in the opening sequence with Cougar where he had to risk himself to fly Cougar back to the aircraft carrier.

Iceman is more like Randy Moss or an Allen Iverson who never missed practice. He doesn't stick to the rules out of leadership so much as he does it to succeed individually.

Maverick is the guy that has Michael Jordan's flu game in game 7 of the finals.
de8d25ca2bb1eca9783c13316fe14a49.gif

59cbf012b6e1850ccd05d56d1e24d60c.gif

The original had so many callsigned pilots that went on to other somewhat decent movie/TV roles, they should have some cameos.

I was hoping for a Meg Ryan cameo but I heard that's not happening.

Tim Robbins would be the best one IMO. That would be sweet.

And what the hell, Stinger too. Though I imagine he'd be in an old folks home by now. But a picture on the wall would be funny.
8968e0161a899beb7c8ec881b4d4ee29.jpg

Back