News Top Rank calls off two fight cards over lack of COVID-19 testing, blames Donald Trump

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Man this is getting crazy, I wonder how long they are going to shut down everything.

Top Rank calls off two fight cards over lack of COVID-19 testing, blames Donald Trump

Ryan Young
Writer
Yahoo SportsMarch 12, 2020, 7:56 PM PDT

Top Rank called off two future boxing cards on Thursday night amid the COVID-19 outbreak, and cited a lack of access to tests for the virus, according to ESPN.

Shakur Stevenson, the featherweight titleholder, was going to defend that title against Miguel Marriaga on Saturday at the Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York. Michael Conlan was going to headline Tuesday’s card with his bout against Belmar Preciado.

Both fights were set to be held without fans, a change made in recent days in the wake of the outbreak in the United States.

The decision to call the fights off completely, Top Rank chairman Bob Arum said, was done because he said they had no way to accurately test the fighters for the coronavirus.

We were going to be guided by the recommendation of the athlete commission,” Arum said, via ESPN. “And they consulted their medical people and were advised not to go through with these events because there is no way to adequately test the fighters. It's as simple as that. It's a failure to provide the proper testing for this virus in-country. If we could test the fighters and one or two tested positive then we would eliminate their fights, same with the referee. But without testing we are operating in the dark.”

The fights being canceled marked at least the 15th boxing card that was either postponed or canceled in North America alone this week due to the outbreak, per ESPN. It’s just the latest cancellation in the sports world in general, joining the NBA, college basketball, XFL, MLB, MLS, PGA Tour and others.

Stevenson and Marriaga had promoted the bout just hours before the news broke on Thursday, too.

Arum blamed Trump for lack of coronavirus prep
Arum, while extremely upset for the fighters themselves, explicitly blamed President Donald Trump. Had he and his administration been prepared for the outbreak in the first place, Arum said, these fights would still be taking place.

“The people I am most sorry about are the fighters because they work so hard to get ready. They put in the time and sweat and they come out with nothing,” Arum said, via ESPN. “That's something that we should all blame the President of the United States for and his administration because they didn't prepare us for this pandemic when they had all the advance notice when the first cases started coming out of China.”

New dates for the fight have not yet been set, though Top Rank said it will “work with the commission to reschedule the events as soon as it is safe for all involved.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/top-ra...michael-conlan-belmar-preciado-025655455.html

Well, now I don't feel so bad about watching his PPV fights for free:)

I am really surprised to hear Bob Arum speak poorly of Donald Trump. That is pretty out of character for him

100% Bullshit. This all boils down to money. There s zero additional risk to the fighters, or the public safety as they were to be closed events.

Trump is now, and always has been an absolute twat, but he’s got nothing to do with these cards getting scrapp3d.

Unfortunately anyone with tickets to a large public event in the next 2-3months better be prepared to have it cancelled.

And no doubt the promoters will do it in a way that means you won’t get your money back.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxi...swindled---2-5-million-from-me-232036713.html
hahaha arum is one hell of a salty bitch
1w2h1t.gif

lol that people believe anything Trump has done could effect the coronavirus in any conceivable way.

lol that people believe anything Trump has done could effect the coronavirus in any conceivable way.

lol that people don’t believe his misleading, false and erroneous statements shouldn’t be criticized

What should trump have done?

I wouldn't blame any POTUS for this response, it's not inadequate like Katrina.

Maybe he could've taken the Coronavirus seriously from the start, perhaps? Maybe then we'd have been better prepared. And that's what Arum is bitching about. He's right by the way and it's absolutely Trump's fault.
Multiple reports have detailed how Trump did not just ignore the growing pandemic; he actively sought to block his own officials’ attempts to track and stop it. Why has there been such a disastrous lack of testing? Because the president didn’t want to know the answer, and because his staff were too busy fighting each other to do the right thing.
The sick joke of Donald Trump's presidency isn't funny any more

Last edited:

I wouldn't blame any POTUS for this response,..........

seriously. I wasn’t a fan of Obama’s but I didn’t and haven’t criticized him or his administration over their response to H1N1 and the 12,000 Americans deaths it brought. Its a friggin virus, they respect no man. You do the best you can and rally together to fight hand in hand.

He was called a xenophobe for blocking travel from China. Now he is taking heat for blocking travel from Europe. He is also being yet again being labeled a racist for calling the virus an invader from a foreign shore. Truthfully it doesn’t matter what he does there are certain groups of people that will criticize him.

@mod this is quickly devolving into a war room thread.

seriously. I wasn’t a fan of Obama’s but I didn’t and haven’t criticized him or his administration over their response to H1N1 and the 12,000 Americans deaths it brought. Its a friggin virus, they respect no man. You do the best you can and rally together to fight hand in hand.

He was called a xenophobe for blocking travel from China. Now he is taking heat for blocking travel from Europe. He is also being yet again being labeled a racist for calling the virus an invader from a foreign shore. Truthfully it doesn’t matter what he does there are certain groups of people that will criticize him.

@mod this is quickly devolving into a war room thread.
Meh, his own aides are blaming him, current and former aides. These are members of his own administration. They're blaming him for mismanagement over how he's handled this.

For six weeks behind the scenes, and now increasingly in public, Trump has undermined his administration’s own efforts to fight the coronavirus outbreak — resisting attempts to plan for worst-case scenarios, overturning a public-health plan upon request from political allies and repeating only the warnings that he chose to hear. Members of Congress have grilled top officials like Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and Centers for Disease Control Director Robert Redfield over the government’s biggest mistake: failing to secure enough testing to head off a coronavirus outbreak in the United States. But many current and former Trump administration officials say the true management failure was Trump’s.

Last edited:
How could he have taken it more seriously? Again, spell out what should have been done.
Poured money into vaccine research and remove FDA restrictions why are Canadian and other countries finding vaccines to test before the best country with the best healthcare? Why can Japan analyze 1000 tested a day and usa like 100?

Back