Traction vs compression in training, or how I am fixing my herniated disc

Urban

Savage Mystic
@Gold
Reaction score
TLDR:
The crux of this post is this: I have spent a lot of my lifting "career" compressing the shit out of my back with squats and deadlifts and giving no thought to exercises that work it in traction. Reverse hypers are saving my life. Moving forward I hope to be back to lifting in earnest in the next few months, but plan on having over half of my posterior chain volume made up with reverse hypers, hypers, hip extensions, glute ham raises, nordic extensions, etc.

First lets do a quick recap for the uninitiated:
- I was born with a heat condition (bicuspid aortic valve), and a little over 5 years ago I was told to stop lifting heavy, which I took to mean don't valsalva, don't do anything that requires abdominal bracing, and minimize spikes in blood pressure.
- three years ago that they told me stop everything I'm doing or I'll explode, surgery was my only option and at 35 I had giant fuck your sternum with a surgical axe heart operation called the Ross Procedure (I assumed named after the worst friend on friends)
- Post surgery I resumed my non-abdominal bracing practices and began to train with volume based goals using key lifts to get as much volume as I can in 60 seconds and/or a 30 minute session of 60 second sets. This worked well for a while and I was just getting past a calculated deadlift max of 410 when about a year ago, my hip started to hurt.
- This pain worsened over time, and while some people called it sciatica, or piriformis syndrome, it turned out to be a bulged disc and a herniated disc (L4/L5, L5/S1 respectively.) I've been in Physical therapy for 4+ months now, and its getting better, but a year ago I could almost put my palms on the floor and right now I can get my fingertips mid shin. I've lost significant mobility and while things are on a long slow upswing.

Now that we're all caught up, let me tell you what I've learned:
  • You will get to a point where old injuries will come back to haunt you. I probably damaged L5/S1 about 12 years ago. Presently, the combination of not bracing properly, adding high volume wear every session, and having a physically demanding job, and getting older has caused this injury to return and linger.
  • Go to the doctor, demand imaging as soon as you can get it. I had X-rays early on, and I needed an MRI to diagnose anything besides compression.
  • I'm not a fan of chiropractors, however, I am going to one fairly regularly because everyone and their mother will pressure you into going. The best case use of chiropractors I have found is taking advantage of the temporary relief in pain and increase in mobility to work on your rehab/mobility exercises. Go get distracted/popped/whatever then go home and do your PT. If you're not compounding exercise on top of chiropractic care, it's absolutely worthless.
  • The reverse hyper is saving my life.
Lets talk about the reverse hyper for a minute, this thing is absolutely fucking amazing. Buy one, build one, do what you have to do, find a home for it in your routine. It's effect is a combination of nerve gliding, distraction, and loadable exercise. I got a gym membership somewhere SOLELY because they have one and I wanted to try before I bought. I go three times a week, and 6 session in, 5 x 25 reps each session, it's amazing. I don't know why anyone would argue against it. Jesus fucking Christ on a cracker, it's awesome. I'm building one. If you have lower back pain, I can't even tell you how highly I recommend this thing. Find one, try it out, I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone but after fighting with RIDICULOUS pain for over a year its the ONLY thing that has worked.

#notsponsored.

I'm not totally clear on the witchcraft involved in reverse hypers but the Kool-aid tastes good and I'm pretty sure it comes down to working the posterior chain in traction instead of compression. My days of stacking on compressive stress until I'm an inch shorter are over I think. I'm think, especially for my particular needs, and for those who are prone to injury and need assistance with recovery, placing extra focus on exercises that place the back in traction is where volume should really be stacked.

These are some exercises that I think really deserve some extra attention. The equipment he lists here is kinda specialized but much of it can be fabricated, bought or improvised (you don't NEED a bamboo bar). Additionally exercises like Nordic hamstring curls, and reverse nordics are high intensity exercises that can be worked with minimal spinal compression.

Moving forward, training my posterior chain is going to involve greater emphasis on single leg and split stance exercises, accommodating resistance to lessen stress in compromised positions on bilateral movements, and regular inclusion of traction based movements as the bulk of my volume.

I know some people that swear by them and others thst say it doesn't do anything.

My aunt is an osteopath so will give me free sessions. I find it does help with things like stiff neck, sore discs etc. Whenever I get a lingering joint injury I'll osteo it for a few months until the pain goes away and I've got my movement back.

Only thing it hasn't been able to fix is a torn shoulder I needed surgery for. Back pain though I've gone from (deadlift related) not being able to sit in a chair properly to back to full ROM etc.

I just want more hula hoop hip squat videos.

The reverse hyper etc only really helps with the lumbar portion of the spine doesn't it? Or is it helpful with the thoracic?

I ask because I'm having issues with the very top of the thoracic, between the shoulder blades. Hoping I can just train my way through and out of it ATM. Was considering doctors over last few days but today there's hopefully a slight improvement after pressing a few rocks overhead.

The reverse hyper etc only really helps with the lumbar portion of the spine doesn't it? Or is it helpful with the thoracic?

I ask because I'm having issues with the very top of the thoracic, between the shoulder blades. Hoping I can just train my way through and out of it ATM. Was considering doctors over last few days but today there's hopefully a slight improvement after pressing a few rocks overhead.
Yes, primarily glutes, lower back and hamstrings. The traction notion isn't well supported as far as I know, but that doesn't mean it can't be a helpful exercise for some people with back pain, as per the OP.

I do think the branding is dishonest though. There's no scientific evidence to support it as particularly useful in rehabilitation, nor is there a lack of anecdotal evidence of individuals not responding well to it. Those stories just aren't broadcast as much, for obvious reasons (bias and monetary). With that, a glute and lower back exercise with large hip range of movement and without direct load on the spine could definitely be a useful addition to many training program. And as mentioned earlier, if @Urban is responding well to it then that's great!

Last edited:
have a bad bulging l5s1 as well many years ago, some nerve damages, calf cramps easily unable to sprint, however you can still function and doing frog jumps, lunges, body wt squats help alot, my lower back strength increase.
heavy squats actually impair me now, will feel a very tight back next day or what ever with the right form....front squats should be better.

I need to start trying these.
The gym I now cheaply go to does not have a reverse hyper, so will have to make do with hanging off a bench.

Plus one for the reverse hypers. I was using regularly at the gym. I haven’t been in over a year. I’ve kept my back pretty injury free for the most part, but can’t wait to get back using the rh.

I fractured my L4 snowboard 20+ years ago. It dogs me to this day, but Dr. Stuart McGill's "Big 3" done nightly and keeping my core strong has given me the most relief.

I fractured my L4 snowboard 20+ years ago. It dogs me to this day, but Dr. Stuart McGill's "Big 3" done nightly and keeping my core strong has given me the most relief.
Oh my fucking god. How the fuck are YOU?! Also of note, how was the pappy van winkle?

Oh my fucking god. How the fuck are YOU?! Also of note, how was the pappy van winkle?

It was great. But I feel like I missed out because I wasn't fully aware of how hard that shit is to get until I tried, comically and in vain, to buy another bottle. I wished I hadn't drank it so fast. The Michters was good too.

I'm still sexy as hell. Thanks for askin.

I bought one. It's great. I've been doing 3 x 10-12 leaving 1 RIR. After leg day and after a core day. Is there any reason for the super high reps

Last edited:
I bought one. It's great. I've been doing 3 x 10-12 leaving 1 RIR. After leg day and after a core day. Is there any reason for the super high reps
I'm doing them basically because people stronger than me say to, and its working to help my back pain. Its not a rep scheme I would have chosen, and I don't know if others would work just as well, but here's the article I read for loading parameters on the reverse hyper:

https://www.elitefts.com/education/11-set-and-rep-schemes-for-massive-reverse-hyper-back-pumps/

Thanks @Urban, this is just the information I need to start experimenting with getting my back functional. @bacon, the Big 3 information I found has stretches and mobility work too. I'm going to try that out to build some foundation before I try RHs. I have a complete rupture between L2 and L3 and a bulging disc at L3/L4 that presses on my sciatic nerve. I'll start a rehab training log and keep an eye out here and in the logs. I've missed this place!

Back