Training in Central Florida with no air-conditioning. Okay to train without a rash guard?

Silveresque

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have a relatively hairy chest and I was wearing rash guards in the winter before COVID-19 when it’s not that hot in Central Florida. But now training again in the summer, I feel like the rash guard has been really making me overheat and gas out much more quickly, which I’m prone to anyway since I’m still new.

Most of the guys in my gym I noticed were not wearing anything under the Gi, however it also didn’t seem like most of them were that hairy. I would like to train like that, however I’m concerned that other people will find it distasteful since I have a hairy chest.

I recommend wearing a Rashguard. I don't like being on the receiving end of excessive sweat or chest hair in my face so I'll extend the same consideration to my teammates.

1. Shave or wax your chest

2. Don't wear a rash guard and don't give a shit about chest hair

3. Wear a rashguard

Kind of odd to worry about this when there's the whole Covid thing though lol. Kind of trivial in the face of that factor, whether you think the virus is super serious or overblown, I guess it depends on who you interact with and how old you are too. But being sweaty would be the least of my concern if I was back to training rn

The rash guard is not what is making you overheat and gas out.
Yeah I guess, I wasn’t sure. I just found that I was overheating a lot more and having a lot more trouble compared to the winter, even though I had just started and only trained for a month before COVID-19.

I was thinking, maybe I should trim my chest hair?

But now training again in the summer, I feel like... <I> overheat and gas out much more quickly

You're overheating because it's summer in freaking Florida, not because of your rash guard.

I’m concerned that other people will find it distasteful since I have a hairy chest.

YMMV, but when some big hairy dude is holding me down and trying to choke me the last thing I'm worried about is the fact that he's hairy. Wear whatever you want.

Last edited:
If its really concerning wax it. Or you can trim it to make it shorter

Don’t wear a rash guard and give all your training partners mother’s milk

I would suggest maybe invest in a very thin running shirt. Most of the BJJ rashguards are nice but mainly geared for durability. I have several; the thicker ones seem to hold heat in. In the summer, I wear my thinner ones and sometimes just plain synthetic running shirts from Target or Reebok. I would think a lightweight gi for training somewhere like FL makes sense too.

I have embraced a lot of things doing BJJ that would otherwise be a turn off to normies, but someone's sweaty chest hair in my face is still just awful.

I feel like the rash guard has been really making me overheat and gas out much more quickly

Nope, that’s in your head. Like you said you’re new, so it’s understandable. A t-shirt would definitely have that effect, but a rashguard is moisture-wicking & very breathable, literally designed for this. They are warmer in the winter, & cooler in the summer. For sure you should definitely wear one when rolling, especially if you are a gorilla man. Don’t go full Along Came Polly on your teammates, many people will not want to roll with you.

LEr0apG.gif

As for why you are overheating & gassing out — that probably has much more to do with 1. Being new ... Don’t worry, it’s normal, just keep showing up! And 2. Breathing incorrectly ... Try to breathe in through the nose, not the mouth, both while warming up & especially during sparring. It’s a hard habit to make, but it will start paying huge dividends down the line as your cardio increases.

(And of course, make sure you are eating right etc. If you fill your body with crap, no amount of good breathing or proper uniform will compensate for what bloating will do to your cardio)

Use underamour heatgear. It helps me cool off. E
I actually did buy this after researching a bit after posting this thread and started training with it, and find it to be a good solution.

It would be a bad idea to roll shirtless, nobody would want all of your sweat smothered on their face man lol. Wear some of these rash guard, I get mine from them, not only it gives you protection but it's also protecting your buddies.

Back