Tried to find firearm / pistol thread - Just got myself a Glock 17

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I tried to find a thread already but the search function here is a bit wonky.

In 10 days I can pick up my Glock 17. Horrible thing about California is the 10 shot capacity :( . I held a large number of pistols. Debated between 9mm, 10mm, .40 and .45 but ultimately wanted something affordable and fun to shoot but also good in case of SHTF.

I didn't realize there was a Glock 45 out there which is the hybrid between the 17 and the 19. The 19 was too small in my hands and felt front heavy b/c of the shorter grip.

It will be my first pistol after owning a number of shotguns and .22lr rilfes.

I know Glock gets a bad rap sometimes b/c of rap songs always singing about them and what not. But just holding it, feeling it, seeing how easy it is to use it won. Beretta was 1B for me...super close.

I know 9mm won't "knock a man down" or anything but I also have buckshot 12ga if it comes to that scenario.

Last edited:
Glocks are one of the most reliable pistols around. That's why you hear about them so much in rap songs. Can't be shooting at the opps with a hi point lol. I got a glock 19 for concealed carry and I love it.

I can’t add too much to this conversation being from the UK where guns are ridiculously restricted but I did fire a load of hand guns and assault/sniper rifles recently on a trip to Budapest

I found the 9mm’s very lacklustre in terms of excitement, everything .45 felt way better

Firing a Smith and Wesson 500 was other worldly though so if I’m recommending anything it’s one of those hands down <45>

Glocks are one of the most reliable pistols around. That's why you hear about them so much in rap songs. Can't be shooting at the opps with a hi point lol. I got a glock 19 for concealed carry and I love it.

I really thought about the 19. For me, CCW just isn't in the cards yet. So the 17 felt nicer. Was tough choice though.

If I go concealed I really liked the feel of the S&W M&P Shield M2.0. Felt great. Just too small for my first handgun.

I really thought about the 19. For me, CCW just isn't in the cards yet. So the 17 felt nicer. Was tough choice though.

If I go concealed I really liked the feel of the S&W M&P Shield M2.0. Felt great. Just too small for my first handgun.
Yeah I mean the 17 has a slightly longer barrel but it wasn't really necessary for what I wanted to use it for. I got lucky and picked mine up at a gun show for like $350 with a case and 3 extra mags. Some old lady bought it and used it once and decided she didn't need it so I swooped on it.

You also live in Oregon which is a 3rd world country now....

I know 9mm won't "knock a man down" or anything but I also have buckshot 12ga if it comes to that scenario.
Lol @ not using your words and having to resort to violence

You also live in Oregon which is a 3rd world country now....
It's just the wild wild west out here right now. Shootings everyday throughout my city. It doesn't effect you if you know what areas to avoid. Still with a bar every few blocks, dispensaries everywhere, fine cuisine and all the tattooed up kinky woman you can have I'm in heaven.

I got my glock 17 when I was like 16 (grandma bought it for me)....so that is like '91. Think Glock might have only had the 17 and 19 at the time....maybe a couple more models.
Still have it...well my step dad has it.

Dumbest shit I did was get rid of my AK....but I was like 15 and wanted a Mac 11.... terrible

Resorting to violence is a good option lots of times. Saves time. Some dudes liked to try to talk shit to me and I was like you are not a girl so I don't give a fuck to talk to you. We can fight or you can fuck off.

Violence can be a lot of fun.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Besides, firearms and ammo aren't losing value these days.

I'm guessing you were being 75% sarcastic too btw ;)

Can we move the thread to weapons and tactics?

You'll get better responses there.

I've never been a Glock guy, they just don't point well for me.

I carry an M&P 9c daily as my concealed carry.

What do you need a gun for? You don't have a cellphone? Police professionals are but a phone call away.

Weapons and tactics section son
Can we move the thread to weapons and tactics?

You'll get better responses there.

I've never been a Glock guy, they just don't point well for me.

I carry an M&P 9c daily as my concealed carry.

Been here since 2005 and legit didn't know there was a weapons and tactics sub forum! LOL.

In 10 days I can pick up my Glock 17. Horrible thing about California is the 10 shot capacity :( . I held a large number of pistols. Debated between 9mm, 10mm, .40 and .45 but ultimately wanted something affordable and fun to shoot but also good in case of SHTF.

I didn't realize there was a Glock 45 out there which is the hybrid between the 17 and the 19. The 19 was too small in my hands and felt front heavy b/c of the shorter grip.

I know Glock gets a bad rap sometimes b/c of rap songs always singing about them and what not. But just holding it, feeling it, seeing how easy it is to use it won. Beretta was 1B for me...super close.

Consult Rap Videos for proper usage and technique:
giphy.gif

I swear 2Pac rhymed Glock with “Block” and “Rock” nearly 300 times lol.

Could've done worse for your first pistol. Personally I wouldn't have gone with a 17 since you are limited by a 10rd capacity in your state anyway. My new favorite glock is a 43x with shield 15rd mags

50 thousand Americans die each year because of gun violence. That's more people dead than soldiers in the Vietnam war which lasted 10 years... and was a war.

You should have got a 1911. It’s like a Glock, but for men.

Back