TRT for beginners | What I wish I knew before getting on TRT

I’m curious about the 5% estradiol number you stated. I’ve had my testosterone tested twice in my life, but only once did they test for estradiol. My estradiol was 15% of my total test and at the time I was about 240lbs at 6ft, sedentary and recovering from inguinal hernia surgery. I’m just curious what the relationship between total t and estradiol is; I’m assuming my excess body fat at the time may have had something to do with it. I was tested two years earlier while being 50lbs lighter and my total and free were both quite a bit higher, unfortunately I did not get tested for estradiol. Also if it matters, both times my sbhg were 10 and 13. I appreciate this thread, it is a great source of information.
Body fat raises the conversion of testosterone to estrogen. Also you need to make sure you test for sensitive estradiol and not estradiol only. The latter is a test for women and is useless for gauging the estradiol level of men.

There is no scientific evidence for the 5% relationship between total testosterone and estrogen. It’s just simply a gauge that I found to be reasonable for myself. Some people feel better with higher estrogen, and some people feel better with lower. Everyone’s different really. However there is evidence that having lower estrogen does have Cardiovascular, cognitive, and bone related risks.

Body fat raises the conversion of testosterone to estrogen. Also you need to make sure you test for sensitive estradiol and not estradiol only. The latter is a test for women and is useless for gauging the estradiol level of men.

There is no scientific evidence for the 5% relationship between total testosterone and estrogen. It’s just simply a gauge that I found to be reasonable for myself. Some people feel better with higher estrogen, and some people feel better with lower. Everyone’s different really. However there is evidence that having lower estrogen does have Cardiovascular, cognitive, and bone related risks.
Interesting. I appreciate the response.

Interesting. I appreciate the response.
Hey Smato, did aip ever help you out at all? I remember us chatting a long time ago and you said you might look into it. I don't remember what you were going through

Hey Smato, did aip ever help you out at all? I remember us chatting a long time ago and you said you might look into it. I don't remember what you were going through
Funny you say that actually, but yes it did. I always wondered why my body hurt when even eating gluten free pasta with sauce, so it cleared up a bunch of other food sensitivities I may have had. I appreciate the recommendation

I came on here to post a thread asking a question about getting off TRT, only to realize that after 11 years on this message board, I'm not yet able to create a post. Hoping someone out there can shed some light on this issue for me.
38 y/o, 205 lbs, 6ft. Been on TRT (cypionate) for approx 6 years. I was 200 mg/week for a few years, but have reduced to 100mg over the last 4-5 months or so. T level was in the mid 200s range when I began therapy, though lifestyle wasn't great at the time. Now, I wish to go off TRT now and see what some positive lifestyle adjustments can yield. Plus i'm sick of weekly injections.
I have a shit ton of HCG and arimidex that I never used. I also have several bottles of test (i took less than I was prescribed).
I spoke with my doctor today about this and he said to just quit and use a bottle of HCG. Hoping for a second opinion on this from anyone with personal experience.
should I quit test and just do two HCG injections per week as recommended by my doctor?
Or should I continue test for a while, and add HCG so it has ample time to help my natural production recover, before dropping the T (at which point, continue HCG for a couple of months) ?
Following that, will arimidex be necessary?

I've seen lots of mentions of things like Comid when coming of T. Doctor did not mention anything about this. Side note here, my doctor wasn't some family practitioner that doesn't know anything about HRT. He runs a men's health clinic and looks to be juiced to the gills himself. I would assume he knows what he's doing if I hadn't read a bunch of contrary things regarding this subject online over the last few days.

thanks in advance to anyone who has insight on this issue

Last edited:
I came on here to post a thread asking a question about getting off TRT, only to realize that after 11 years on this message board, I'm not yet able to create a post. Hoping someone out there can shed some light on this issue for me.
38 y/o, 205 lbs, 6ft. Been on TRT (cypionate) for approx 6 years. I was 200 mg/week for a few years, but have reduced to 100mg over the last 4-5 months or so. T level was in the mid 200s range when I began therapy, though lifestyle wasn't great at the time. Now, I wish to go off TRT now and see what some positive lifestyle adjustments can yield. Plus i'm sick of weekly injections.
I have a shit ton of HCG and arimidex that I never used. I also have several bottles of test (i took less than I was prescribed).
I spoke with my doctor today about this and he said to just quit and use a bottle of HCG. Hoping for a second opinion on this from anyone with personal experience.
should I quit test and just do two HCG injections per week as recommended by my doctor?
Or should I continue test for a while, and add HCG so it has ample time to help my natural production recover, before dropping the T (at which point, continue HCG for a couple of months) ?
Following that, will arimidex be necessary?

I've seen lots of mentions of things like Comid when coming of T. Doctor did not mention anything about this. Side note here, my doctor wasn't some family practitioner that doesn't know anything about HRT. He runs a men's health clinic and looks to be juiced to the gills himself. I would assume he knows what he's doing if I hadn't read a bunch of contrary things regarding this subject online over the last few days.

thanks in advance to anyone who has insight on this issue
I dont think we can discuss protocols on here but Feel free to DM me. Why do you want to get off TRT? it is going to be rough, to be perfectly honest, but you can get your natural production back. it wont be optimal though. I have a solid recovery protocol, feel free to DM me for info

Is trt out of the question if I have high blood pressure?

I've asked my doctor twice about trt and each time he tells me to just exercise and watch my diet. That he doesn't recommend it.

47 yo and have been losing energy the last few years.

Is trt out of the question if I have high blood pressure?

I've asked my doctor twice about trt and each time he tells me to just exercise and watch my diet. That he doesn't recommend it.

47 yo and have been losing energy the last few years.

Out of the question? No.

A decent Dr should be interested in at least investigating your concerns, full panel blood work may be in order. Don't assume you need TRT or try to prove it, investigate your symptoms without preconceived bias.

Myself, I've been on TRT for close to four years, I'm on 200 mg every 14 days & I'm 57-years-old.

And before my wife passed away three months ago, I was very happy with it. It worked wonders for me & I felt great. I performed very well & I've had no adverse side-effects whatsoever. And I have no issues with being on it for the rest of my life. I almost went off it after my wife died because I didn't think there was any reason to stay on it. Because keeping up with her was my primary reason for going on it, to begin with ( she was 21 years younger than me ). But my primary convinced me to stay on it. She said that my depression would only get worse if I stopped as would my energy levels which would adversely affect my overall health. So, I agreed that staying on it was a good idea.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife man. If you feel better on TRT and it's helping to alleviate the depression you mentioned than i'd stay the course. My condolences again brother.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife man. If you feel better on TRT and it's helping to alleviate the depression you mentioned than i'd stay the course. My condolences again brother.
Thanks much, bro. I appreciate it.

I am 50 and still waiting. I have been waiting a very long time. The biggest thing I had to get past was giving up on powerlifting PRs in my 30s. I had to get past the goofy idea of trying to set masters powerlifting records. Taking TRT to bench or squat is not valid. It is just foolish but I understand that kind of foolishness so well. I am still in good shape naturally. I still can out lift half the 20 year old guys at the gym. I am going to try to push it out to 60 if possible.

Back