Trying to get back into BJJ after years off

If the gyms are reasonably similar in distance, you should be trying multiple gyms anyway.

Fuck those guys. Find another place that is more respectful of your predicament.

I’d be so motivated by petty revenge I’d want to go to another gym. Put my obligations aside. Train extremely hard for 6 months.
Then go to open mat and the gym full of dorks and try to tap them with neon belly.

Whatever you do, don’t roll with any blue belts.

They’re going to attempt to murder you, especially if the instructor is watching.

Have you spoken to the instructor of the new school? I would talk to him, and see what he says. I think the students sounds like a bunch of petty insecure a-holes though. I would try out different gyms unless this one is the closest to you.

To be honest, I doubt it would be helpful.

The reason is that instructor usually is responsible for the culture and attitude of his gym.

Usually students absorb the instructor attitude and try to replicate him.

I always try to welcome guys who are getting back into it. It seems strange to criticize someone like that.

No matter what just stay positive and keep training man.

I always try to welcome guys who are getting back into it. It seems strange to criticize someone like that.

No matter what just stay positive and keep training man.

You have no idea how people are really up into their own little bjj world within the boundaries of the walls of their gym.

I will you story that happened to my students last Saturday.

He went to an open mats at what I consider a gym that we are friends with .

My student just rolled with this blue bekt and was doing his things. Especially this week I introduced these new drills: tripod, DLR, single X and X guard. So surely he would have been testing this new drill at an open mats .

Well anyway, a blue belt at the host gym asked him where he trained because he was really good.

So my student replied he trains at my club. The blue belt replied: "yeah, I know you train at his club because you wear their rash guard". But surely you must have train with someone else in Brazil before that".

Basically that blue belt announced that I was a shit instructor and that the only explanation for my student to be any good is that he is BraziIian and trains in Brazil before he joined my club.

The sad part is that I know that blue belt and he only reflects the attitude of his peers and instructors.

Last edited:
I was/am in. Sort of similar situation, but only 6 months off. But same circumstance, new gym, brand new purple and went into a tough, competition focused gym.
Whatever you do, don’t roll with any blue belts.

They’re going to attempt to murder you, especially if the instructor is watching.

The purple belt curse, now every roll with a blue is a death match. And every roll with a brown or up is a beating.

On one hand, I get that people are on the lookout for fake belts. Imagine if just after getting your purple belt, someone comes into the gym wearing a purple belt, and is obviously struggling with some technique and maybe unclear about their background, etc. Wouldn't you be curious?

On the other, hand if you/ the stranger were just straight forward, and say- "hey I'm rusty. I got injured a month after getting my purple belt from (your previous instructor) and this is my first time on the mat after 3 years off" - that should be the end of it.

If people can't accept that- you are at a douchebag gym and should look elsewhere.

You are going to struggle / take a while to get back up to speed. Don't worry about what people think. Your skills will come back much faster than someone who is lying, so even skeptics in 2-3 months will accept you for what you are. And even if they don't who the fuck cares?

If you give the name of the person who promoted you to purple, and inform them of the long lay off, the other students should back off. The only time I’ve ever heard anything remotely close to this is if nobody has ever heard of the professor.

So you can either try another school where the guys aren't such dick heads.

Or....You can just accept that you lost a step and train until it comes back to you. By the way, I've taken a few years off before. It's normal for your brain to remember things but your body loses the muscle memory. Keep training consistently and it will come back to you. Promise. And eventually you'll be tapping the guys who were initially making fun of you. You'll earn your respect the hard way.

And you know, you don't have to prove anything to anyone. Everyone's BJJ journey is going to look different. Everyone's reasons for training are different. So remind yourself of why you train and commit to that goal. Don't let petty stuff like this stop you from enjoying yourself. They wanna rain on your parade, bring an umbrella and enjoy yourself.

Success is the best revenge. Just stick to it until you start tapping them.

But again, it does suck to train in a shitty environment, so if you can go to another school, go to another school.

If you give the name of the person who promoted you to purple, and inform them of the long lay off, the other students should back off. The only time I’ve ever heard anything remotely close to this is if nobody has ever heard of the professor.

Even then all it takes is a google search. Not everyone's coach is famous. But every black belt's lineage can be confirmed at least. Shit, I remember some dork asked me who my original coach was and was like "never heard of him." I'm like, dude, before I came to this school I never heard of your coach either. Not every coach is famous.

Dude you are way too anxious about this. If you are a low purple who hasn’t trained in a long time you’d normally be expected to roll like a mid blue or so. You need to develop some internal goals and pursue them rather than caring about what a bunch of people you don’t even really know might think.

I wouldn’t change your belt or gi. That’s just playing a pointless game, like you were a middle school girl or something. Show up in gear and train, have fun improving, that’s all that really matters.

Agreed.

OP, it's your life. Getting back on the mats after 3 weeks can be tough, let alone 3 years. It's your life, list down your goals and remember, they are YOUR goals.

Belts are only there to keep your gi jackets in place

Hi guys

Just had a super disenchanting experience today. I am a purple belt who, after 3 years off, is trying to get back into the sport. At the time of quitting, I've barely been purple for a month - in fact, my grading somewhat contributed to me quitting as it re-opened a shoulder injury which in turn got worse as I (somewhat foolishly) kept on training.

Long story short, after a lot of negative self talk, I dragged myself to a BJJ gym today for a free trial (I didn't go back to my old gym as I have moved states). Everything was fine until we started drilling techniques - this was when I heard other students commenting behind my back that I wasn't performing to the prerequisite standard. To be honest, I did forget some of the details of the DLR sweep we were doing but - then again - I got the gist of the technique right. Shortly after I heard the talk behind my back, I was asked how long I've been training, how long I have taken a break for, where did I get my belt etc. Since I've just gotten my purple belt when I quit, I got quite nervous and I stumbled over a couple of the answers. These students then went on to ask about why my gi looked so flimsy (this was a gym where everyone wore the same types of gis - and my gi was "flimsy" because it was a single weave -.-) and why my belt was such an "interesting" colour (apparently it was a much lighter shade of purple than "usual"). They even sniggered when I didn't turn to the wall to retie my belt (at my old gym, everything was super casual so I wasn't used to this practice).

Man, I've always been a somewhat nervous practitioner (always asking myself if I'm good enough) and today has been a nightmare come true. No one outright said "are you sure you are a purple/are you lying?" but the insinuation was there. It doesn't help that I don't actually feel myself worthy of the belt either. I just keep on thinking to myself "if, at the time of my grading, I was just ready for purple then surely - after so many years - I have fell far below the common standard". What do you reckon I should do? Today's class proved I was still interested in BJJ but then...I just hate being thought of as an imposter. Do you reckon I should try out more gyms? Should I wear my old blue belt to the next gym and wear a studier gi (like a double weave tatami instead of the single weave fuji I wore today)?

I am just so disappointed in the entire experience and in myself...

If anything, you've lost timing (a lot of it) and some details. Like I posted in another reply, list your goals and strive towards them. They're YOUR goals and it's YOUR life.

On the tie your belt thing, it's alright. Some do, some don't. Some call it McDojo BS, some call it a bit of discipline and order (FYI, I'm in this camp). I wouldn't dismiss like most people here. Remember, you're a guest (at this point in time) you do have to adhere to their rules. If you don't like them, there's a door you're welcome to walk out of and never return.

What? It seems like you found some motivation to do some major ass kicking. Just do it in a subtle way. Get your mojo back and start blasting those fools.

What cash bill said pls. I was in a very similar situation with the time off (gym has been great though). I thought I would keep most of what I had learned, but you really forget alot more than you think you will.

Man on one of my first days back from a very extended layoff - I remember trying to do a forward roll on opposite shoulder escape out of an omoplata and I landed somewhere between the crown of my head and forehead. The cobwebs are real.

It'll come back for you soon enough.

Last edited:
Yo fuck that gym. Any gym that makes you face the wall to tie your belt is 100% gracie certified bullshit.
I got angry reading how they treated you in that post, doesnt happen often either.
Even if you were rusty blue belt quality, no one at my gym would have instantly questioned or mocked you behind your back like that

It's a simple rule. All it takes is simple rules to show a bit of discipline. For some, it doesn't take much for the culture to switch to "just walk on and off whenever you feel like it, even when you're late for class"

On your second note. Way back when I was white belt, there was a blue belt that hadn't trained for years but was on the comeback. We're drilling and I'm the one showing him the details of techniques and thinking "How does he not know any of this?". Whelp come time to roll and he puts on a absolute technical beat down on me. The muscle memory was strong with that one. He couldn't describe a tech and all the little details but come go time, everything just clicked for him

That must feel terrible OP. I dread taking time off too and having to come back.

We turn to face the wall to tie our belts too so I dont think that's wierd (maybe a Gracie Barra thing??) but everyone I've ever met there has been nothing but friendly and respectful. I can't even imagine any person there being so catty and discrespectful.

I agree with others about maybe trying a new gym, but I also think as a purple in a few months you'll get back in shape in no time.

That being said, I've seen a TON of absolutely terrible blue and purple belts, but without exception every brown belt I rolled with has been a killer. Something definitely changes between purple and brown IMO.

Thanks for the all the feedback guys. You guys really helped me see things in perspective.

I've already booked another trial at a new gym. This time, I will definitely show more confidence coming in and not worry so much!
I returned to the gi after 4 years doing no gi and was a one stripe purple. A good blue belt tapped me second roll. At first there was no pressure because I was the no gi guy but as I continued I felt I had to be some purple belt killer. I have just kept turning up and reminded myself to have fun and that there's nothing to prove. There's good days and bad days but consistency and self belief is key along with keeping your fitness up. Fast forward a year I have received two more stripes, am helping run class and for the most part am dominating and holding my own where I should. And to echo the sentiments of the others, facing the wall is some koolaid shit. A year back and coach is happy with my progress and even tells me I keep him honest. Dont sweat the fucktards. There's life outside the gym. Enjoy your time at a good gym and run your own race

I'm stoked I found this post, this was the reason I actually joined the site. I had a very similar question honestly. I'm also a purple belt who was promoted about 6-8 months before I had two very serious injuries which sidelined me. I haven't trained in about 3.5 years and when I left I was about 205lbs and would compete at 194lbs. Currently I'm 240lbs (not all fat some muscle), but my flexibility and conditioning is straight up shit because of the injuries.

I too relocated and will be going to a new school and I guess my question was basically how to best handle the situation. I'll be honest, with where I'm at currently I'll get humbled by good blue belts for a few months and with my flexibility completly gone due to the injuries, even drilling simple basic techniques will be difficult for awhile. I guess it's kinda a pride thing coupled with the fear of potentially looking like someone who either didnt earn it, or was promoted far far ahead of when I was ready. I can confidentlly say when I was promoted I feel I was ready and before I was hurt I trained 3-4 times a week evry week. After reading the comments I think it's best just to be up front with everyone and tell them I had some serious injuries and have been out almost 4 years so just bare with me. Also I expect, or hope things will come back fairly quickly. One question for everyone though, how long do you think it will take me to get near to where I was? I'm thinking 8 months maybe if I'm rolling 3-4 days a week. Thoughts?

Back