International Tucker Carlson in Russia to interview Vladimir Putin UPDATE - Also Dugin

It's sad that you and other people who claim rationality simply revert into "bad guy is evil" and "good guys are heroes" lines of thinking and then claim other people are spreading propaganda. Instead of actually looking at historical context of both sides, you simply think that Putin is the most evil person in the world and if he just wasn't so evil the world would be perfect and great. It's just jingoistic jargon that I guess helps you moralize certain infractions by your own warmongering government(s) which you seemingly do not support in some cases but support in other cases? It's very confusing to someone with a principled stance on the matter as it's seemingly random which cases you support the American government warmongering efforts on and which cases you don't.

It's insane that you think you can condense decades and centuries of historical, geopolitical and social contexts into simply "Putin bad" and deride anyone for providing any additional context as simply "propagandized".

Curious what you would think if China invaded Taiwan. Certainly there is historical context so would you be okay with sitting back and watching China take them over?

Historical context only goes so far and you need to weigh current geopolitical context too.

It's sad that you and other people who claim rationality simply revert into "bad guy is evil" and "good guys are heroes" lines of thinking and then claim other people are spreading propaganda. Instead of actually looking at historical context of both sides, you simply think that Putin is the most evil person in the world and if he just wasn't so evil the world would be perfect and great. It's just jingoistic jargon that I guess helps you moralize certain infractions by your own warmongering government(s) which you seemingly do not support in some cases but support in other cases? It's very confusing to someone with a principled stance on the matter as it's seemingly random which cases you support the American government warmongering efforts on and which cases you don't.

It's insane that you think you can condense decades and centuries of historical, geopolitical and social contexts into simply "Putin bad" and deride anyone for providing any additional context as simply "propagandized".

I accept your concession.

Curious what you would think if China invaded Taiwan. Certainly there is historical context so would you be okay with sitting back and watching China take them over?

Historical context only goes so far and you need to weigh current geopolitical context too.

Well this depends on how far back you want to go doesn't it? Not to mention that the real history of Taiwan isn't really known by any of the bumblefucks in Western nations, or the fact that the Chinese Nationalists spent 50+ years rewriting the history of Taiwan to suit their needs when they setup shop on the island.

I am descended from the indigenous people of Taiwan, the ones who were there over 5000 years ago before the Chinese were even a civilization. You can't really compare China/Taiwan to Russia/Ukraine, it's not the same.

I don't have a strong opinion or knowledge of it. I never even said that I agreed with Russia invading Ukraine, just that there is a long historical context that can't simply be condensed into "Putin bad". Especially that many posters on Sherdog would have cared to actually educate themselves in. Notice that most people who are unbiased historians don't simply condense things into simple statements like one side is bad. They provide context that lets people view both side's reasonings and morals so that we can have a broader scope of the picture.
No concession was made. You just said "Putin bad lol" and then acted like it was some sort of victory?
That literally doesn't counter my statement. The USSR was still a thing when that conversation happened. They didn't have a crystal ball and didn't know at the time the whole thing was collapsing in on itself.

Gates might agree that the Bush antagonized Russia afterwards, but in the historical context of the conversation they could not make promises on events that did not yet occur. The conversation was about East Germany. NATO has adhered to that promises in that conversation even though they were never formally agreed to. There's still no NATO bases in East Germany.
They have military bases way east of Germany and closer to Russia today. US doesn't need to put bases in East Germany because they are putting them even closer to Russia. The person who said the statement said what he meant, he was not specific to East Germany but rather expanding towards Russia. It's like if Russia put missiles in Mexico and said "well, they aren't in Cuba" because an agreement was signed to take the missles out of Cuba during the missle crisis. And there are plenty of resources of Western officials stating that they signed this unification agreement under the understand that expansion would not happen towards the Soviet Union, for example:
In a speech at the Protestant Academy in Tutzing on January 31, 1990,German Foreign Minister Hans-Dietrich Genscher took the initiative.He called for NATO membership for united Germany and rejectedthe notion of a neutral Germany. However, he added an essentialreservation to the demand for NATO membership: “Notions that thepart of Germany that today constitutes the GDR should be drawninto the military structures of NATO would block attempts at gettingcloser.” He continued: “It is NATO’s task to clarify unequivocally thatwhatever may happen to the Warsaw Pact, there will be no extensionof NATO territory to the East, i.e. nearer the borders of the SovietUnion. This guarantee will be signifi cant for the Soviet Union andits attitude.” He also spoke of the future role of both alliances. Theywould shift from confrontation to cooperation and should becomeelements of cooperative security structures in the whole of Europe.

Why would you think that Russia cares about East Germany now that their borders are no where near East Germany? It's clear from both what Russia is saying and what the West has said for a long time that they wanted security by their Russia's border. And simple logic would also tell you that, but it seems you are so content on simplifying the situation down to "Putin bad" that you will use whatever illogical reasoning is required to justify it to yourself. And again, you aren't even trying to view it from Russia's point of view, because you are actually propagandized into simply thinking they are evil. And it's easy to see, propaganda has always been used to simplify and vilify groups of people, which you are so quick to do yourself.

I don't have a strong opinion or knowledge of it. I never even said that I agreed with Russia invading Ukraine, just that there is a long historical context that can't simply be condensed into "Putin bad". Especially that many posters on Sherdog would have cared to educate themselves in.

No concession was made. You just said "Putin bad lol" and then acted like it was some sort of victory?

They have military bases way east of Germany and closer to Russia today. US doesn't need to put bases in East Germany because they are putting them even closer to Russia. The person who said the statement said what he meant, he was not specific to East Germany but rather expanding towards Russia. It's like if Russia put missiles in Mexico and said "well, they aren't in Cuba" because an agreement was signed to take the missles out of Cuba during the missle crisis. And there are plenty of resources of Western officials stating that they signed this unification agreement under the understand that expansion would not happen towards the Soviet Union, for example:

Why would you think that Russia cares about East Germany now that their borders are no where near East Germany? It's clear from both what Russia is saying and what the West has said for a long time that they wanted security by their Russia's border. And simple logic would also tell you that, but it seems you are so content on simplifying the situation down to "Putin bad" that you will use whatever illogical reasoning is required to justify it to yourself. And again, you aren't even trying to view it from Russia's point of view, because you are actually propagandized into simply thinking they are evil. And it's easy to see, propaganda has always been used to simplify and vilify groups of people, which you are so quick to do yourself.

If Russia established military bases in Mexico or Canada today, US would undoubtedly not stand for it either. So why is it so hard to see Russia's position in this matter as well?

Is this before or after the US takes over the Baja and Cancun on the premise of protecting American expats living there?

Why is it hard to believe that Russia being aggressive towards its neighbors make those neighbors want to gravitate West.

Isn't this what started the whole "Good Neighbor Policy" policy by FDR and wasn't the Zimmerman telegram the reason why the US decided to stop fucking around with Mexico? like if you bully your neighbors don't be surprised when your neighbors become hostile.

There was no concession made there.

At this point I have to think you are just trolling. What has happened to the quality of posters on this forum? I feel like a few years ago people would actually make good-faith arguments and provide evidence for their claims. Now it seems like I am one of the few that still do, the rest of you seem to just act smug and circle-jerk each other any chance you get. I'm getting tired of wasting my time providing context, statistics, quotes, etc. just for someone to just say "lol I'm right ur wrong". I think I'm just going to stop wasting my time arguing with certain posters here because there is no point. Just ad-hominem attacks and "lol ur wrong I'm right" style posts.

There was no concession made there.

At this point I have to think you are just trolling. What has happened to the quality of posters on this forum? I feel like a few years ago people would actually make good-faith arguments and provide evidence for their claims. Now it seems like I am one of the few that still do, the rest of you seem to just act smug and circle-jerk each other any chance you get. I'm getting tired of wasting my time providing context, statistics, quotes, etc. just for someone to just say "lol I'm right ur wrong". I think I'm just going to stop wasting my time arguing with certain posters here because there is no point. Just ad-hominem attacks and "lol ur wrong I'm right" style posts.

When you completely ignore what I said, that's a concession whether you openly admit it or not.

The West's (mainly America's) open hostility and expansionist policies have played a huge role in where we are today. And it's not treacherous to say that. The real traitors are the people in our government who are going around the world overthrowing governments and pushing war at the expense of American (and other people's) lives, money and security. And most of the time people agree with that statement, but when it comes to Ukraine/Russia (and in some cases, Israel/Palestine), that logic is no longer valid.

And the horseshoe is just complete, right wingers now are spitting out commie talking points-

Imagine arguing on behalf of a mafia state run by a megalomaniac that executes his opposition
The US blows up civilians and children who aren't even opposed to them. I'd argue that's worse. Should no one be able to argue on behalf of America?

Ukraine and and failure to uphold the Minsk agreements. Did you miss that part of the interview, or are you just saying that he thinks historical context is all that matters?

"rebels" broke out the agreement, when pointed out to Russia that the "rebels" broke the agreement, Russia said "We are not a party in Minsk".

nato expansion isnt bullshit, but the denazification is basically american talking points.

If NATO expansion really worried Putin, he would not had tolerated Finland and Sweden accession to NATO.

The US blows up civilians and children who aren't even opposed to them. I'd argue that's worse. Should no one be able to argue on behalf of America?
"Virtually identical"

When you completely ignore what I said, that's a concession whether you openly admit it or not.
I literally did address what you said. You said they didn't say they would expand into East Germany. The multiple resources I've posted said they weren't specific about East Germany, they were specific about the Soviet Union. Which would make sense to anyone who thought logically or just listened to the Secretary of State at the time who said it. Why would Russia care about East Germany today, when America is even closer to it's borders in Ukraine?

Tucker can score and interview with Putin and CBS can't even get a SuperBowl softball interview with The Resident in Chief whos up for reelection....Clown World.

Is this before or after the US takes over the Baja and Cancun on the premise of protecting American expats living there?

Why is it hard to believe that Russia being aggressive towards its neighbors make those neighbors want to gravitate West.

Isn't this what started the whole "Good Neighbor Policy" policy by FDR and wasn't the Zimmerman telegram the reason why the US decided to stop fucking around with Mexico? like if you bully your neighbors don't be surprised when your neighbors become hostile.
I never said it didn't push Ukraine to the West, it clearly has. But before that aggression was centuries of context that again, cannot be summed up by "Putin bad", especially since Putin wasn't alive during those times. And again, I haven't said that I agree with Russia's invasion. But there are two sides to every story and America's expansionist policy towards Russia's borders (which was promised not to happen) has contributed greatly to Russia's feelings of hostility.

Because Tucker agreed to some terms like Putin would get to answer with all time he wanted without being cut off.

Tucker asked the question and let him answer or speak as long as he wanted.

Do you know of any major networks that could do this without cutting it down to fit a time slot. I don't think so.

It wasn't a great "hard hitting " interview. It was long and rambling for much of it. I don't think it changed about anyone's view of Putin and his actions.

Exactly. He lobbed Putin softballs and let him answer with zero pushback. That's why he was chosen and not an actual journalist.

Back