TUF Concept: Battle of Styles

Prologue

KB skills, BJJ skills, TKD skills...
@red
Reaction score
So I was reading the thread about how to reboot TUF, and saw a few people mention the battle of styles concept as a good way to reboot. Being a slow day at work, it got me thinking about how that might look.

So here's what I'm thinking. Create a 8 man heavyweight tournament getting the best of the best across 4 different styles of martial arts in their respective divisions.

BJJ - Wrestling - Boxing - Kickboxing. Here's the breakdown.

Eliminator:
BJJ artist vs BJJ artist
Wrestler vs Wrestler
Boxer vs Boxer
Kickboxer vs Kickboxer

Semi-finals:
BJJ artist vs Wrestler
Boxer vs Kickboxer

Finals:
Grappler vs Striker

Based on the above, each fighter gets paired with a well known MMA team and their MMA training and prep for their fight is documented. Ideally you'd get fighters that are natural rivals in the martial art they normally compete in.

Here's a bit of a fantasy list.

BJJ: Gordon Ryan vs Buchecha Almeida
Wrestling: Anthony Cassar vs Gable Stevenson (wasn't too sure about wrestling, so I tried a bit of research, but if anyone knows better, let me know)
Boxing: Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder (I know, well below their pay grade, but what the hell!)
Kickboxing: Rico Verhoeven vs Badr Hari

Winner gets either a title shot (the HW talent pool is so shallow, I'd be okay with this) or a HW red panty night fight with Brock Lesnar (whatever is easiest to book).

This kind of thing is the only way I could see TUF being interesting at this point, outside of a celebrity TUF, which would only be fun for freak show purposes.

Anyways, feel free to add thoughts. Or any other weight classes this could work for.

Take 16 people, throw them in a tournament, and make them fight until you have 1 winner. This is a good format.

Everything else is just being fancy.

Back