TUF Season 29 Episode 1 Watch Party 6/1 9 ET

UFC president Dana White believes that The Ultimate Fighter reality show still works, saying that “I think this show can go on forever.”

TUF 29 premiered this week with UFC featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski and rival Brian Ortega as the coaches. The show is back on the air for the first time since 2018, with the UFC taking a hiatus from filming new seasons during its last two years with ESPN. Some fans were surprised to see the show brought back considering Dana White’s Contender Series seems to have replaced it, but as far as White himself is concerned, there will always be a place for The Ultimate Fighter in the UFC schedule.

Speaking to TUF 1 contestant Mike Swick, White confirmed that the UFC plans on filming one season of The Ultimate Fighter per year, and the UFC president doesn’t see the show going away anytime soon.

“Yeah, I think we’re doing one a year. We’re just gonna keep rolling, man. I don’t ever see a time where this show doesn’t make sense. I think this show can go on forever,” White said.

As far as White is concerned, TUF still makes sense, even with Contender Series, Looking for a Fight, and all the other shows that the UFC films. There is enough talent in the sport out there that White believes the show is still worth doing to find the next upcoming superstars in MMA, even though some fans believe that the format has gotten stale. As far as White is concerned, TUF is here to stay, though he joked that the show could eventually be done for good when White himself is done as UFC president.

“It will probably end with me. When I’m done-done, the show will probably be done,” White quipped.

https://mymmanews.com/dana-white-be...ll-works-i-think-this-show-can-go-on-forever/

Yeah would have been one of the best tuf seasons period in terms of drama, at least imo. But coach conor wasn't all that good at actually coaching imo, so it would have suffered there

The fighter being the coach is overstated (and always has been), there is a team of coaches there. Conor and Khabib would have been hilarious and would have made TUF massive.

Originally TUF was as much about the drama as it was the fights. I actually think that is what cost it popularity over the time as the drama faded. I mean TUF 1 was grown up children who were all so different in a mansion with no idea about responsibility. Somehow they need to make TUF not just be a bracket on DWCS.

The fighter being the coach is overstated (and always has been), there is a team of coaches there. Conor and Khabib would have been hilarious and would have made TUF massive.

Originally TUF was as much about the drama as it was the fights. I actually think that is what cost it popularity over the time as the drama faded. I mean TUF 1 was grown up children who were all so different in a mansion with no idea about responsibility. Somehow they need to make TUF not just be a bracket on DWCS.

Make Colby and Masvidal coaches

Make Colby and Masvidal coaches

Actually I agree that could have been a better choice.

Not sure either of the choices (even though I like them both as fighters) are really good at generating drama/hype.

Yeah plus they may have done some foreshadowing by including DW telling him Gastellum was once picked last. That's when I said to myself 'Think this dude will win at least his first fight. Otherwise the editors might not have included DW saying that.'

Funny how Dana only had one example of a guy who was picked last and went on to be memorable. It was a nice, encouraging thing to say, though. Goof ain’t all bad.

Do we still have Looking for a Fight on Fight Pass?

Anyhow it's just UFC content - I prefer DWCS of the three but watched em all.

It would be cool if they brought back something in the vein of the Tapout series. Maybe the Venum company has some zany characters and they can follow them around to regional events and do spotlights on their hot prospect sponsees. Wood watch.

doesn't have the quirks or buzz of seasons from 6-10 years ago.

Dana got goosebumps. I got nothing.

There’s a nostalgia factor happening. It’s almost like they knew that the TUF noobs would start tuning in again if they just cancelled the show for a few years and brought it back. In my case, it worked.

Funny how Dana only had one example of a guy who was picked last and went on to be memorable. It was a nice, encouraging thing to say, though. Goof ain’t all bad.
He was picked second to last, last of his team but Sonnen was picking before Jones
I remember it because Jones had teh selection of the match-up and matched up the smallest guy with a big dude that kneed him in Round 1

Back