Law Two Chicago officers shot, officers turn backs on mayor.

The police are consistently among the most, if not the single most, funded part of any city government. They swallow so much funds but somehow its never enough and any civilian oversight is seen as an attack by the police unions which block any meaningful reform of the police. Consider that the Chicago city budget is ~$11 million and this is what the Chicago PD gets
chart_1_1.png

The "Defund the police" folks have whacky ideas but fuck off with this BS that PDs need more and more funding despite all the funding they already get and all the freebies they get from military surplus programs. What, do they need an Abrams tank to police the Southside now? Gimme a break.

We've tried this approach for a long time now, its time to invest in some alternative emergency response based on proven models that have been in place for decades.

You mean the black neighborhoods, we all know it. I guess we could keep using code words and refer to them as "Democrat" neighborhoods if you prefer though.

Not arguing with your point about the police not needing to be militarized or about it being a pretty big load of BS that the solution to the crime and social problems in US cities can be found in ramping up police funding, any more than it can be found in defunding... however, I also feel it's always important to point out that when we are discussing funding and budgets, police departments generally generate a lot of revenue through fines and confiscations (that's not getting into the economic spinoffs of having a police force out protecting business and property). Some departments actually generate a net profit.

That’s extremely generous. This is purely anecdotal, but school administrators can literally alter the course of your life with one decision.

If they determine that you’re special needs (ESL, SPED) — or on the flip side fail to determine that you actually need extra help — it can totally alter the trajectory of your life.

It could be the difference between ending up in jail, ending up in working a trade, or ending up in a Professional field with a Bachelors+Masters.

I’m fine with my lot... but it could’ve been a lot better. I’m a yank. But because I had anxiety issues as a kid and spent 2 years overseas in Latin America, I had problems readjusting. So I was classed as needing ESL. Despite the fact that I was born and raised in the US. Was also held back a year.

Suffice to say... I probably would be in a different socioeconomic strata had I not been held back and put on the dumb duck track.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has this type of story to tell.

like I said. School Admins can literally fuck your shit up before you’ve had a chance to get on.

And while the quality of the parents is a legit factor... it isn’t when you consider single parent households.

No child should be sentenced to a peon level life because they were born & raised by a poor working class single mom.

My point is: the quality of decision makers in schools from pre-k all the way up through 12tj grade matters.

And sadly: poorer areas tend to have less educated, experienced, and accomplished administrators (and teachers).

And these are the kids (poor, minority) that generally don’t have a parent (s) who have the luxury to be their to argue and fight on their behalf like upper middle class and rich parents do.

So poor kids (regardless of race) especially minorities, are the ones who are most likely to get fucked over

As a teacher, I started reading your post with the assumption that I was going to want to formulate a rebuttal by the time I got to the end of it. But nope. Everything you say here is very true.

Not arguing with your point about the police not needing to be militarized or about it being a pretty big load of BS that the solution to the crime and social problems in US cities can be found in ramping up police funding, any more than it can be found in defunding... however, I also feel it's always important to point out that when we are discussing funding and budgets, police departments generally generate a lot of revenue through fines and confiscations (that's not getting into the economic spinoffs of having a police force out protecting business and property). Some departments actually generate a net profit.
Right, something like this would happen with the Ferguson PD. The city would set a goal for revenue generated by fines and the PD would consistently surpass it. Strange though right? Kind of a funny coincidence that the citizens of Ferguson happened to consistently break the law enough that those goals set by the city would be surpassed...oh wait no the FPD was specifically targeting poor blacks for BS fines to generate money for the city and often unconstitutionally.

So if you're justifying these police budgets because cops suck money off citizens, in some cases with BS fines or speed traps, then to me that's more reason to defund them.

Right, something like this would happen with the Ferguson PD. The city would set a goal for revenue generated by fines and the PD would consistently surpass it. Strange though right? Kind of a funny coincidence that the citizens of Ferguson happened to consistently break the law enough that those goals set by the city would be surpassed...oh wait no the FPD was specifically targeting poor blacks for BS fines to generate money for the city and often unconstitutionally.

So if you're justifying these police budgets because cops suck money off citizens, in some cases with BS fines or speed traps, then to me that's more reason to defund them.

No, no. I wasn't justifying anything. I was just pointing it out because it's relevant to the discussion in a whole bunch of ways (most notably in the idea that you can just take money from the police budget and distribute it elsewhere; that's only going to be true if that "elsewhere" also has a method of generating revenue).

Most policing income in crooked in some way or another. Even most speeding ticket cash is generated through virtual speed traps where the speed limit is set too low and people are allowed to break it on a regular basis for most of the year with the exception of a day every month or two when police patrol the area as an obvious fundraising initiative.

But the budget outcome is the same, regardless.

Under an agreement with Cook County prosecutors, Morgan would face seven years in prison for the weapons charges — the maximum penalty for the offense — to be served concurrently with a five-year sentence for battery and a three-year sentence for obstruction of justice, the source said.

He'll be out in 3.5 if he behaves.
<{hughesimpress}>

Back