UFC 200 - DC vs JJ 2 - Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lesnar has had 5 years out great athlete or not he isnt coming back from 5 years out and beating Hunt. I will rewatch brocks ufc run tomo to make sure my memory is accurate. Hes also had 5 years wwf wear and tear fake or not its a tough sport. Hes 38 too so is he the same athlete? Hes prob had a three month camp max. He will not be mixing in strikes to disguise a takedown. His only hope is a bullrush and i dont think that shits working especially against hunts low centre of gravity. I expect a very hesitant brock he will be petrified of hunt he was a like a deer in the headlights against reem. I think he will try to come under hunts strike but hunt can be patient too he wont get over zealous as he only needs to land one punch. Rip brock.

Lesnar has had 5 years out great athlete or not he isnt coming back from 5 years out and beating Hunt. I will rewatch brocks ufc run tomo to make sure my memory is accurate. Hes also had 5 years wwf wear and tear fake or not its a tough sport. Hes 38 too so is he the same athlete? Hes prob had a three month camp max. He will not be mixing in strikes to disguise a takedown. His only hope is a bullrush and i dont think that shits working especially against hunts low centre of gravity. I expect a very hesitant brock he will be petrified of hunt he was a like a deer in the headlights against reem. I think he will try to come under hunts strike but hunt can be patient too he wont get over zealous as he only needs to land one punch. Rip brock.
I'll sig bet you that Brock scores a takedown in the fight

I've never felt Brock was that driven to become a good mma fighter. He's always been this grumpy mofo who looks like he doesn't enjoy what he's doing. On top of that there used to be these weird stories circulating about his personal training camp. I think Pat Barry mentioned something about not being allowed to hit Brock during sparring, and him just basically being pandered to.

I just never seen Brock show any genuine interest in mma. And despite getting some pretty impressive wins when he was still so green, he still has a very rough overall mma skill set, and that was 5 years ago. And I highly, highly doubt Brock's been polishing up his game since his retirement.

His line has to be way better to consider betting him imo.

Hunt, despite being a lazy slob with his dieting, at least has a fighter's mentality, has been active and beating solid competition and showing improvement in the last years.

I'll sig bet you that Brock scores a takedown in the fight

Hmm. I think Brock absolutely will bullrush Hunt right away to try to take him down but not sure if he hits one. Hunt is gonna know that's Brock's only shot. Hunt does have that low center of gravity and much improved TDD. He can definitely be taken down, but can he by a guy who's not even gonna try to set the TD up? Even Brock with his size and power? Not sure.

And the way Brock reacts to getting hit, a glancing shot as he rushes in could bring Brock the Turtle out. Mir said he's never been hit as hard as he was by Hunt. I don't think Hunto needs to land clean to hurt Brock or at least put him into defensive shell mode.

That said, it's only ONE takedown. I think it's a fair sig bet imo if Sham takes it. 50/50 to me if Brock scores one.

Hmm. I think Brock absolutely will bullrush Hunt right away to try to take him down but not sure if he hits one. Hunt is gonna know that's Brock's only shot. Hunt does have that low center of gravity and much improved TDD. He can definitely be taken down, but can he by a guy who's not even gonna try to set the TD up? Even Brock with his size and power? Not sure.

And the way Brock reacts to getting hit, a glancing shot as he rushes in could bring Brock the Turtle out. Mir said he's never been hit as hard as he was by Hunt. I don't think Hunto needs to land clean to hurt Brock or at least put him into defensive shell mode.

That said, it's only ONE takedown. I think it's a fair sig bet imo if Sham takes it. 50/50 to me if Brock scores one.
Knowing a takedown is coming is different than actually stopping one. I'm sure Cain thought the same thing but Lesnar still got him down (albeit for a very short time). Cain's wrestling >>>>>> Hunt's. And when was the last time Hunt fought someone w semi decent wrestling? (Don't say BF). Brock's gonna have a pretty significant reach advantage in this fight. Hunt is gonna have to overextend to land on Lesnar and its gonna make him off balance to defend the takedown. I don't think Lesnar should be the fav in this fight but I do think people maxing out on Hunt are playing w fire

Knowing a takedown is coming is different than actually stopping one. I'm sure Cain thought the same thing but Lesnar still got him down (albeit for a very short time). Cain's wrestling >>>>>> Hunt's. And when was the last time Hunt fought someone w semi decent wrestling? (Don't say BF). Brock's gonna have a pretty significant reach advantage in this fight. Hunt is gonna have to overextend to land on Lesnar and its gonna make him off balance to defend the takedown. I don't think Lesnar should be the fav in this fight but I do think people maxing out on Hunt are playing w fire

Those fights were so long ago though with Brock. Pro wrestling does beat the hell out of your body. And Hunt is such an accurate and powerful puncher and Brock has shown such horrible reactions to being hit. Man, I think this thing ends quickly and poorly for Brock.

Lesnar wasnt nearly as worried about cains hands as he will be hunts tho. That will make him hesitant. Hunt doesnt need to over extend he will be patient and catch lesnar trying to close distance for a takedown.

Those fights were so long ago though with Brock. Pro wrestling does beat the hell out of your body. And Hunt is such an accurate and powerful puncher and Brock has shown such horrible reactions to being hit. Man, I think this thing ends quickly and poorly for Brock.
i don't really think the WWE stint is as bad on his body as training for MMA would be, damage wise. Especially considering he could juice to the gills without having any sort of consequences

i don't really think the WWE stint is as bad on his body as training for MMA would be, damage wise. Especially considering he could juice to the gills without having any sort of consequences

Good point. Although probably a trade off in that training for MMA is a 6-8 week camp sleeping in your own bed and taking it easy for a day or two when you get little nagging injuries. While WWE is constant travel on planes and buses and no taking it easy since there's shows almost every night (I think anyway).

The thing about Brock is, he's only overcome adversity once in a fight. And that was based solely on the fact that Carwin completely punched himself out and gassed as bad as maybe anyone I've ever seen gas in a fight. Lesnar laid there taking the beating until the round ended and Carwin was completely exhausted. He gets clipped and doesn't fire back, he just turtles up and waits for more punches to come.

Maybe he shows something different this fight, but until I see it I'm gonna assume that if a guy like Hunt lands even somewhat flush, Brock will look for a way out and not to throw back (assuming he's conscious). And I can't imagine Hunt not landing at all.

And when was the last time Hunt fought someone w semi decent wrestling?

His last loss, Miocic, who destroyed hunt on the ground. Scored 10-7 and 10-8 rounds from grappling (according to SD pbp) before the finish too.

Iirc they came from single legs mostly, need to rewatch.

cecilpeoples1.gif

Gotta love when referees try and steal the spotlight.
Cecil Peoples...

11676.jpg

His last loss, Miocic, who destroyed hunt on the ground. Scored 10-7 and 10-8 rounds from grappling (according to SD pbp) before the finish too.

Iirc they came from single legs mostly, need to rewatch.
Exactly, he got murdered last time he fought someone w a legit background in wrestling

Exactly, he got murdered last time he fought someone w a legit background in wrestling

True, but again Stipe mixes his striking and takedowns very well. In watching MMA now, it seems more and more rare that telegraphed takedowns not set up by strikes actually are completed. Guys just seem to train sprawling better or something.

I honestly can't remember for sure, but I don't think Stipe scored any takedowns until he'd established his striking and had Hunt off balance. Maybe Lesnar is just big and strong enough to make it work anyway...

He took him down briefly 12 seconds into the fight (took him down in the opening seconds of the 4th and 5th too), then did the same takedown 3 minutes in. The takedowns look almost effortless from Miocic.

The thing is, that is a takedown that Lesnar doesn't use very often (I haven't watched tape on him in 5 years, anyone know about this?) a high single leg. Can Brock hit that? Miocic's team obv saw how badly Hunt sticks his left leg out as he moves around the ring. Every single takedown Miocic hit came from targeting that leg.

again just to clarify, i dont think Lesnar should be the favorite here or anything and his price will have to rise a bit before i bet on him. i just think its insanity to go YOLO on Hunt expecting him to completely outclass Lesnar bc I have no reason to think Hunt can prevent being taken down

More so, just going back to the take down discussion: hunt doesnt seem to have great dexterity in his legs. as AffectEffect eluded to, if Lesnar grabs hold of a leg, Hunt's probably going down. Will Lesnar eat a shot or two in the process? Sure, id be shocked if he didnt. But Lesnar's never shown to have a glass jaw nor will he give up the takedown attempt. Conversely, i think if Lesnar were to get hurt by a punch during the takedown attempt, itd make him more desperate to complete it

Hunt was in terrible shape against Miocic he had to a cut a ridiculous amount of weight in the last 24 hours. I'm going to review Brock today to see how he gets his takedowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back