UFC 203 - Stipe vs Overeem - Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't lie, the cynic inside of me wants Punk to win, even with 30 whatever dollars on Gall by KO. I'm just in the same boat as iGnP, its crazy to me how many of you guys are looking at a few very low level Gall fights and Punk training footage from a year ago and unloading on Gall loll

Plus, Punk was the man in WWE :D

Well, in training myself I can recognize very high level grappling if nothing else. For the year or 15 months or whatever that Punk has been training you simply cannot get to that level of grappling (or even close) that Gall is displaying. There are a VERY few exceptions (Weidman--though of course he had a decorated amateur wrestling career, BJ Penn, maybe a couple others). Punk is training hard, with real fighters, and I know even at his age he's a pretty athletic guy. I just don't know how he (again, after the limited time he's had training) hangs in there grappling-wise with a guy that I can see with my own eyes is an extremely high level grappler.

Plus, Gall itd is only -240, it's not like it's -400. Gall rd 1 is -140. If I'm right and the grappling disparity is as wide as I think it is, -140 is actually a steal. I doubt Gall wastes much time standing, I'd think he'll immediately close distance and find a way to get it to the mat. And from there it's a wrap.

Or...maybe I'm wrong LOL. In which case we have a very intriguing story with Punk actually being able to fight.

Well, in training myself I can recognize very high level grappling if nothing else. For the year or 15 months or whatever that Punk has been training you simply cannot get to that level of grappling (or even close) that Gall is displaying. There are a VERY few exceptions (Weidman--though of course he had a decorated amateur wrestling career, BJ Penn, maybe a couple others). Punk is training hard, with real fighters, and I know even at his age he's a pretty athletic guy. I just don't know how he (again, after the limited time he's had training) hangs in there grappling-wise with a guy that I can see with my own eyes is an extremely high level grappler.

Plus, Gall itd is only -240, it's not like it's -400. Gall rd 1 is -140. If I'm right and the grappling disparity is as wide as I think it is, -140 is actually a steal. I doubt Gall wastes much time standing, I'd think he'll immediately close distance and find a way to get it to the mat. And from there it's a wrap.

Or...maybe I'm wrong LOL. In which case we have a very intriguing story with Punk actually being able to fight.
Punk trained jiu jitsu for awhile before going full time. According to Cole Miller, his jits is very good.

-240 is a steep ass price for a prop between two low level guys, one who no one has ever even seen fight lol

Punk trained jiu jitsu for awhile before going full time. According to Cole Miller, his jits is very good.

-240 is a steep ass price for a prop between two low level guys, one who no one has ever even seen fight lol

Was Cole a training partner too? Hey, maybe he's that good and I'm way off. Did he ever compete in any grappling competitions? Gall is literally going up against (and hanging with) some of the best grapplers in the WORLD. You and I both know there's a huge difference between "Hey that guy is pretty solid at our gym" and "Holy sh*t that guy just gave Gordon Ryan all he wanted in an actual competition".

Was Cole a training partner too? Hey, maybe he's that good and I'm way off. Did he ever compete in any grappling competitions? Gall is literally going up against (and hanging with) some of the best grapplers in the WORLD. You and I both know there's a huge difference between "Hey that guy is pretty solid at our gym" and "Holy sh*t that guy just gave Gordon Ryan all he wanted in an actual competition".
I'm gonna guess Cole has rolled with him before, dk why else he'd say that lol

We also both know high level jits doesn't always translate in a fight. How much better at pure grappling do you reckon Dern was than the girl she just beat who defended all subs? Granted she still schooled her, but she is literally the best female jits player in the world

As of right now, I think the u1.5 is the play for the Gall fight. Who the F knows, tho...

If the fight makes it past round 1, there could be sick LB opportunities

Not saying Gall is gonna lose but reading through these posts reminds me of the discussion of the Hunt vs Lesnar fight. Personally im not touching this fight w a ten foot pole

Another thing to consider is line movement. It might be just best to wait until closer to the event. Major casual $ could possibly come in on Punk pushing Gall into -100 territory, etc

Researching cb barroso. Holy cow watched stringer and jimmo fights so far barroso literally tries to clinch you to victory. I dont think he deserved dec over stringer and he literally hugged jimmo for three rounds should have been a draw. With that strategy he will really struggle against cb. He has horrible cardio too. Jeez this is painful watching

Researching cb barroso. Holy cow watched stringer and jimmo fights so far barroso literally tries to clinch you to victory. I dont think he deserved dec over stringer and he literally hugged jimmo for three rounds should have been a draw. With that strategy he will really struggle against cb. He has horrible cardio too. Jeez this is painful watching
Lets just hope CB's shit performance vs Nate makes him playable

Hope you're right. I thought Bethe was as bummy as PVZ until last fight, was actually fairly impressed with her improvements in the Raquel fight.

I'm 0-3 betting Eye fights, so this should be a pass for me, but i'll take Bethe all day if I can get plus money
My thoughts exactly. I thought Bethe was still just an accountant but she honestly could have got the decision in the Raquel fight. She proved herself. Also, Eye fucking sucks.

I don't see the point in betting on the main event unless it's over 1.5 rounds

Seriously think I'm gonna bet on Gall, I will be annoyed if he just starches Chick Magnet like he did with Jackson (who at least had some kickboxing fights)
and I didn't bet on it

My thoughts exactly. I thought Bethe was still just an accountant but she honestly could have got the decision in the Raquel fight. She proved herself. Also, Eye fucking sucks.
Eye's not THAT bad, just pretty bad, but her fight IQ is some of the worst of all time.

I'm just worried that stylistically this is a fight she can definitely win, and i'll go 0-4 betting Eye fights cause she'll finally pull one out.

Eye's not THAT bad, just pretty bad, but her fight IQ is some of the worst of all time.

I'm just worried that stylistically this is a fight she can definitely win, and i'll go 0-4 betting Eye fights cause she'll finally pull one out.

Let's be honest it's going to be 3 rounds of sloppy striking and a split. I'll take the dog

Let's be honest it's going to be 3 rounds of sloppy striking and a split. I'll take the dog
Yeah I wanna hit the over more than anything. If you're taking the dog prepare to bet Eye. Gotta disagree with lefontes. As much as I want him to be right, gotta believe Eye will be the one coming at plus money

Short notice:
- Travis Browne (in for Ben Rothwell) vs. Fabrício Werdum [3 weeks]
- Michael McBride (in for Mairbek Taisumov) vs. Nik Lentz [0 days]
- Jason Gonzalez (in for Erik Koch) vs. Drew Dober [3 weeks]

I'm actually gonna shut up and delete a couple posts. I expect lines anytime today if not tomorrow.

I doubt anything I say has an impact on line openers, but whatever lol. I'll just repost when the lines come out

Man taisumov + koch would have been hammered by me. Both now out ffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back