1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

UFC 206 - Pettis vs Holloway - Toronto

Discussion in 'MMA Betting Discussion' started by EzFlyer, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Card Silver Belt

Val looks horrible.

2. Agent Mulder Black Belt

Confidence increase Mein.

3. LEMONZEST Planning parlays...

Damn. Weight cutting is a stupid phenomenon and it needs to be looked at. These fighters are pushing their bodies to the limits of survival.... There must be a way to enforce people fighting at a more natural weight...it really isn't rocket science.

Pettis is already kind of down on himself and in a weakened psychologically state. I think missing weight is a red flag for him more than just being physically depleted. If he starts doubting himself now becuase of this it could be the begining of the end.... I think Pettis at full strength and in a good state of mind is a coin toss against Max.

4. EzFlyer Titanium Belt

[/QUOTE]

how did you embeded that?

5. Sham5916910 Silver Belt

Pettis had those arson attacks to deal with too.

6. EzFlyer Titanium Belt

hate all you want, but i think all fighters should have to have their hair and beard short. it affects the fight too much. men and women.

7. Sham5916910 Silver Belt

Surely tho whether he made weight or not if you're depleting yourself so much you dont have an ounce of water left to sweat that is going to severely affect your performance 36 hrs later. The human body just cant recover from that trauma in such a short space of time.

8. PuertoRican Gold Belt

9. EzFlyer Titanium Belt

don't think i saw it posted

10. Bork Lazer Purple Belt

Oh yeah. Acute weight loss via dehydration, no matter how many experts you have helping you, is one of the most damaging ways to lose weight. I am really surprised we haven't seen more deaths via weight cutting, actually.

MMA is still a relatively new sport. I feel like the guys that are cutting this much weight will see a lot of long term kidney issues as they age.

11. Rebel_LioN Silver Belt

I can attest to that I think I fucked up my kidneys a bit cutting to the point I had no spit left for wrestling. I couldn't even fully eat a starburst candy.

12. mkess101 Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs

Yep. My wife has a friend that lives a couple blocks from Pettis. She said it was pretty insane.

13. LEMONZEST Planning parlays...

The UFC even from just a liability point of view really needs to address weight cutting. If someone dies on their roster it will be a pretty big bump in the road for them.

It could also be argued that it will make for better fights as people will be stronger and feel better. There may be less people gassing after rounds 1 and 2.

14. Bork Lazer Purple Belt

Yep. It's one of those things, when we look back on it in 20 years, we will think "I can't believe people used to do THAT to them selves to just have a strength/size advantage". It's such an archaic way to lose weight, even with science and nutritionists.

All it will take is one death and it will completely change the public perception of the sport in a negative way.

15. molest Purple Belt

Shit how do i hedge my val bets?
    I still cant see her losing to Pereira, Pereira is just not UFC caliber she pretty much only beats girls her size and if she wins is gonna be the ugliest fight of all year, because thats how she wins with boring regional circuit clinching and ugly hooks.

I guess i can see her having some sort of brawl with Val and somehow overpowering her to a close decision, but thats really the only way, if the weight cut vanished her ability to have any sort of range management and she just brawls she will lose.

16. houjebek Purple Belt

Belgium, the land of Vandamme, beer & RED DEVILS
    just bet 50 euros on Cerrone on 1.33

17. EzFlyer Titanium Belt

no one really knows what to expect here

at least i don't. one of the few fights i have zero bets.

18. Pettis is a rather small LW.

He started this cut at 153, and stated that his body just gave out. Who knows how much merit there is to that, but I'm inclined to believe him.

If it was someone like Gastelum saying that, I wouldn't believe them. But this is the first time Pettis has ever missed weight.

I'm still on Pettis. I anticipated the line shift more towards Max so I didn't place any bets yet. I'm glad I waited, because Pettis is @ +205 right now, he'll probably be close to +220 tomorrow, which is ridiculous.

Max is rightfully the favorite, but Pettis @ 2.2:1 odds...shiiiiit.

19. EzFlyer Titanium Belt

20. quincy k Brown Belt

i think there is a very good chane that pettis missing weight is better for those that were going to bet anthony.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.