UFC 214 PBP/Discussion

big rd 3 for shelton

29-28 shelton, this is a pretty clearcut fight to score

2-1 shelton

I think he had that choke

shelton clear r3 comes down to how they score r2

weird brooks barely tried to use his wrestling in r2 and r3

Should be 2-1 Shelton even though Brooks rocked him in Rd 2.

Hahahahaha I bet on Brooks but that's a bad score.

That's ridiculous

how dare he is raising his hands, he did absolutely nothing for two rounds, just hopping around like rumpelstiltskin

A lot of Brooks' fights take place in the clinch where he looks for takedowns and high impact slams and even suplexes. He is good at securing takedowns from the clinch but can be reckless at times, Hamilton managed to reverse a good few times and even managed to take his back. A lot of the reversals came from the tripod position, spinning out and creating scrambles. His stand up is pretty basic, mostly consisting of a 1-2 inside leg kick or starting with an inside leg kick and then throwing the overhand right; Dan Henderson style (inside leg kick to send up the strong overhand). He doesn't fight well when being forced backwards, looks for a reactive takedown.

Shelton has dealt with skilled pressure grappling before, from good grapplers. He is very good at hand fighting from the clinch, remains composed from the clinch against the cage and when his opponent has a hook in or has full back control. I like that he is constantly trying to improve position and escape, hand fighting, throwing punches and elbows and looking to hit the switch. I actually think his grappling defence is strong enough to find his way back to his feet when he gets taken down but on the feet I'm not sure he can do enough to make it count. He works the body pretty well, has a nice straight right to the body and throws the push kick up the middle to the stomach. One thing I have noticed is when he tries to throw combinations he leaves himself wide open, typically throwing a 1-2-3, after the cross his chin is right up in the air and guard down.

Factoring in everything I think Brooks manages to secure takedowns, maintain some control, Shelton eventually works his way back up...... few exchanges on the feet, rinse and repeat for Brooks to secure a DEC.

@1.63 I'll put some down on his ML and probably hit Brooks DEC too when it comes out.

Played out similar to what I thought with a few variances, one being Brooks slowing....., very close and scrappy affair but that was expected. Brooks definitely suffered from an adrenaline dump but a win is a win, credit to Shelton he fought well just not enough urgency to steal it in my opinion. Both guys will have improved from that fight.

Brooks ML and Brooks DEC both land.

**Waits to be flamed by everyone on Shelton**

Back