UFC 216 PBP/Discussion

Barry actually has been quite good with the pics lately. A big change from the cooler days.

He's been better than back then, no question. But that's just his picks. If you actually follow his BETS, it looks much worse. He recommended a TEN UNIT play on Lee Saturday. I think it was at least that he recommended on Rockhold vs Bisping (at crazy steep juice). It's not that he hasn't picked some winners, it's that he seemingly is balls deep on his losers. I've seen your bet slips, you're probably the guy here that makes the biggest plays. Following Barry would you betting what, 30k on Kevin Lee LOL? 60k on Rockhold vs Bisping? I mean...jeez. My household income is around $250k (I make good $, my wife actually makes better $) and that's in suburban Wisconsin, not Manhattan or San Francisco. In other words, we live very comfortably. But the amounts you bet would absolutely matter to me, a LOT. And following a tout that charges $ for picks (which Barry evidently does unless he really is the uber Troll--which is possible of course) and who dents a BR like yours 10% on Kevin Lee? Umm...yeah. Screw that.

@SBJJ @kushn4pushin @piglord i work for TSA touching old peoples balls all day and i only make 45k a year and i couldnt be any happier. I think its all perspective. I certainly would like a job making more money but only from a security standpoint other than that im good. I live a really modest lifestyle

There was a study that figured making anymore than 70Gs a year has next to no effect on an individual's happiness.

It makes sense, but from my life experience it's probably more like 50Gs for men and 90Gs for women.

i legit made £10,000 last year, i'll probably make £15,000 or so this year and i have a masters degree.

i'm a freelance copywriter. i hate copywriting but not as much as i hate humanity. it's the only job i can do with zero human contact and during night hours like count dracula, all communications via email.

i'm pouring all extra time and cash into trying to get an online business to pop. i think passive income is the one true key to happiness in life so if i have to go through years of suicidal misery to get there, i'll do it. i can't do anything else.

as robbie lawler once said, "i'm a rough guy". hierarchical relationships and feigning deference to some obese corporate loser who i could handedly defeat in unarmed combat, no thanks.

Even though I live a completely different lifestyle, make way more $ in exchange for putting up with some of the crap that goes along with a corporate job, but am still generally happy I gotta say: I love your post. You know who you are, what you'll tolerate and what you won't, and it sounds like you live life on your own terms. So many people most likely feel like you do but don't have the balls to live that way. If you can survive, pay your rent and eat, and are happier than you'd be stuck in a corporate office, good for you man.

I'm also guessing you don't have kids. Kind of a different ballgame when you are supporting a family obviously.

I was happiest working in a warehouse and listening to audiobooks and podcasts all shift while making less than 40Gs a year.

@SBJJ @kushn4pushin @piglord i work for TSA touching old peoples balls all day and i only make 45k a year and i couldnt be any happier. I think its all perspective. I certainly would like a job making more money but only from a security standpoint other than that im good. I live a really modest lifestyle

I was much happier working with the public than I was working in my cubicle. Working in my cubicle felt like I was sitting in a jail cell.

I was happiest working in a warehouse and listening to audiobooks and podcasts all shift while making less than 40Gs a year.
That sounds like heaven to me lol

i legit made £10,000 last year, i'll probably make £15,000 or so this year and i have a masters degree.

i'm a freelance copywriter. i hate copywriting but not as much as i hate humanity. it's the only job i can do with zero human contact and during night hours like count dracula, all communications via email.

i'm pouring all extra time and cash into trying to get an online business to pop. i think passive income is the one true key to happiness in life so if i have to go through years of suicidal misery to get there, i'll do it. i can't do anything else.

as robbie lawler once said, "i'm a rough guy". hierarchical relationships and feigning deference to some obese corporate loser who i could handedly defeat in unarmed combat, no thanks.
Good luck on your online buisonss bro im sure you will do fine

I was much happier working with the public than I was working in my cubicle. Working in my cubicle felt like I was sitting in a jail cell.
I could see that

Also i have a buddy who makes good money over 100-200k a year and hes not any happier than when he was making 60k in fact hes more stressed i notice the more you make the more you spend. To where he has as much exposable income as me making 45k a year its just he has nicer toys than me. But in a lot of ways were as broke as eachother. Crazy

I helped someone the last 1.5 years with a business. She's made between 20k-30k a month but is as unhappy as I have ever seen her. I've told her to just sell 1 business(of her 2) or partner with someone in both.

The only light is that she can get into a nice home in So Cal now. But the toll the business has taken on her is astronomical

I helped someone the last 1.5 years with a business. She's made between 20k-30k a month but is as unhappy as I have ever seen her. I've told her to just sell 1 business(of her 2) or partner with someone in both.

The only light is that she can get into a nice home in So Cal now. But the toll the business has taken on her is astronomical
Damn! Wanna help me with a buisness ;)

fuck, surely you can delegate and automate as much as possible to take the strain off her? or is it a business where she herself is the brand?

Nice post and I can definitely relate.

One of the issues that comes up is: what happens when people pass judgment on you? Not sure about your social circle but where I come from, it's not exactly acceptable to tell people that you're trying to cut it as a professional gambler. Some people expect you to join the 9-5 grind and will think you're a loser if you don't. Even @Oblivian has expressed a weaker version of this view here and he's an actual gambler.

If you DGAF, ok, but what if you want to marry some girl and her father thinks you're a deadbeat? Even if you are killing it as a gambler, do you expect to appease him by logging him into the account of a shady online bookie and showing him your bankroll?

I've lived in Asia for a while. In China, a typical guy in this situation would just lie to everyone and create an elaborate story to claim he's the employee of some company in a far away city or perhaps holds a classified government position. But this kind of brazen lying might challenge your ethics.

At the end of the day, life is a lot easier if you take the beaten path. But it could also be a lot more boring.

Nice. What do you do now?

I've been running my own company for 20 years. It's become increasingly and uncomfortably niche/marginal because of the internet competition and I've had some bumpy years, but I got it stabilized for now. I've been feeling like an out of fashion one trick pony for few years, but as I have lots of free time these days and still enough income to take risks if something interesting pops up, so I'm trying to pick up mma betting. I'm not sure if it's an actual possible source on income in case shit hits the fan or more of an escapist fantasy for me. Betting takes a ton of dicipline at least for a beginner. Way more than running my company these days. So good luck with your online business.

Last edited:
Nice post and I can definitely relate.

One of the issues that comes up is: what happens when people pass judgment on you? Not sure about your social circle but where I come from, it's not exactly acceptable to tell people that you're trying to cut it as a professional gambler. Some people expect you to join the 9-5 grind and will think you're a loser if you don't. Even @Oblivian has expressed a weaker version of this view here and he's an actual gambler.

If you DGAF, ok, but what if you want to marry some girl and her father thinks you're a deadbeat? Even if you are killing it as a gambler, do you expect to appease him by logging him into the account of a shady online bookie and showing him your bankroll?

I've lived in Asia for a while. In China, a typical guy in this situation would just lie to everyone and create an elaborate story to claim he's the employee of some company in a far away city or perhaps holds a classified government position. But this kind of brazen lying might challenge your ethics.

At the end of the day, life is a lot easier if you take the beaten path. But it could also be a lot more boring.

I certainly do not think making a living from gambling, specifically online and mostly on MMA, should be glorified. Most aren't going to make it. Many that are will be grinding and stressed as hell. You deal with a lot of uncertainties and frustrations in regards to things like late cancelled fights, bad decisions, early stoppages, etc. On top of that, you are dealing with limits in books, shady books, payout issues, potential tax/legality issues, etc. Unless you are doing this in somewhere like Vegas, I don't think most rational people will look at "professional gambler" as a great profession. Not to mention the shelf life of it.

I've been running my own company for 20 years. It's become increasingly and uncomfortably niche/marginal because of the internet competition and I've had some bumpy years, but I got it stabilized for now. I've been feeling like an out of fashion one trick pony for few years, but as I have lots of free time these days and still enough income to take risks if something interesting pops up, so I'm trying to pick up mma betting. I'm not sure if it's an actual possible source on income in case shit hits the fan or more of an escapist fantasy for me. Betting takes a ton of dicipline at least for a beginner. Way more than running my company these days. So good luck with your online business.

I'm a trader by day, and I find it difficult not to bet on Ronda Rousey to enter the Royal rumble on a mobility scooter @ +5500. But I'm not black out drunk at my day job, most the time anyway.

I know loads of guys who gamble professionally, mostly poker, but some trading on UK betting exchanges (which I do too, but a lot lower volume). They make a lot of money, but they are pretty much always working, and every holiday with them is based around poker tournaments. You can see it wears on them, so I don't envy them at all.

This forum is probably the best I've seen for betting, you get good input and a lot of guys do some great research which I simply think one person could not do themselves. You have to sift through the occasional #superelite argument, and Barry (best just to block him), but this forum has done nothing but good things to my BR.

As you most know I am keen to go full time. But i won't do this until i can pay my mortgage off. That means I could survive off ( and support a family) on £15k a year (i have an investment property that at the mo makes me £5k per year so i'd need to earn 10k per year from betting). Obviously that's a barren existence with no holidays, etc, but that amount is all i need to know we'd at least be able to eat and pay the bills. I have over half the money I need to pay my mortgage off - so the dream is alive. There's no way i would do this with a mortgage to pay with a family to support that would be way too stressful.

The frustrations like Oblivian said are real. For instance i had doubled Walt with Ferg on Sat night and his fight got cancelled three hours before the event. The stress during the fights you have bet on is crazy too. But I look at it like its max 30 minutes a week of stress. I think the rewards outweigh the stress in that sense.

Im in a sales job always have been and i am fed up of it completely. Much like Piglord i'd be more than happy making a living with little to no human contact and gambling gives me that opportunity. I am incredibly disciplined and if i lose i lose there is never any chasing. I will just walk away and move on to the next event. I am experiencing my first real tough spell (i am 17k down on where i was at the end of July but Im still up £37k for the year). But i know what mistakes I made and variance is something you have to accept if this is your game. Luckily for us in the UK we can get around restrictions and we also pay no tax. If i win £65k in a year gambling that is equivalent to someone who is employed earning £100k per year who is paying full taxes.

I certainly do not think making a living from gambling, specifically online and mostly on MMA, should be glorified. Most aren't going to make it. Many that are will be grinding and stressed as hell. You deal with a lot of uncertainties and frustrations in regards to things like late cancelled fights, bad decisions, early stoppages, etc. On top of that, you are dealing with limits in books, shady books, payout issues, potential tax/legality issues, etc. Unless you are doing this in somewhere like Vegas, I don't think most rational people will look at "professional gambler" as a great profession. Not to mention the shelf life of it.

While I agree with this post, I also don't see a lot of people glorifying it. I was talking about the opposite issue, where a successful gambler would be afraid to admit what he does.

What do you mean by the "shelf life of it"?

Back