UFC 225 - Whittaker vs Romero 2 - Chicago

No matter what side you're on, it might be obligatory to put something on Romero round 3 lol.

I kinda sorta think Holm's odds are really good here but betting her at juiced odds seems so square. Curious to think what others think. Megan Anderson doesn't impress me at allll

I'll also make the argument that Romero's price is pretty good. I was on Whittaker in the first fight, too. Practically everyone scored the first fight 48-47 Whittaker. Now we're getting +180 on Romero against Whittaker who's been on the shelf due to a very serious staph/chickenpox incident.

Really interested in seeing the line for a certain wrestler that's known to dry hump his way to wins but made some good strides after joining TAM camp.

No line has been released for this fight yet.

I'll also make the argument that Romero's price is pretty good. I was on Whittaker in the first fight, too. Practically everyone scored the first fight 48-47 Whittaker. Now we're getting +180 on Romero against Whittaker who's been on the shelf due to a very serious staph/chickenpox incident.

Fair point, but the fact that Whitaker so completely controlled the second half of that fight even while limping around on that injured leg says a lot. Yoel didn't "gas" necessarily, but he did slow down. And with his physique, I just don't think he has more than 12-13 minutes of cardio before he noticeably tires. Whitaker doesn't have that issue. I'm not entirely sure how to take that info and use it for betting purposes yet though. Maybe if you want to bet Robert just wait until after rds 1 and 2 for better odds? I haven't decided how to play it yet.

Megan will have a bit of size but that's about it right? Holly has faster feet and a deeper arsenal (not by much but still), experience, etc. Still don't know why Megan had to take the layoff for. Pass for now.

Yoel is awesome at changing around his timing. Hurt Bobby knuckles with his first kick and that flying knee he almost landed but converted to a takedown was amazing. At current odds I think I'll be on Yoel pre fight and be looking to live bet the reaper.

Yoel is awesome at changing around his timing. Hurt Bobby knuckles with his first kick and that flying knee he almost landed but converted to a takedown was amazing. At current odds I think I'll be on Yoel pre fight and be looking to live bet the reaper.
I probably will do the same and think its the best way to play the fight at current odds

I probably will do the same and think its the best way to play the fight at current odds
Line moved a little just now. It's been trending down though, I think I'll wait and see where it goes over the next week.

I was listening to an interview with Jon Danaher (the BJJ teacher at Renzo Gracie's in NYC) a few months back and he spoke about Yoel Romero and said something really interesting interesting. He used that example you mentioned

He said something along the lines that Yoel Romero is the best in MMA at changing speeds in the spur of the moment and it catches a lot of fighters off guard and you can't really prepare for it. He also said he is shocked a guy at 40 years old could do that, he said it is hard enough for a young guy to change speeds and make adjustments so quickly let alone a 40 year old guy. A real freak of nature.

I was listening to an interview with Jon Danaher (the BJJ teacher at Renzo Gracie's in NYC) a few months back and he spoke about Yoel Romero and said something really interesting interesting. He used that example you mentioned

He said something along the lines that Yoel Romero is the best in MMA at changing speeds in the spur of the moment and it catches a lot of fighters off guard and you can't really prepare for it. He also said he is shocked a guy at 40 years old could do that, he said it is hard enough for a young guy to change speeds and make adjustments so quickly let alone a 40 year old guy. A real freak of nature.
very easily could be the best pure athlete mma has ever seen

I agree, we will probably see more freak athletes in mma in the future but currently the 2nd closest to Romero is Jon Jones?

I don't think imo Jon Jones is even that close to what Romero can do and his age blows my mind. As guys get older, speed and reflexes usually go first and power last. Romero is defying that.

Ever listen to that JRE episode with Yoel? Dude's been doing athletics his whole life. Hand picked as a child in cuba to compete in sports. They saw raw physical talent in him.

I think if we are talking purely fast twitch he is. When you start to factor in cardio I think he he's still in the mix, but falls back to the field because of the guys who can sustain what they do over 25 minutes easily.

I think if we are talking purely fast twitch he is. When you start to factor in cardio I think he he's still in the mix, but falls back to the field because of the guys who can sustain what they do over 25 minutes easily.
like?

Someone like Jones, Mighty Mouse, GSP (in his prime). The thing is, it gets REALLY subjective because there's no definitive universally accepted parameters for what determines an "athlete". We think speed, power, etc. but then you have coordination, stamina, reflexes etc. etc. etc. Do we include all of these? How much is each weighted?

Is a Kenyan marathon Gold medal winner a better athlete than a Gold medal winning sprinter?

For the purposes of MMA only, stamina seems to be a HUGE component of success right? So when determining who the best "athlete" is (in regards to athletic components vital to MMA) I'd argue it needs heavy weighting. On the flipside, how important is overall coordination? Jon Jones looked like a moron trying to dunk a basketball. But that obviously never hindered him in MMA. He physically overwhelmed almost everyone he ever fought.

I think there's a lot of subjectivity involved TBH. If you ask me to flat out name the best overall athlete ever in MMA, I don't know if I could.

Someone like Jones, Mighty Mouse, GSP (in his prime). The thing is, it gets REALLY subjective because there's no definitive universally accepted parameters for what determines an "athlete". We think speed, power, etc. but then you have coordination, stamina, reflexes etc. etc. etc. Do we include all of these? How much is each weighted?

Is a Kenyan marathon Gold medal winner a better athlete than a Gold medal winning sprinter?

For the purposes of MMA only, stamina seems to be a HUGE component of success right? So when determining who the best "athlete" is (in regards to athletic components vital to MMA) I'd argue it needs heavy weighting. On the flipside, how important is overall coordination? Jon Jones looked like a moron trying to dunk a basketball. But that obviously never hindered him in MMA. He physically overwhelmed almost everyone he ever fought.

I think there's a lot of subjectivity involved TBH. If you ask me to flat out name the best overall athlete ever in MMA, I don't know if I could.
well we're talking about MMA, i dont think anyone wants to have the same athletic gifts as a kenyan marathon runner lol

I have a feeling Colby/RDA is a fight where a lot of us are gonna be in different camps. Gonna be on Colby personally. Angry at myself for missing the opener. He'll be outgunned on the feet imo but I think he can get it to the mat and keep it there.

Back