UFC 236 PBP/Discussion

Excited to get away from the big PPVs for a while again. Seems the books have them figured out and the many side cards hold so much more value. I forced so much this card and really paid dearly for it.

Can anyone tell me if there's ever a press conference for smaller events (like this one)? If so, is there one tonight?
Thanks

Imo
R1: 10-8 Dustin
R2: 10-9 Dustin
R3: 10-9 Max
R4: 10-9 Max
R5: 10-9 Dustin
48-46 Dustin

Should be a draw. but judges gonna judge

What are some of you people watching?

Poirier won rounds 1, 2, and 5 clearly, with 1 being a possible 10-8. While I gave round 4 to Holloway, it was close, and I don't think the judges are insane to give it to Poirier. So that's 3-2 Poirier at worst.

I love Max Holloway as a fighter, and from a fan perspective, would have preferred he won, but there was nothing even remotely controversial about that decision.

Imo
R1: 10-8 Dustin
R2: 10-9 Dustin
R3: 10-9 Max
R4: 10-9 Max
R5: 10-9 Dustin
48-46 Dustin

Can't see giving a 10-8 even under new rules. Maybe it's just optics and I'm wrong, but when a I see a guy get tagged a couple times and if affects him BUT he then resets and starts throwing back that's way different to me than rd 5 of Izzy/Kelvin where you literally had Kelvin holding on for dear life to survive. Rd 1 of Max/Dustin was probably CLOSE to a 10-8, but I just don't think it was quite enough.

Rd 5 was razor close. I gave it to Max but nobody should really argue either way. I have no problem with Dustin getting the nod in this one. He had easily the most meaningful moments in the fight and it's pretty damn cool to see him come up big in a fight like this. He deserves it.

What are some of you people watching?

Poirier won rounds 1, 2, and 5 clearly, with 1 being a possible 10-8. While I gave round 4 to Holloway, it was close, and I don't think the judges are insane to give it to Poirier. So that's 3-2 Poirier at worst.

I love Max Holloway as a fighter, and from a fan perspective, would have preferred he won, but there was nothing even remotely controversial about that decision.

Poirier didn't win round 5 "clearly". It was a very close round. You can't win a very close round clearly. There was nothing controversial about Dustin Poirer winning.

Poirier didn't win round 5 "clearly". It was a very close round. You can't win a very close round clearly. There was nothing controversial about Dustin Poirer winning.

Agree. This is one of those fights where either way, nobody should be complaining. That said, even though round by round I gave it to Max, I'm kinda glad Dustin won because if you look at the totality of the fight he clearly had the most meaningful moments. Under the old Pride rules where the fight was judged in its totality, I'd score it for Dustin for sure. Rds 1 and 2 he was tagging Max and the fight looked one-sided. To his credit Max came back and imo won the next 3 rounds, but only round 3 was any sort of clear. Rds 4 and 5 were insanely close, so giving Dustin one of them shouldn't make anyone upset.

Agree. This is one of those fights where either way, nobody should be complaining. That said, even though round by round I gave it to Max, I'm kinda glad Dustin won because if you look at the totality of the fight he clearly had the most meaningful moments. Under the old Pride rules where the fight was judged in its totality, I'd score it for Dustin for sure. Rds 1 and 2 he was tagging Max and the fight looked one-sided. To his credit Max came back and imo won the next 3 rounds, but only round 3 was any sort of clear. Rds 4 and 5 were insanely close, so giving Dustin one of them shouldn't make anyone upset.

Yeah exactly buddy, everyone should just calm down and be happy for such a close fight. This way, you can play captain hindsight 20/20 and get away with whatever. Bet Dustin? yeah waddup told you he right side value value value cash that follow me on twitter instagram for betting tips. Bet Holloway? Welp close fight should be 48-47 Holloway but close fight it is what it is

Careful back-pedaling so hard; you might trip. The post I was responding to was

which is heavily implying the judges screwed up by giving Poirier the fight.

Jeez IDK. Depends on how its presented I guess. I can say "Should have been a draw" without screaming bloody murder that it was a robbery. I mean, if you say a fight should have been a draw you are inherently acknowledging the fight is as close as a fight can possibly be. Which would mean that either guy winning a close decision OR a draw are in play and are hard to criticize.

The 49-46 scores were...off. But if people are truly complaining about Dustin getting that decision they need to step back and take a deep breath. The ONLY round he clearly lost was round 3. And he CLEARLY won rds 1 and 2. Rds 4 and 5 were very close. Him getting one of them should not upset ANYONE.

And I'll edit here: I say the scores were "off" only because I thought it weird that all 3 judges would give Dustin rds 4 and 5. I kinda don't get that. But since they were very close rounds, I probably shouldn't even say the scores were bad.

The 49-46 scores were...off.

I disagree. I also disagree that round 5 was as close as you think. (Holloway had one good flurry but was hurt multiple times and lost about 4 minutes of the round)

That being said, your statement of "it was a close fight and no one should complain" is perfectly reasonable. betterthanjones's statement of "Judges screwed up by not having it a draw", however, is not.

Careful back-pedaling so hard; you might trip. The post I was responding to was

which is heavily implying the judges screwed up by giving Poirier the fight.

What I was actually implying to on the judges part was more on the 49-46 across. 48-47 is fair. I do think the fight was a draw, that's what I scored it. Careful over implying on opinions, it makes you very edgy.

What I was actually implying to on the judges part was more on the 49-46 across. 48-47 is fair. I do think the fight was a draw, that's what I scored it. Careful over implying on opinions, it makes you very edgy.
i was betting on Max but called 49-46 before the judges did

Poirier came through. Can't believe I got his dec line @ +1000.

Israel underwhelmed me a decent amount. Put a bit on him since I felt like he should have been a lock, not dragged into a war by a fat WW with a 6 inch reach disadvantage and one hand.

My boy Belal didn't dissapoint me. I'm glad that I max bet him especially when he was the dog. Knew he is the better fighter. He even placed a lot of good shots standing up. :) It's nice to win a bet for a change.

Back